Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
My mini has finally arrived wohooo!

2 quick questions. It's just occurred to me that I only have wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad, will that be a problem?

Also, I have got my crucial 16GB RAM here, can I stick that in before I even turn the mini on for the first time, or should I start it up first?

thank you for reading!

Last edited:

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
My mini has finally arrived wohooo!

2 quick questions. It's just occurred to me that I only have wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad, will that be a problem?

Also, I have got my crucial 16GB RAM here, can I stick that in before I even turn the mini on for the first time, or should I start it up first?

thank you for reading!

I always like to start them up first and make sure the OEM stuff works.

mjgriffo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
I dived straight in and installed the memory before it had even booted. Each to their own i guess.

I had to use a wired keyboard/ mouse to setup though.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I'd boot it up first w/o the new RAM just to make sure it works on its own. If there is a problem, you won't know if it came bad or if its something with the RAM. I was able to setup the mini with the wireless keyboard and trackpad only. It took a little futzing (turning keyboard on off / etc) but it eventually all paired fine. OS X just sits there trying to pair with anything it can find if its not paired with a keyboard and mouse.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks guys!

Connected it to my cinema display, turned on wireless mouse and keyboard, et voila, it works! Now I just gotta stick in the RAM.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Swapping RAM took about 3 minutes :D

Amazing how cool and quiet this machine is. I'm reluctant to lock it away inside a cupboard now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.