Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
gto55
macrumors 6502a

Could Disney be working with Apple on a new Gaming Console Called Toy Box?

Apple back in the console wars ?

Could Disney be working with Apple on a new Gaming Console Called Toy Box?

Quote:
In October the New York Times reported that several new initiatives were underway at Disney to finally get their online business to stop bleeding cash.
The New York Times concludes their report by reasoning that "given Disney's ties with Pixar, which is also connected to Apple, which certainly has aspirations of their own, it's not such a crazy idea if one truly thinks about it."Well, interestingly enough, Disney's gaming- console may in fact be real and our report points to that proof.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/01/could-disney-be-working-with-apple-on-a-new-gaming-console-called-toy-box.html

gto55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
malman89
macrumors 65816

Sounds like an awful idea that would just bleed more cash for Disney. I think - if done right - it could really cripple Nintendo, who I thought of when I saw those blatant DS rip off drawings.

Disney could very easily take away the kiddie gaming market from Nintendo. Kids these days don't care or perhaps even know about Mario, Zelda, etc. They have no real incentive to buy into the Nintendo brand unless their parents introduce it to them. Many families have a Wii because it was the only family friendly option on the market. Disney could capture this.

However, this market does not seem large enough in my opinion to result in a profitable move by Disney. Start up costs for any console - let alone a next-gen one described in the blog - are astronomical. Then you need to get developers to hop on board. After that, then you will most certainly have to sell at a loss for some time.

Is Disney willing to risk that much to what is certainly a stretch gamble? I know it is Disney and the war chest has to be pretty stocked, but I'm not sure that's a smart bet worth placing.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
rhett7660
macrumors 604

As long as it has a Disney on it, not Apple I am all for it. Apple can help with the UI and design but I hope they stay out of this area.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Doesn't Disney have loads of these 'consoles' its just that people don't classify or see them in the same way they do with Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft.

If Disney are working on a new console, I imagine its another e-leaning bastard child.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion