Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Injuries don't mean a player isn't as good as previously thought, when he's 100% he's phenomenal. He's clearly not 100% right now.
No, but I wouldn't sit him just because he has a boo-boo. If you sit in a playoff game, you should really be hurt.

On the other hand, I think the chatter about RG3 not being able to play his style of football for a lengthy career are accurate. The guy takes punishing hits way too often. He's in his first year and has already been banged up and knocked around. Same reason I wouldn't want Vick as my QB.
Unlike Vick, RG3 still has time to learn how to protect himself. But if anyone wants Vick, I'll go pick him up and deliver him to any team in the league. Get him out of Philly!

----------

This could be the exciting game of the week we've all been waiting for. The last three were stinkers.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
No, but I wouldn't sit him just because he has a boo-boo. If you sit in a playoff game, you should really be hurt.

He's been playing on one leg for weeks now. I don't think the guy's toughness is in question.

grapes911 said:
Unlike Vick, RG3 still has time to learn how to protect himself.

From the games I've seen, Russell Wilson seems to be the ideal combination of a QB that can and will run, but doesn't pretend to be a running back. He runs effectively but it seems he doesn't get pancaked as much.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
From the games I've seen, Russell Wilson seems to be the ideal combination of a QB that can and will run, but doesn't pretend to be a running back. He runs effectively but it seems he doesn't get pancaked as much.

When the season started I didn't have any faith in Wilson. I thought he was going to be a complete bust. The guy really proved me wrong. I enjoy watching him play. I wouldn't mind building a team around this guy. Being able to hand the ball off to Lynch 15-20 times a game helps too (and that doesn't take anything way from Wilson).

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I like Cousins but this is the playoffs and Seattle just scored. RG3 needs to play or he isn't the player we all think he is.

I agree, this is the playoffs, and yes Seattle just scored (14-13, now). More the reason we need a good, capable, QB that can run if he needs to.

With the QB option out, RG3 only has two choices - handoff to Morris, or throw it. His throws aren't as good since his leg can't be planted correctly. Therefore, only choice is to run it with Morris. Something that, if I figured out, I'm sure the Seahawks have also figured out...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Regardless of RGIII's knee Seattle has a bigger problem with their kicker with a twisted ankle. That and the turf is really bad. It's making cuts very difficult for both teams. I see the second half being a passing game.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
That looked really bad. RG3 may be done for the game. Legs aren't supposed to bend that way.

That woud have looked bad had he not previously injured that right knee - but on a bad knee already? He's not coming back. And you have to question the wisdom of bringing him back in the game down 1 score, when the previous possession he was visibly limping.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
And you have to question the wisdom of bringing him back in the game down 1 score, when the previous possession he was visibly limping.

This. After he could barely run out of bounds, I can't understand why they didn't bring in Cousins. If he can't move around, throw, or run, he's a liability and would only hurt himself and the team.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Unless Den or NE show us something next week, I don't see anybody in the AFC within spitting distance of the Lombardi Trophy. I would like to see perhaps the last time Manning and Brady go against each other if both make it to AFC championships. If Baltimore goes to the Super Bowl it will be fun to see what is Ray Lewis' last run in the playoffs.

The four teams in the NFC are solid and have been so for some time. GB should take it in a close one over my SF with Rodgers and the NFL's most dangerous set of wide receivers. If somebody can stop GB and their passing attack now it is the Niners. Seattle looks like they are still on high and can take Atlanta if all goes well. Either Seattle or Atlanta will win the Super Bowl. My pick for third most likely team is a tie between GB who I slightly favor over a Denver or New England. Houston has shown they haven't lost all momentum but I am not sure they can beat NE in NE.

If Seattle does meet SF in the NFC championship, they fill meet a totally different 49ers organization and won't walk away with a blowout. Seattle's QB has put up the best numbers for an NFL beginner but I don't know if he could be SF's defense a second time in a short period. If SF can somehow get past GB and have to meet Seattle, I will be very excited.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If Seattle does meet SF in the NFC championship, they fill meet a totally different 49ers organization and won't walk away with a blowout. Seattle's QB has put up the best numbers for an NFL beginner but I don't know if he could be SF's defense a second time in a short period. If SF can somehow get past GB and have to meet Seattle, I will be very excited.

Interesting stat of the day :

The Redskins did not run a single play in Seahawks territory after the first quarter. They are the only team to not run an offensive play in opponent territory after the first quarter in any playoff game over the last 10 years

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Unless Den or NE show us something next week, I don't see anybody in the AFC within spitting distance of the Lombardi Trophy. I would like to see perhaps the last time Manning and Brady go against each other if both make it to AFC championships. If Baltimore goes to the Super Bowl it will be fun to see what is Ray Lewis' last run in the playoffs.

The four teams in the NFC are solid and have been so for some time. GB should take it in a close one over my SF with Rodgers and the NFL's most dangerous set of wide receivers. If somebody can stop GB and their passing attack now it is the Niners. Seattle looks like they are still on high and can take Atlanta if all goes well. Either Seattle or Atlanta will win the Super Bowl. My pick for third most likely team is a tie between GB who I slightly favor over a Denver or New England. Houston has shown they haven't lost all momentum but I am not sure they can beat NE in NE.

Ive grown to love your mini novels bud :p

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Unless Den or NE show us something next week, I don't see anybody in the AFC within spitting distance of the Lombardi Trophy.

And I thought only Colorado and Oregon legalized pot. Keep enjoying whatever it is you are smoking.:rolleyes:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
And I thought only Colorado and Oregon legalized pot. Keep enjoying whatever it is you are smoking.:rolleyes:

Truth hurts and that's why I say GB will beat SF and of all the teams I would rather lose to, GB is not one of them. What I want if SF, but what is more likely to happen is GB winning, even with SF having had the bye. I am a hard core SF fan but I know when we meet a better team. We beat NE, sure that's cool, and we took out the Steelers last year in regular season, but this is Green Bay we are talking about and a different story. This game, more than any other against SF, will show how good or bad the Niners are. BTW that's why l like Mac Dawg because he calls it like he sees it even when his team is on the line.

And I assume you are a Denver fan? Part of me would like to see Denver go out there and have a Super Bowl rematch with San Francisco. How great would that be? I see it in the local papers a lot, but it's not that likely though it fills the bill for wishful thinking. Both Manning brothers are like rock stars in San Francisco, and possibly all over the country. Denver and New England looked good against bad AFC opponents but this is a different situation now.

I write what I think will happen and as much as I get pissed off of having a historical Green Bay or Dallas ('90s era) get in the way of the Niners, if the opponent is better I try to say so. Rodgers is so hot right now with four great receivers that he would destroy a Denver or New England. The AFC is just not there and hasn't been in the last four out of five years in the Super Bowl.

We look at the two times NE lost against a team with a pedestrian record like the NY Giants but what people fail to see is WHO NY had to beat to even get that record or to get into Super Bowl (Smith led 49ers, Packers, Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles). It wasn't an easy path for Manning and NY to get to either Super Bowl and the hard schedule didn't tell the whole story about the numbers behind their regular season records. It's no shock that someone like a Giants beat NE twice in five years. On NE's side, they had great records but didn't play the best as much.

Again, in 2013 we have two AFC teams in #1 and #2 seeds but having played an arguable easy schedule in weak divisions. That's why I say nobody in AFC has a chance in Super Bowl. There's a reason in last 4 our of 5 years an NFC team took it. I don't want to see the cheese heads beat their chest again and put up another stupid banner in their facility (which btw, has been out of space for banners) but it's a pretty good possibility if Atlanta or SF doesn't get there. Just as likely is Seattle.

Like the 1990s, the real Super Bowl will be played on the NFC side, similar to the '90s when you had strong Niners, Packers, and Cowboys teams all playing on levels no AFC team could attempt to match. In the 3 years that SF and Dallas met in NFC championship, the papers got it right calling that the Super Bowl and the winner was to be the go ahead winner for Super Bowl, which was just merely a formality.

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

Part of me would like to see Denver go out there and have a Super Bowl rematch with San Francisco. How great would that be? I see it in the local papers a lot, but it's not that likely though it fills the bill for wishful thinking. Denver and New England look good against bad AFC opponents but this is a different situation now.

I write what I think will happen and as much as I get pissed off of having a historical Green Bay or Dallas ('90s era) get in the way of the Niners, if the opponent is better I try to say so. Rodgers is so hot right now with four great receivers that he would destroy a Denver or New England. The AFC is just not there and hasn't been in the last four out of five years.

We look at the two times NE lost against a team with a pedestrian record like the NY Giants but what people fail to see is WHO NY had to beat to even get that record or to get into Super Bowl (Smith led 49ers, Packers, Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles). It wasn't an easy path for Manning and NY to get to either Super Bowl and the hard schedule didn't tell the whole story about the numbers behind their regular season records. It's no shock that someone like a Giants beat NE twice in five years. On NE's side, they had great records but didn't play the best as much.

Again, in 2013 we have two AFC teams in #1 and #2 seeds but having played an arguable easy schedule in weak divisions. That's why I say nobody in AFC has a chance in Super Bowl. There's a reason in last 4 our of 5 years an NFC team took it. Sure, I risk pissing off half of the football fans here, but unless AFC gets better, they are going to win on average a Super Bowl for every four or five they play. I don't want to see the cheese heads beat their chest again and put up another stupid banner in their facility (which btw, has been out of space for banners) but it's a pretty good possibility if Atlanta or SF doesn't get there. I hope the eventual AFC champ puts up a fight in Super Bowl but the real fighting, at least in this era, will be on the NFC side. The 1970s and 2000s were a better time for AFC, while NFC had the 1980s and 1990s, and last half of the decade for dominance.

Like the 1990s, the real Super Bowl will be played on the NFC side, similar to the '90s when you had strong Niners, Packers, and Cowboys teams all playing on levels no AFC team could attempt to match. In the 3 years that SF and Dallas met in NFC championship, the papers got it right calling that the real Super Bowl and the winner of NFC championship was the go ahead winner for Super Bowl, which was just merely a formality.

If anything, there is more motivation for NE or Denver to win, at least from the perspective of the quarterbacks. Neither has too many years left in NFL and while both have felt what it's like to win the Super Bowl and have great career numbers, both lost in their last appearances in the big game. If I were them I would want to leave this league as a winner so if this is last Super Bowl in career, which is a distinct possibility for either great quarterback, then there's that extra reason to win it all that no other quarterback has. Nobody puts Brady (3-2) or Manning (1-1) in the same sentence as Bradshaw (4) or Montana (4) in the context of Super Bowl because the latter two never lost that game. At the very least, for postseason dominance, a Brady or P. Manning need that last Super Bowl win if that is the case.

Last edited:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The RG3 decision is a crapshoot. If Shanahan took RG3 out and the Redskins lost, everyone would be questioning why especially in a playoff game (see: Bears taking out Cutler 2 years ago). We all have our opinion on the injury but I'm sure Shanahan asked RG3 if he could play, it's not like Shanahan forced him out there.

As for no one in the AFC within spitting distance of Lombardi Trophy? I think it's the opposite. If anything I think the AFC has the better chance of winning it than the NFC. Outside of Green Bay, I personally don't think SEA, ATL or SF is can last against NE, DEN, BAL or HOU.

Wilson is playing phenomenal football but like the rest of the QB's his rookie class, I expect him to hit that rookie wall. ATL still needs to prove they can win in the playoffs and SF? Well they're just confusing. Everyone claims they're the best/most complete team in the NFC but they haven't been playing like that in December going into the playoffs.

As for the AFC, two names: Manning and Brady. Ravens are playing for Ray Lewis. Houston would be the "odd" team out if you had to choose who to lose from the AFC.

I mean crazier things have happened. The Giants last year. Packers few years back playing all road games to make it to the SB and then winning it. It should be a fun month of football.

My Super Bowl prediction:

Green Bay: just because I think they are the best in the NFC despite their record. And of course they have a guy name Rodgers.

Denver: the same old Peyton Manning but this time, he's bringing/has a legit defense on the other side of the ball unlike all those Colts teams he was on.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
As for no one in the AFC within spitting distance of Lombardi Trophy? I think it's the opposite. If anything I think the AFC has the better chance of winning it than the NFC. Outside of Green Bay, I personally don't think SEA, ATL or SF is can last against NE, DEN, BAL or HOU.

If what you say is true, then the AFC has turned a corner which we sorely need.

Nothing makes this sport more fun than when both conferences have great teams which can be said was the case in the 1970s to some degree with Vikes and Cowboys on one side and Steelers and Raiders on other. Those were great times.

I am with ESPN on this who still think, overall, that the NFC has the better players even though the AFC has the legends of Brady and Manning but one player, even them, don't make up a whole team and like they all say, "Defense wins football games".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.