Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Apple TV Won't update.

It always says 'not successful'. Restart.

Then I restart it and it says the same thing again.

GilesM

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2008
Mine is the same. I gave up! My ATV3 is connected via ethernet, i have heard some opinions on here that if you try again, but join a wireless network (if you have one) it will work.
Have not tried it myself yet...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
There were problems with some aTV3 not being able to update over Ethernet and the fix was to get on a WiFi network and update.

I was actually able to update over Ethernet just fine.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm jealous, I wish I hadn't updated mine. Home sharing issues with iTunes 11 mean, right now, my ATV3 is a hunk of junk. I rolled back iTunes but, alas, ATV insists on iTunes 11 now :(

A visit to Apple TV support forums reveals I'm far from alone.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I'm having this problem too, but my toddler daughter lost the physical remote that came with the AppleTV, so I use the Remote app. I can't configure the wifi with the ethernet plugged in, and I can't reach the AppleTV with the app when the ethernet is unplugged because obviously it is off the network then.

Any ideas?

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Has anyone tried to connect to iTunes and a computer via USB mini cord?
Then update from there?

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Wolffie, I have. But one thing I recently read was to be sure and use a mini USB that's made for data transfer. Some have reported problems when using whatever mini USB they have on hand & if not made to handle data transfer, problems have occurred.

If you go this route, be sure your ATV is disconnected from the TV and anything else first. Plug the mini USB first into your computer, then the ATV. Otherwise the ATV won't appear in iTunes.

EDIT to drop need of power cable as per chenks reply below.

Last edited:

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
If you go this route, be sure your ATV is disconnected from the TV and anything else first. Plug the mini USB first into your computer, then the ATV, then the power cord to the ATV. Otherwise the ATV won't appear in iTunes.

no power is required when connecting to itunes via USB.
you also can't connect the USB whilst an HDMI cable is cable, so no chance of connecting the USB whilst it is still connected to the TV.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
no power is required when connecting to itunes via USB.
you also can't connect the USB whilst an HDMI cable is cable, so no chance of connecting the USB whilst it is still connected to the TV.
Thanks chenks, good to know. I didn't connect my HDMI cable though. I plugged in the power cable as that was listed in the instructions I found but appreciate knowing it's not needed. Thanks again.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Had the same issue on ethernet, unplugged (my WIFI was setup earlier) updated and it worked!

Great work by apple btw, a update that doenst work over ethernet! :eek:

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Didn't work for me either on wired connection. Reading the many posts here, it didn't work for countless others over Ethernet. A shambolic update even by Apple's standards!

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Yeah, brutal experience with this. It's been 10 minutes, and the 'preparing' progress bar isn't even halfway.
Apple's quality control has fallen off a cliff. #

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, brutal experience with this. It's been 10 minutes, and the 'preparing' progress bar isn't even halfway.
Apple's quality control has fallen off a cliff. #
Some people have commented that they let their's go overnight and it was ready the next morning. So don't bail unless you are 100% sure.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
maybe it didn't work for you, but it worked fine for me over ethernet on my 2 ATV3's.

It didnt work for me over ethernet (quickly over wired) and countless others. A networked device update - not working over the preferred network connection? That is bad. And I've done the other update(s) over the same wired connection.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Ok, got it to work. I yanked the cables out, the 'preparing' progress bar had stopped altogether for several minutes.
I then tried updating through iTunes, no dice, it wouldn't show up, or I don't know where to look.
Plugged it back into the TV and Ethernet, tried the update again...then it went much faster...5 mins or so.
Is this what we can expect from the real Apple television in the coming years?
Anyway, works now! Rented The Dark Knights Rises. Hope everyone else can get theirs going.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
Wow, reading all of these posts and considering my bad luck in the past with updates for my ATV3's makes me want to start looking at non-Apple products for future considerations.

Maybe next we'll start hearing about apologies for ATV (a la Maps), then some Apple firings. :D

jonnybb1

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
I can confirm that the WiFi-only update method did work on my ATV3. I now have version 5.1.1.

I had the same issue where it wouldn't get past step #1 of the update process.

Thanx to those who suggested this work-around!

JonnyBB1
Sunny San Diego

Trav1s

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Nowhere, Nebraska
I picked up a refurb unit before Christmas and it updated while being connected with the ethernet without any problems. I am not sure how long it took but it was fine an hour or so after the update started.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Having same trouble with brand new ATV from Apple store. connecting via wired ethernet - I went to a lot of trouble to drag a cable from my router to the basement and back up to the living room where the ATV sits. Seemed to be working...next morning after waking it said "update available"...tried it..got to "update not successful".. Don't know if the Genius will even look at it - tried the make appointment area on the apple local store genius schedule..they don't even have an entry for apple Tv...have Mac...iPod..iPhone..iPad but no Apple TV....does the genius bar service the ATVs? or do I have to return it and buy a new one?

The ATV does seem to be working, but if I can't do a software update I want to find out before my return window closes. Poking around via menus, it says "activation failed (skipped)", so perhaps that's the problem, but I see no way to go back to activation, so maybe I should just return it.

First time I've had an apple product that was such a mess.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I have not tried to update mine to this recent one at all. But, I take it that the chance for the best success is to connect it via an ethernet cable and then do the update?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Having same trouble with brand new ATV from Apple store. connecting via wired ethernet -

First time I've had an apple product that was such a mess.

From other suggestions, I unplugged everything, then reconnected via wireless...rebooted...enabled wifi...and the update went fine. No idea why it would only work on wifi.

Still complains about Activation failed (skipped) but couldn't find any way to fix that, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.