seting up mini with wireless keyboard/mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by knarzie, Jan 7, 2013.

1. knarzie, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

knarzie macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2008
    My mini has finally arrived wohooo!

2 quick questions. It's just occurred to me that I only have wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad, will that be a problem?

Also, I have got my crucial 16GB RAM here, can I stick that in before I even turn the mini on for the first time, or should I start it up first?

thank you for reading!
  2. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

Mar 4, 2009
    I always like to start them up first and make sure the OEM stuff works.
  3. mjgriffo macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012
    I dived straight in and installed the memory before it had even booted. Each to their own i guess.

I had to use a wired keyboard/ mouse to setup though.
  4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2012
    I'd boot it up first w/o the new RAM just to make sure it works on its own. If there is a problem, you won't know if it came bad or if its something with the RAM. I was able to setup the mini with the wireless keyboard and trackpad only. It took a little futzing (turning keyboard on off / etc) but it eventually all paired fine. OS X just sits there trying to pair with anything it can find if its not paired with a keyboard and mouse.
  5. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2008
    Thanks guys!

Connected it to my cinema display, turned on wireless mouse and keyboard, et voila, it works! Now I just gotta stick in the RAM.
  6. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2008
    Swapping RAM took about 3 minutes :D

Amazing how cool and quiet this machine is. I'm reluctant to lock it away inside a cupboard now.