Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Engadget, Lego has announced Mindstorms EV3, a new line of kid-friendly robotics designed to introduce children to building and programming robots while also attracting hobbyists and other robot enthusiasts.

mindstorms-500x407.jpg
The new Mindstorms system is powered by the EV3 Intelligent Brick, which features an ARM9 processor, 16MB of flash memory, 64MB of RAM, and the ability to function without the PC that previous Mindstorm systems have been dependent on. Lego has been producing Mindstorms since 1998, but the EV3 is the first version that can be programmed without a computer.

The Intelligent Brick offers full compatibility with iOS and Android devices right out of the box, and a new infrared sensor provides additional control over robots. Mindstorms EV3 also features Linux-based firmware, a USB port, and an SD expansion slot.

ev3-500x506.jpg
We are equipping today's tech-literate generation of children with a more accessible, yet sophisticated robotics kit that meets their tech play expectations and abilities to truly unleash their potential so that they may surprise, impress and excite the world with their creativity.
At launch, the set will include building instructions for 17 robots, like "Reptar" the robotic snake that slithers and "Everstorm" the mohawk-sporting humanoid that can shoot mini spheres while it walks.

Lego has partnered with Autodesk to incorporate its first set of 3D building instructions, which will be released in the form of an iPad app.

Lego Mindstorms EV3 will be available for purchase in the summer of 2013 for $349.99.

Article Link: CES 2013: LEGO Debuts iOS-Compatible LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I really wish I had kids so I had an excuse to buy this...

I'm disappointed, you don't need kids to buy this! In fact, I would buy this because I don't have kids! Kids will just mess it all up! haha

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I doubt it has 64GB of RAM - the nxt brick had 64kb!!!

I wonder if the guys who build Lejos will port it over when this is available. These make incredibly fun experimental/weekend toys for geeks/programmers - especially when combined with a raspberry pi and/or a computer with bluetooth!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I doubt it has 64GB of RAM - the nxt brick had 64kb!!!

I wonder if the guys who build Lejos will port it over when this is available. These make incredibly fun experimental/weekend toys for geeks/programmers - especially when combined with a raspberry pi and/or a computer with bluetooth!

64GB could be it they offer a little camera (USB ?) in or for sound files ... Maybe 64MB ...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Wait...

You had *unmolded* Lego bricks!!! :eek: :p

Haha. I'm sure you knew this but I bet he's referring to all of the "custom" parts that LEGO creates for all the different theme kits. And I agree with the poster you quoted... it's less fun when the pieces assemble more like a model kit and less like a generic "assemble anything you want" building block set.

As for the NXT, when I read the headline, I thought maybe LEGO had come up with a way to use an iPhone or iPod touch as the actual "brain". Instead of that big grey brick, they could just create a piece of LEGO with a dock connector and the wiring to connect sensors and motors. Then the iDevice itself could control everything and you'd have access to even more powerful sensors like the camera, gyroscope, compass, even GPS.

Actually it would probably still be a big brick because you would want batteries to power the LEGO motors. But you could probably sell a "dumb" battery box with a dock connector for much less than an NXT microcontroller.

I'd buy one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.