Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
You've started your post with exactly why the cables are not included, because it's not just aimed at iOS products but any product that charges via USB, which means many different cables can be used - even if it was iOS, it's still lightning or 30-pin, which would they give you?

Well, if they're marketing it specifically as an iOS device charging bay, which they seem to be doing, then it would be nice if they would include short iOS style cables to get you started. Agreed about lightning vs 30-pin though. They'd have to pick one. The price point could be higher to reflect the additional cost, and it would be justifiable.

Since they don't include the cables, they shouldn't be advertising it as an iOS device charger. And it should be cheaper.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Absolutely. Silly marketing choice.

But for your other post, this is the key difference, from the specs:

I am sure you can find a USB hub that will provide the appropriate power.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I am sure you can find a USB hub that will provide the appropriate power.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Not consumer level models, just the 16-port or higher "carts" for schools or whatever. You made me curious enough to search a little, let's see:

• Newer Tech. Claims 2.1a capability, but actually only one port supports a 10" tab.
  • This one is 8 ports, so I was slightly off. But I can't seem to find a date. Betting it is more $$$ than the Griffin, as it appears to fall in the more industrial-level "cart" group.
  • Here is one for 2 devices in a car. That's a start. But one review claims it can't even handle charging one Galaxy Tab when the Tab is on. I'll bet it's not actually better than my dual-car-charger that only claims to provide for one large tablet. Unless it's one of those designed-for-Apple issues and is only providing the Samsung .5a. You'd think there would be a home version, maybe I missed it.
  • I have some no name wall-wart-style charger with 4 USBs from Amazon, which claims to handle 2 iPads, but reviews say it burns out charging 2 iPads or 4 phones. I've only used it for up to 3 smaller devices to avoid burning it out. (didn't bother with a link)
  • I've looked through a few wall receptacles, too. But they all seem to stop at 2.1a total rating, not each port. Example.
  • Here's a power strip with 4 USB. Still only one 2.1a.

I would love to see one, don't get me wrong. But all these companies have pretty clearly relied on the standard USB spec of .5a. Remember when PCs were shipping with ports that couldn't even supply that? And people couldn't charge their smartphones well. I think the Griffin is the first.

For the Griffin that is the topic, I'd be interested if it was about $60 max, with some cables. Even if the cables weren't exactly what I needed, at least they'd be trying.

For my house, we've gotten the kids 7" tabs, so I don't really need 2.1a for every slot in a multi-port charger, but the typical .5a isn't really enough, either.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
There was something similar on Lifehacker the other week:

original.jpg

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Well, if they're marketing it specifically as an iOS device charging bay, which they seem to be doing, then it would be nice if they would include short iOS style cables to get you started. Agreed about lightning vs 30-pin though. They'd have to pick one. The price point could be higher to reflect the additional cost, and it would be justifiable.

Since they don't include the cables, they shouldn't be advertising it as an iOS device charger. And it should be cheaper.

Yeah I wasn't sure what they were marketing it as. The short cables would definitely be great though, but $99 still seems a lot.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I have a power strip with 3 USB chargers that came with my iPhone, iPod, and iPad. I didn't spend any extra money to accomplish this 'feat'.

Sorry but $99, another overpriced item.

What's with people making such high priced items? And what's with people buying these?

Stop giving in. I'm sure most are putting it on your credit cards adding to your debt. What a waste!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Build a modular dock with adapters for Lightning and 30pin and micro SD etc. Make it out of aluminum so it can be heavy for one hand docking/removal. Then charge $99 + $29 for each additional add-on dock.

Susannelet

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
Powerdock 5 Falls Short

image.jpg Well being a house of 4 iPhones and an iPad I thought this was an answer to my prayers…
I liked the USB option so it could grow with our future upgrades as Apple seems to be into change charging ports… Also could charge my Jawbra car speaker..my Kindle.. my camera… versitle.. I liked the options...Looked good to me…
Well just received mine yesterday (mind you I also secured a $15 disc and free shipping so not much more than other multi charging stations out there)….
Lets just say that the photos are much more tidy than the reality…. You really need the 6″ cables instead of the standard issue charging cables…. Gets all tangled with extra cord lengths… They don’t stay in the slots by themselves. The plastic dividers pop out from time to time due to the extra cords being jammed in w phones. The charge cord has a heavy box/converter that the fine cord plugs into that the picture does not show…. Better design would have made the power box/converter to hide beneath the stand… Nope.. Have to put on counter and put unit in front if it.. Bulky and again messy presentation compared to how it is pictured.
So good idea… Needs more development in design and needs short cords included if promoting for iPhone use or at least come with a starter pack and sell additional.
Wait for Version 2 is my suggestion…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.