Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
We absolutely need some sort of shared container to access files across different apps. This is becoming a major problem, even on the Mac with iCloud.

Quick access to Wifi, Bluetooth and more would be nice. App specific gestures also, on the iPad.

Finally, Apple basic apps need some gigantic improvements. This is becoming embarrassing.

I don't want a redesign, nor widgets.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The problem on older devices (especially iPad 1) is that iOS isn't perfect about reclaiming memory. Safari for example will receive memory warnings and only allow 1 tab in memory unless you manually close other apps. Only a problem for old devices, but of course one day all if our current kit is going to be in this situation.

That's why I tried to avoid upgrading my iPod touch to iOS 6. Apple just doesn't seem to give a **** about optimizing for older devices.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
One thing:

No more skeuomorphism!

Agreed however skumorphism should not be confused with metaphor. Apple has always used metaphors extremely well in its software - think about the acceleration you see when scrolling through a list, it has a physicality to it that makes it immediately obvious how it works. Take a page turn in iBooks or the page curl of the maps app - these all enhance the software greatly. Yes you can argue over the stitched leather textures and you can of course stretch a metaphor too far, but compared to the coldness of Windows 8 and the 'Homebrew' feel of Android, I must say I prefer it,

MountainJew

Suspended
Aug 3, 2012
ATX
Agreed however skumorphism should not be confused with metaphor. Apple has always used metaphors extremely well in its software - think about the acceleration you see when scrolling through a list, it has a physicality to it that makes it immediately obvious how it works. Take a page turn in iBooks or the page curl of the maps app - these all enhance the software greatly. Yes you can argue over the stitched leather textures and you can of course stretch a metaphor too far, but compared to the coldness of Windows 8 and the 'Homebrew' feel of Android, I must say I prefer it,

I believe that in certain apps skeuomorphism is necessary, but like you said, Calendar, Find My Friends, etc. look awful.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I think, due to the fact that the majority of iPhone users do not frequent these forums, or any tech forum at all, and they really don't mind the current way the OS works, Apple won't really have the necessity to change things much. And it might also be a bad move for them to change things. Android is for "geeks", iOS is for "everyone"

romanhdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I hope apple improves Siri in a different way. Typically, Siri "sleeps" until you invoke it. I know a lot of people who never use Siri, simply because they forget that they can.

Apple could make it so Siri initiates conversations with the user (maybe something like google now). I think this is the next step of the whole "assistant in your phone" idea.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I think, due to the fact that the majority of iPhone users do not frequent these forums, or any tech forum at all, and they really don't mind the current way the OS works, Apple won't really have the necessity to change things much. And it might also be a bad move for them to change things. Android is for "geeks", iOS is for "everyone"

I think the whole "geeks" versus "non-geeks" thing is a false dichotomy. "Geeks" benefit from all that makes iOS great as much as "non-geeks". Stability, simplicity, speed and battery life are amongst the reasons why I prefer iOS over Android.. And I consider myself to be a "geek".

nickharris1992

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
California
NFC is a solution that is still looking for a problem to solve.

If google wallet is truly making progress, google would't be copying passbook.

Your just mimicking Phil Schiller. https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/12/apple-senior-vice-president-phil-schiller-on-nfc-wireless-charging-and-the-lightning-connector/
In the words of Steve jobs "Customers don't know what they want". There doesn't have to be a problem to solve to be innovative. I think that NFC is something that Customers want they just don't realize it yet. Your reasoning is why Apple has lost some of their "magic". Apple isn't being innovate or taking any type of risks.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Your just mimicking Phil Schiller. https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/12/apple-senior-vice-president-phil-schiller-on-nfc-wireless-charging-and-the-lightning-connector/
In the words of Steve jobs "Customers don't know what they want". There doesn't have to be a problem to solve to be innovative. I think that NFC is something that Customers want they just don't realize it yet. Your reasoning is why Apple has lost some of their "magic". Apple isn't being innovate or taking any type of risks.
I think your mixing up things a bit here. Customers don't want NFC. Customers MAY want an easy way to pay things with the mobile phone and an easy way to interchange media files etc.

NFC is just one way of doing these things, but that's all it is. It is one technical solution to the user requirement, not something that the customer wants in itself.

Including an NFC chip in a phone is not innovation. Impleting the service that utilizes NFC or other things and helps the user experience... now that could be innovation if executed in a smart way.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
How hard is it to put the actual temperature on the weather icon? I'm not quite sure about you, but this: iOS Resizable App Icons Concept would be a very welcomed OPTION in my opinion.

I agree, that would be very welcomed and I think the best way to implement that sort of thing. I've always thought Apple should follow the Windows Phone 8 live icons style rather than Androids widgets.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I think your mixing up things a bit here. Customers don't want NFC. Customers MAY want an easy way to pay things with the mobile phone and an easy way to interchange media files etc.

NFC is just one way of doing these things, but that's all it is. It is one technical solution to the user requirement, not something that the customer wants in itself.

Including an NFC chip in a phone is not innovation. Impleting the service that utilizes NFC or other things and helps the user experience... now that could be innovation if executed in a smart way.

I think it's important to know that NFC can't only be used for wireless payment. There are a lot of other uses for it also:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57478334-285/the-most-practical-creative-ways-to-use-nfc-with-your-android-device/

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How hard is it to put the actual temperature on the weather icon? I'm not quite sure about you, but this: iOS Resizable App Icons Concept would be a very welcomed OPTION in my opinion.

I use the fahrenheit app which has a badge icon notification that displays the temperature. Works for me.

mzm.gohbdnfw.175x175-75.jpg

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
I want bluetooth enabled transfers for files between other devices! This could go along with the download folder someone mentioned earlier. That's a great idea too!

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
- Unified design! No more cheap leather or stitching, it looks so tacky.
- Redesigned App Store and iTunes, I actually preferred the old ones.
- Better file management, particularly in the Photo app.
- Scrollable folders, quite annoying to have 4 folders called "Games".
- Redesigned music player, again I preferred the old one.
- Improved multitasking

- Ability to display notifications in the lock screen! If I have a reminder coming up, it would be nice to see it by hitting the power button. Currently, one has to unlock the phone and open NC just to see a reminder, not exactly ideal is it.

- Some more life into the OS, it looks a little static as it is. Maybe something animated in the lock screen to liven things up a little. Live icons could also be good, with the ability to disable them of course.

- Ability to set different "Do Not Disturb" times for different days. This is a glaring omission.

- A more attractive Notification Bar, that grey thing isn't very pleasant to look at it. Perhaps a more fluid animation also, the way it drops down is quite boring.

- MUCH MORE capable Notes app. The current one is pathetic. It should be much more functional with bullet points, photos, attachments etc. Also, make the paper white or at least give is an option. I dislike that yellow paper!

- A quicker way to switch Wi-Fi on and off.

- Ability to remove certain built in Apps. I HATE newsstand.

Finally.. just a general aesthetic redesign as the theme is becoming tired. It should be made a little more elegant, perhaps the use of Helvetica Neue would improve things. I'm sure Jony Ive has some ideas.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

NFC has little to no real world application, however. In almost every store I've been in both here in my hometown, the neighboring larger town, and even the big US cities I've been to (Chicago, New York, Washington D.C.), probably only 1 or 2 stores I went into even had NFC. Meanwhile I can use Passbook in so many more places.

Touching phones to share things? Cool, I guess. I tried doing that with my Nexus 7 and it barely worked. It wouldn't send half the time or even connect. It's much easier to send a picture by tapping message and sending it, rather than hope that the picture will send finally on the 5th try. (This is of course speaking from my experience, maybe NFC just hates me).

The only benefit I would really see people getting out of NFC is those NFC tags that change smartphone settings when you tap them, and even then Motorola has it's smart actions system which runs more efficiently via GPS, rather than having to put tags everywhere and remember to tap them.

NFC, at this current point in time, is the same as saying your phone has a 3D screen. It's a gimmick. There's no real practical use out of it yet. Time will change this surely, but right now, it's useless.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

I couldnt care less about what Schiller says

take a look at NFC, what exactly is innovative about it? and what exactly has google done about it that's really pushing the envelope?

you need to stop throwing the word 'innovation' around, innovation doesnt mean satisfying you whiny kids' requests, it's things that you've never thought of before. Like the iPhone.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
I get what you're saying, but I'm referring to the way skeumorphic designs in Mac OS and iOS have resembled their physical counterparts. As I mentioned, the single most similar object to Finder in real life would be a file cabinet. Unlike how Calendar mimics a real leather bound calendar or how the Notes app mimics a yellow pad of lines paper, Finder does not contain textures, colors, or designs meant to mimic real life counterparts. The only exception would be the use of file folder as folder icons.

If Finder is to be interpreted as skeumorphic because of the way it handles data, then the whole OS would be as well. Again, Finder does not have elements of "paper" design, or a window border resembling a metal file cabinet. It is monochromatic and a fine example of how well the OS can look without an ubsession with skeumorphism.

Edit: I do want Finder. But I understand that iOS does not need it. I do however feel the a central repository for documents (PDF,doc, pages, etc) similar to the photo app would be quite helpful. It would also likely mean that users could add/remove document files via the CCK, much like they can photos. Sure hope iOS 7 brings some of these functional changes which many of us will benefit from.

I think he is slightly confused.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I'd like to see the elimination for the need of a "Back" button. Apps like Tweetbot, Reeder, Wunderlist, Instapaper, and many more allow a swipe to the right across the screen to do the same thing as the back button. I really wish that Apple's native apps like Messages, Reminders, Notes, Mail etc. (basically any table view) would do this (and Apple has already given us a taste of this in the Now Playing section of Music.app).

It makes much more sense, and I think that it would help a lot of iPhone 5 users whose back buttons are kind of far away.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
I'd really like to be able to completly backup my iphone device onto my computer AND the cloud. Right now, it seems like it has to be one or the other.

UmichAg

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Siri work offline

Some (many) of Siri's tasks should be able to be completed without having to connect to Apple's servers. It's insane that there's a 10s (or longer) delay after I say, "Text my wife" until it asks what message I want to send.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
when you stream to apple tv, it'd be nice if you didn't have to sit with basically a useless device in hand. i'm pretty sure with the current state of hardware we could do something like stream video to apple tv while continuing to surf on the ipad/iphone.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Ability to make a certain wifi connection your home connection, so that when your phone connects to that wifi, it knows it has arrived home. I would love to use location based reminders to "remind me to X when I get home", but that does not work at the moment. My iPhone never gives me those notifications, because the GPS signal points to a building across the street when I'm at home. Also constantly checking the GPS location really uses a lot of battery.

Also users should be able to assign default apps, fe. the possible Google Maps app over Apple Maps.

On the first point: Try a different maps app. If you get the same result, it's almost certainly a problem with location services.

Here's a little explanation on Location Services:

The GPS chip can take a couple minutes. It needs to be able to "see" at least three satellites. Until it can, the phone estimates its location entirely based on which Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers it can see. If the GPS chip can "see" at least three satellites, the phone can estimate its location based on which cell towers, Wi-Fi hotspots and GPS satellites it can see.

Because of this, you should always expect some error in the phone's estimate of your location. However, maybe Maps thinks your house is on the wrong side of the street.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Do you need to open the app for the temperature to change on the icon?

No, though I'm not sure how frequently it updates.

----------

I watched this Ubuntu video on their mobile OS today and it looks really cool. :eek: Makes me want Apple to move away from the home screen being just rows of icons or icons in folders. I think it could be so much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU&sns=tw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.