Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I watched this Ubuntu video on their mobile OS today and it looks really cool. :eek: Makes me want Apple to move away from the home screen being just rows of icons or icons in folders. I think it could be so much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU&sns=tw
The presenter and video seem like a cheap Apple / Jony Ive copy. Please, please, companies other than Apple: stop copying Apple, what works for Apple does not necessarily work for others.

After I got over the copied presentation, it actually got somewhat interesting. I liked the search and how it presented stuff. I hope Siri goes in "something like this" direction. I don't think Ubuntu mobile will be able to penetrate the markets though. It is is over competitive already.

Last edited:

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I'd really like to be able to completly backup my iphone device onto my computer AND the cloud. Right now, it seems like it has to be one or the other.

Plug it in and click backup. iCloud only effects "automatic" backup.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The presenter and video seem like a cheap Apple / Jony Ive copy. Please, please, companies other than Apple: stop copying Apple, what works for Apple does not necessarily work for others.

After I got over the copied presentation, it actually got somewhat interesting. I liked the search and how it presented stuff. I hope Siri goes in "something like this" direction. I don't think Ubuntu mobile will be able to penetrate the markets though. It is is over competitive already.

An English accent doesn't = Jony Ive copy. I've seen much worse from HP and Google where their designer/product guy has an English accent and shaved head. Doubt that's a coincidence.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple doesn't need to hit iOS 7 out of the park. Not yet. Apple still sells its products at alarming rates and will continue to do so, no matter how lacking the OS may be. Most consumers don't care if the software is old or lacking compared to the competition, it still works easy and fine for them. Now, for you or me, yes I hope Apple does hit iOS 7 out of the park, otherwise they will definitely lose sales to the more "informed" costumers. If iOS 7 is another dud, I will bid my final farewell to iOS.

Exactly, this may be my last go-round with Apple's iPhone. The switch is easy since I use many Google products and use apps that are cross platform such as Dropbox and Evernote, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Exactly, this may be my last go-round with Apple's iPhone. The switch is easy since I use many Google products and use apps that are cross platform such as Dropbox and Evernote, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.

It'll be interesting! Something about me wants to believe they are going to bring a great update to redeem themselves from a poor iOS 6, but then again this is Apple.. :eek:

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
what i would really like to see in iOS 7 is NCSetting like the Cydia tweak. Have toggles in NC. That's what i'm hoping to see. thats probably the only reason i would jailbreak my iPhone 4S to get the NCSetting.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It'll be interesting! Something about me wants to believe they are going to bring a great update to redeem themselves from a poor iOS 6, but then again this is Apple.. :eek:

Well, I have another 10 months before my phone contract expires, so I can wait. :D

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I've always wondered why Android phone makers think users care about the weather so much... I mean really?! I honestly don't mind tapping an icon to see the 5 day weather forecast, and if I want to know what it is now, well then I can look out side can't I?

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
what i would really like to see in iOS 7 is NCSetting like the Cydia tweak. Have toggles in NC. That's what i'm hoping to see. thats probably the only reason i would jailbreak my iPhone 4S to get the NCSetting.

Samsung will sue even harder. :eek:

(They are doing it in their homeland South Korea. Notification center isn't even Samsung's but they chose to sue anyway!)

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Since Apple seems to be resting on their laurels I even stopped buying any stuff for iOS for the moment since I'm not sure how the future will be. I don't like Android, but what are the alternatives? Windows Phone 8 surely not in its current state. I hope Ubuntu Phone will be a success since this just looks so good: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

Major General

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Just integrate something like Bite SMS for faster messaging

Far as UI changes if people want to change the Springboard have something like DreamBoard baked in so users can easily change the UI and have a store for themes

NC settings/toggles

Ability to set default apps

And for Pete sake for us music collectors and Djs add the ability to extend memory in the next iPhone. Being capped off at 64 GB is just about all of my music. Need room for apps and tweaks

Shoot Apple may as well just bring in the Jailbreak community

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Since Apple seems to be resting on their laurels I even stopped buying any stuff for iOS for the moment since I'm not sure how the future will be. I don't like Android, but what are the alternatives? Windows Phone 8 surely not in its current state. I hope Ubuntu Phone will be a success since this just looks so good: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

Friend, Apple products work for the avg. joe because of not only how they look but how they work. This is what design is. If I turn on an iPhone, I know immediately how to use it. Ubuntu seems to rely on gestures for everything. This is bad. Very bad.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Friend, Apple products work for the avg. joe because of not only how they look but how they work. This is what design is. If I turn on an iPhone, I know immediately how to use it. Ubuntu seems to rely on gestures for everything. This is bad. Very bad.
Even if sales are stable for now Apple has to provide something better. iOS6 basically looks the same as iOS1.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Even if sales are stable for now Apple has to provide something better. iOS6 basically looks the same as iOS1.

Yeah and the average joe probably doesn't care. You know the same people who use windows PC's and want their start menu and normal desktop back. :D

I'd like to see something different with iOS 7 but I don't want Apple to change just for the sake of change or because some geeks on tech sites are bored with iOS.

----------

I re-watched that Ubuntu video and I see what you're saying about everything being gesture based. That could be very confusing for people. I guess what I liked about it is it got away from the tired row of icons we have in iOS but is cleaner than the live tiles and bright colors with Windows 8.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Just google for "iOS 6 boring", "iPhone 5 disappointment". Why aren't there any kind of widgets until now? Where's the spirit gone we've seen almost a decade ago? I remember the day I bought my iPod Nano, I was so excited.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Most people that I know who use iPhones are very happy with how it looks and how it works. They want simple and they want it to look the same so what they have learned will still work and they don't have to relearn all the time. I'm more interested in function that what the UI looks like and I'll bet that a majority of Apple users feel the same way.
Not that I don't want changes but I really want more functions than changing the way it all looks and works.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Cross application sharing and not just Facebook and Twitter.

This needs to happen.

----------

Most people that I know who use iPhones are very happy with how it looks and how it works. They want simple and they want it to look the same so what they have learned will still work and they don't have to relearn all the time. I'm more interested in function that what the UI looks like and I'll bet that a majority of Apple users feel the same way.
Not that I don't want changes but I really want more functions than changing the way it all looks and works.

Most people that I know who use the iPhone are tired of staring at the same thing and would welcome an update to the UI (this includes soccer moms, dorky fathers, teachers, etc). This argument cannot be had or won unless a world wide poll is done.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just google for "iOS 6 boring", "iPhone 5 disappointment". Why aren't there any kind of widgets until now? Where's the spirit gone we've seen almost a decade ago? I remember the day I bought my iPod Nano, I was so excited.

I don't get people's obsession with widgets. What's the big deal about them?

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Cross application sharing and not just Facebook and Twitter.

This needs to happen.

----------

Most people that I know who use the iPhone are tired of staring at the same thing and would welcome an update to the UI (this includes soccer moms, dorky fathers, teachers, etc). This argument cannot be had or won unless a world wide poll is done.

Why the hell are you and your friends just staring at your phone. Learn to download apps and actually use it. Duh. It's not apples fault you're boring.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Looking at my schedule without opening an app?

Let's see, android users flood their home screen with widgets, leaving them with only enough space for a few apps, the rest are hidden in the app drawer.

On iOS, the apps that you use most can simply go onto the dock on your home screen, one tap and you are there

So tapping once on your phone is difficult eh

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
An English accent doesn't = Jony Ive copy. I've seen much worse from HP and Google where their designer/product guy has an English accent and shaved head. Doubt that's a coincidence.
There's also the identical white background, some elevator music in the at the save volume, identical camera angles, near identical font and overall same look 'n feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.