Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Why not choose some decent headphones? Grado, Audio Technica and AKG are a couple of examples, amongst many brands which make much better headphones.

Beats is pure and utter rubbish with excellent marketing. If that's what you want to waste your money on, then go ahead. All of these celebrity endorsed models are equally rubbish so it does not really matter which awesome Dr Dre headphones you choose. Didn't Beats and Dr Dre have a falling out and somebody else makes his headphones now?

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Why not choose some decent headphones? Grado, Audio Technica and AKG are a couple of examples, amongst many brands which make much better headphones.

Beats is pure and utter rubbish with excellent marketing. If that's what you want to waste your money on, then go ahead. All of these celebrity endorsed models are equally rubbish so it does not really matter which awesome Dr Dre headphones you choose. Didn't Beats and Dr Dre have a falling out and somebody else makes his headphones now?

Its a gift for music fan and fashionist more than anything else.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

It's definitely not for anybody that loves music. It's the headphones to use if one hates music and only cares about making a fashion statement. It's your money, but people in this thread are simply trying to point out that you could spend the same money on MUCH BETTER headphones. That's what a real music lover would do.

Also do yourself a favour and check out the Audio Quest DragonFly DAC/Headphone amp. But only if you are a music fan.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
It's definitely not for anybody that loves music. It's the headphones to use if one hates music and only cares about making a fashion statement. It's your money, but people in this thread are simply trying to point out that you could spend the same money on MUCH BETTER headphones. That's what a real music lover would do.

Also do yourself a favour and check out the Audio Quest DragonFly DAC/Headphone amp. But only if you are a music fan.

Damn...

Last edited:

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I just bought a pair of NEW Beats Solo HD headphones (not the Monster ones)

I only paid $89 for them, BRAND NEW on a price match from Staples.....who had the MONSTER SOLO HD's on sale for $89.99.
Nordstrom matched the price and gave me the new NON MONSTER SOLO HD's :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Damn people can't read I swear. I clearly asked for beats recommending. Did not include my own reasons buying them which is more important than anything. I also have Internet. I also own serval pairs worth over $200 each. Instead of being 'all that' just answer to the question I asked or remain quite keeping your ego still..

I've done my homework about other brands. Don't be offended putting blame on me for my input. Instead keep it simple and just answer to the question asked. Simple!

Wow. What an unpleasant response, and what an ugly tone to take. A little gratitude rather than rudeness is a better response to those who take the trouble (and time) to respond to an online query.

You asked a question, and framed it in a way which you hoped would give rise to a desired reply. On the first page of this thread, 15 - yes, that is 15 - out of the 25 posts allowed by the format used - offered a variety of alternative suggestions and you respond rudely. Of course, one can always feel free to disagree with whatever responses are made, but disagreement does not have to be couched in discourteous terms.

A few points occur. Rudeness on the part of the OP does not encourage courtesy from others.

You asked opinions from people who have mostly joined this forum because they like, or, are interested in, Apple products. A liking for premium attractively made products is rarely confined to one product. In practice, this means that many who post here have iPods, love music, and have strong views about both. It also means that these strong views (along with much experience of using high end audio equipment) extends to ear-phones and head-phones. Thus, somebody might have a point to make (based on preference and experience) which may be worth heeding.

You asked a question to which 15 people on the first page gave an answer which wasn't what you wanted to hear; there is no call to be rude. Use it as an information gathering exercise instead, and learn some new ideas and information from it.

Anyway, I add my voice to the fifteen; there are many better headphones than Beats in existence, and you might want to know about them. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, B & W all make very good head phones.

I read your OP but i cant recommend beats without at least advising another brand that is better. If you do infact own several pairs of expensive cans why are you asking such a simple question as it is clear the pro's are the flagship beats? No need to be rude or you will find little help on these forums from me at least.

Very good response, and I'm in agreement with it.

Again, agree completely.

And again, I agree with you.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Wow. What an unpleasant response, and what an ugly tone to take. A little gratitude rather than rudeness is a better response to those who take the trouble (and time) to respond to an online query.

Guy got lectured the whole way through. Made it pretty clear that he wanted recs on the best of this brand and the whole way caught flack for not wanting something else.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Guy got lectured the whole way through. Made it pretty clear that he wanted recs on the best of this brand and the whole way caught flack for not wanting something else.

You see what I'm saying? It doesn't take science to answer to a specific question. Thanks man!
Damn..

taylord22

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Beats are the worst value in headphones...if you want a bass-y headphone that can actually perform...get the ATH-M50 or some KRK KNS 6400s. If you want mac daddy of the bass sounds, try out the Sony MDRXB700...it will blow your friend's Beats out of the water.

Don't buy the marketing hype...not one industry expert has evaluated the beats to a satisfactory auditory level. In fact, the new Apple headphones out performed them in soundstage quality...not a joke

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/beats-pro-high-performance/4852-7877_7-34210289.html

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598436/the-hate-on-beats-why

Don't pay mind to the reviews on Amazon...those are people that didn't compare sound quality. And comparing headphones at Best Buy is pointless...Beats requires them to be separated from the competing headphones, and more importantly, have a different music source generally powered by a larger amp.

Beats headphones are like Bose home theater speakers...their perceived value is driven by price, when in reality, a $200 set of Polks could outperform an $800 Bose set...let alone Klipsch, Energy, etc, that are still likely less than Bose and GREATLY outperform every bose set on the market.

Do your research on a sound quality forum vs. here...Headfi...avsforum...

I know you said you have done your homework, but if you've chosen Beats over ATs, Sennheiser, etc...you clearly haven't been doing it in the right place. That's not an opinion, it's just a fact.

If you don't care about audio quality then by all means...buy the noise cancelling studios for $300...they're the only Beats 'can' that's scored in a respectable range

Last edited:

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
The OP said it's a gift for a music fan and a fashionista. Beats are in style, they're a part of fashion. It would be like saying "why would you buy a Burberry scarf when the $5 scarf would keep you just as warm". The other headphones may get better scores, but there's no sexiness to them.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

What do you expect? Ask about overpriced garbage headphones on any tech forum and you'll get the same response. Just pick whatever ones your friend thinks are the prettiest since that's all he/she cares about if they really want beats.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Can anyone recommend me the best beats by dr.dre (yes only beats) Preferably Bluetooth enable with deepest bass possible. Thanks in advance.

If you want to limit your options to the Beats series, you'll need to decide whether the deepest bass possible is more important than wireless capability.

The Dr. Dre Beats Wireless is the only wireless over-the-ear option they make.

However, if you want heavy, heavy bass your best option is the
Dr. Dre Beats Mixr, which has the most bass of the series but no wireless functionality.

That said, all of Dr. Dre's headphones are pretty bass heavy, but the Wireless has the weakest bass of the over the ear headphones they make. Still the bass is a lot more assertive than more balanced headphones that others in this thread are suggesting for you. But if bass is what you prefer you should get what you want as audiophiles are a dime a dozen on the Internet. No offense, folks. :D

P.S If you're considering other brands and have cash to flash may I suggest: Bowers + Wilkins P5.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota

You could of put this in the OP rather than be a dink when people started recommending other brands.

The way you phrased your original question was just asking for recommendations of other brands.

Seiman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Damn, hate people that says that u should get other types of headsett when you are asking for what pair of beats u should get, i think its just stupid amd idiotic, ok vut for the real objective, i think you should get the Beats solo HD wireless if u want a bluetooth headsett that have deep bass and are wireless ofc, but if u want the best of the beats its the pros because of the deep and clear bass whit the amazing music quality the sad thing is because of the deep bass the sound quality is below the quality of the studios here are some info on the beats.

Beats PROS
The sound clearity is amazing and it has a clear and deep bass in them, they also are the most practicle ones when listening to musicmwhit their stretch out wire and the possibility to make the earcufs turn around 360 degrees, they are also the best at unleakage so if u dont want people to hear what u are listening to these are the best, the sad things is that after some hours your ears will hurt becquse of the ear pufs that are middle comfertable to wear they are also the most "descread to wear if you look away from the tours and solos.

Studios
I am wearin a pair of them when im wiritng this :p these are the most comfortable pf aøø the beats and they are the pair that dre have worked most whit acctauly so the msuic quality is toally amazing feels like you are in another universe wheb putting them on, you can wear em in many hours before it sta hurting, they also have many features in them like the built in mute button on the side and the great sound cancelation to make you not hear anything from the outside, the sad thing is that these dosnt have bass before u have an EQ on ur computer or phone/tablet reasson for that is that the bass makes e sound quality a bit grumsy so to get bass just use an EQ (u can feel the bass in headsett and it feels amazing) the light earpufs makes them comfertable and makes the bass pump hard in your ears, but they leak as hell! So if you dont want people to hear ur music DONT PURCHASE THESE!!

Solo HD/wireless
Samme as studios just the pufs aint so comfertable and its a deep bass build in already pluss a little grumsier sound quality ofc they leak less than the studios and are perfect for students, they will leak over 75% of volume and they dont have all the other fancy things that the studios can but these are a bit cheap whit great enough sound quality, THE WIRELESS SET COST AS MUCH AS THE STUDIO PAIR X)

Sorry for bad grammar and miss spelling writen everything via ipad keyboard and forgot to take off autocorrection :p Good Luck choosing beats just P.M for more info of other types of beats <3

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Damn, hate people that says that u should get other types of headsett when you are asking for what pair of beats u should get, i think its just stupid amd idiotic, ok vut for the real objective, i think you should get the Beats solo HD wireless if u want a bluetooth headsett that have deep bass and are wireless ofc, but if u want the best of the beats its the pros because of the deep and clear bass whit the amazing music quality the sad thing is because of the deep bass the sound quality is below the quality of the studios here are some info on the beats.

Beats PROS
The sound clearity is amazing and it has a clear and deep bass in them, they also are the most practicle ones when listening to musicmwhit their stretch out wire and the possibility to make the earcufs turn around 360 degrees, they are also the best at unleakage so if u dont want people to hear what u are listening to these are the best, the sad things is that after some hours your ears will hurt becquse of the ear pufs that are middle comfertable to wear they are also the most "descread to wear if you look away from the tours and solos.

Studios
I am wearin a pair of them when im wiritng this :p these are the most comfortable pf aøø the beats and they are the pair that dre have worked most whit acctauly so the msuic quality is toally amazing feels like you are in another universe wheb putting them on, you can wear em in many hours before it sta hurting, they also have many features in them like the built in mute button on the side and the great sound cancelation to make you not hear anything from the outside, the sad thing is that these dosnt have bass before u have an EQ on ur computer or phone/tablet reasson for that is that the bass makes e sound quality a bit grumsy so to get bass just use an EQ (u can feel the bass in headsett and it feels amazing) the light earpufs makes them comfertable and makes the bass pump hard in your ears, but they leak as hell! So if you dont want people to hear ur music DONT PURCHASE THESE!!

Solo HD/wireless
Samme as studios just the pufs aint so comfertable and its a deep bass build in already pluss a little grumsier sound quality ofc they leak less than the studios and are perfect for students, they will leak over 75% of volume and they dont have all the other fancy things that the studios can but these are a bit cheap whit great enough sound quality, THE WIRELESS SET COST AS MUCH AS THE STUDIO PAIR X)

Sorry for bad grammar and miss spelling writen everything via ipad keyboard and forgot to take off autocorrection :p Good Luck choosing beats just P.M for more info of other types of beats <3

Thanks buddy! Really appreciate your detailed review. I also can't take anymore today's people ego and stupidity. They are shut down and really don't listen. It's sad and will only get worst. Just look at new video of Illuminati puppet Keisha "Die Young" and check how many love her and her songs. Same with "Born this way", "Gangham Style" and many more. The subliminal messages hidden in today's entertainment doing nothing but downgrading everyone, brainwashing and separating one from another and the result of it is what we facing here. And like I said it will only get worst...

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
If it's a gift for another person, then obviously WHY would you buy a gift for someone else for a product that is NOT worth the money?

Buy something else you believe in and save the money.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Beats headphones are like Bose home theater speakers...their perceived value is driven by price, when in reality, a $200 set of Polks could outperform an $800 Bose set...let alone Klipsch, Energy, etc, that are still likely less than Bose and GREATLY outperform every bose set on the market.

Indeed. I am surprised how many people buy into the Bose marketing hype.

----------

Is this not a contradiction in itself?

I giggled. Like a school girl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.