Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:59 PM   #76
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Aren't you guys curious about what's being announced at CES before jumping on this Nexus?
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:39 PM   #77
tjl3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
It's in stock on t-mobile.com...

PS, I swear if it goes out of stock after I hit post I'm gonna flip out on this board

Edit: Or they can make it painfully difficult to pick the pay as you go plan for a non 4G Nexus 4 -_-
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:40 PM   #78
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl3 View Post
It's in stock on t-mobile.com...

PS, I swear if it goes out of stock after I hit post I'm gonna flip out on this board
such a premium price though...
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:46 PM   #79
tjl3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
such a premium price though...
Ya, some reason I thought the price difference was $50, and I wanted to see what the shipping charges would be at the end, since it's probably close enough to $400 after shipping and taxes from Google Play. But at $499, no thanks, I'll wait.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #80
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
Aren't you guys curious about what's being announced at CES before jumping on this Nexus?
Nah - I'm still going to be using my iP5 as my main personal device. The N4 is an Android tester which will replace the iP4S I got through work. I have to buy off-contract and the N4 is as cheap as they'll come. Plus I'm not giving up anything (in fact its a little bit of an upgrade) from the 4S to the N4.....

I have an upgrade coming in September so we'll see if I want to make a more drastic change then with some of the cool tech showing at CES.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl3 View Post
It's in stock on t-mobile.com...

PS, I swear if it goes out of stock after I hit post I'm gonna flip out on this board

Edit: Or they can make it painfully difficult to pick the pay as you go plan for a non 4G Nexus 4 -_-
By the way - it's out of stock....
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 5S, 2G | Lumia 635 | iPad Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
"Innovation, my ass!" -Phil Schiller
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:53 PM   #81
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Nah - I'm still going to be using my iP5 as my main personal device. The N4 is an Android tester which will replace the iP4S I got through work. I have to buy off-contract and the N4 is as cheap as they'll come. Plus I'm not giving up anything (in fact its a little bit of an upgrade) from the 4S to the N4.....

I have an upgrade coming in September so we'll see if I want to make a more drastic change then with some of the cool tech showing at CES.
I see. I'm eligible for an AT&T upgrade from an iPhone 4 so my choice is a bit tougher. Although AT&T doesn't carry the Nexus 4.
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:15 PM   #82
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
I see. I'm eligible for an AT&T upgrade from an iPhone 4 so my choice is a bit tougher. Although AT&T doesn't carry the Nexus 4.
Save your upgrade and just get the nexus 4 unlocked when it's available again. just let me get mine first
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:45 PM   #83
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Save your upgrade and just get the nexus 4 unlocked when it's available again. just let me get mine first
Ha! But seriously, why would you suggest I pay more and get the unlocked Nexus? Why save the upgrade?
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:48 PM   #84
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
Ha! But seriously, why would you suggest I pay more and get the unlocked Nexus? Why save the upgrade?
Because it's so cheap unlocked.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:02 PM   #85
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
All Nexus 4s come unlocked.
daveathall is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:03 PM   #86
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
Because it's so cheap unlocked.
But if I renew my 2 year plan with AT&T it would be even cheaper to get a different phone. What's the advantage to an unlocked phone? (serious question, I really don't know)

Thanks...
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:30 PM   #87
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
But if I renew my 2 year plan with AT&T it would be even cheaper to get a different phone. What's the advantage to an unlocked phone? (serious question, I really don't know)

Thanks...
It's not really cheaper if you have to renew your contract with the outrageous prices they charge for things like data. The US is one of the few countries where most wireless subscribers still go post-paid instead of pre-paid, though this is still starting to equalize and reverse.

A phone generally really costs around $600-700; you only pay $200 or so for a flagship device because it is subsidized by the carrier. In exchange, you have to agree to a 2-year contract generally, where you really are charged through the nose for services. So in reality, over the life of the contract, you might have saved $400 up front for the actual phone's hardware, but the carrier made it all back and then some by gouging you on your wireless fees.

I'm on T-Mobile and while I am on contract as well, I basically use a grandfathered family plan that's cheaper than prepaid (and I just sell the phones I get when I get an upgrade for even more money). The great thing about using unlocked devices on TMO is that you can use their $5 data plan for non-smartphones, which is unlimited HSPA+ throttled after 5GB, with any unlocked device as they can't tell it's a smartphone since they didn't sell it. Likewise, you could take your unlocked phone to any prepaid carrier and pay for cheaper plans or only pay for what you need, instead of 30+/mo for capped data on major carriers. Plus, it's unlocked, so you can switch carriers if you need to and it's less hassle when you go abroad or travel.

When you consider then that the Nexus 4 is only $300 completely unlocked, then you realize what an outrageous deal that is. Buying unlocked and going prepaid is represents hundreds (maybe over a thousand) in savings yearly even if you go for a $600 phone like the iPhone, but with a Nexus 4, you save another $300. When it costs just a $100 more than a smartphone you get on contract, and you can save in my case, around 600/per line on data alone (and I have four lines) over the life of the contract, the value proposition is tremendous. It's about time carriers stopped having so much control and become the dump pipes they're meant to be.
ybz90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:47 PM   #88
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Thing is, I'm on a Family Plan with AT&T (also grandfathered from years ago) and my wife is only about 6 months into her 2 year contract on her iPhone 4S. Therefore, I basically HAVE TO stick with AT&T for another year and a half since I'm tied to her plan. Know what I mean? Any workaround suggestions, or am I stuck just like I think I am?

Thanks again.
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:37 PM   #89
eazy75217
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I just called a T-Mobile store here in Savannah, Georgia and the rep informed me that all of the retail stores on the west coast have them but they don't carry them in Georgia.
eazy75217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:01 PM   #90
Frankied22
macrumors 65816
 
Frankied22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I'm not really interested in anything presented at CES. If I use Android I like to stick with the pure google experience with their Nexus line. It runs better and I get updates right away.
Frankied22 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:25 AM   #91
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
Thing is, I'm on a Family Plan with AT&T (also grandfathered from years ago) and my wife is only about 6 months into her 2 year contract on her iPhone 4S. Therefore, I basically HAVE TO stick with AT&T for another year and a half since I'm tied to her plan. Know what I mean? Any workaround suggestions, or am I stuck just like I think I am?

Thanks again.
Well look at the advice given by ybz90.

AT&T will not get the Nexus 4. Whatever smartphone you do get will probably be 100-200 on contract. The Nexus 4 is $300 without one!

If you really want the Nexus, that's why people are suggesting to pay the extra 100 and then save your upgrade for something else down the line.

But sounds like you aren't sure what phone you really want.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:53 AM   #92
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
If you really want the Nexus, that's why people are suggesting to pay the extra 100 and then save your upgrade for something else down the line.

But sounds like you aren't sure what phone you really want.
Oh, I see. Okay, thanks. Yeah, you're right -- I've had an iPhone since the original 2G iPhone so I'm not sure which phone to "switch" to. But after reading about the new waterproof Sony phone that's due out soon, I might wanna wait to hear more about it.
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:56 AM   #93
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
Oh, I see. Okay, thanks. Yeah, you're right -- I've had an iPhone since the original 2G iPhone so I'm not sure which phone to "switch" to. But after reading about the new waterproof Sony phone that's due out soon, I might wanna wait to hear more about it.
I'm not sure, either. So don't feel bad. I was all set to get the Nexus 4, but then I realized I did not want to leave Verizon at all. I'm down to a selection of 1 or 2 phones, just waiting a little bit longer.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:58 AM   #94
Sounds Good
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
I'm down to a selection of 1 or 2 phones...
Which ones ?
Sounds Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:37 AM   #95
Frankied22
macrumors 65816
 
Frankied22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Come on Google restock the N4!
Frankied22 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:21 AM   #96
jamojamo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I am interested in picking one up as a secondary device to see how it integrates with the rest of my setup. However, I agree with the earlier posters about picking one up anytime when there are probably newer models coming around the corner.

That's the flip side of the once a year update I guess.
jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:58 AM   #97
osx-addict
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post
The great thing about using unlocked devices on TMO is that you can use their $5 data plan for non-smartphones, which is unlimited HSPA+ throttled after 5GB, with any unlocked device as they can't tell it's a smartphone since they didn't sell it.
When you activate such a device (e.g. iPhone 3gs for instance), are you buying a SIM via their website or did you visit a TMO store? The reason I ask is that I visited a local TMO store here in the Los Angeles area a few days back and the rep there would NOT sell me a pair of SIM cards -- he wanted me to bring in the phones so they could be activated.. I realize you can buy the SIM cards from TMO's web store and I'm thinking that is how you do this.. Is that a safe assumption?
osx-addict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:53 AM   #98
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
When you activate such a device (e.g. iPhone 3gs for instance), are you buying a SIM via their website or did you visit a TMO store? The reason I ask is that I visited a local TMO store here in the Los Angeles area a few days back and the rep there would NOT sell me a pair of SIM cards -- he wanted me to bring in the phones so they could be activated.. I realize you can buy the SIM cards from TMO's web store and I'm thinking that is how you do this.. Is that a safe assumption?
I would just get them online, it really depends on the local store, some seem stricter than others. Unlocked phones also generally don't need to be activated; there's nothing T-Mobile needs to (or even can) do to the phone. Just plug in the SIM and you're ready to go.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:34 PM   #99
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
Which ones ?
Not sure. I don't even have a smartphone right now. I was thinking RAZR M or iPhone 5, not a fan of the big phones. Would be awesome if that RAZR M HD rumor is true.

But I like what Nokia does for Windows Phone, and BlackBerry 10 looks really promising.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:41 PM   #100
osx-addict
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post
I would just get them online, it really depends on the local store, some seem stricter than others. Unlocked phones also generally don't need to be activated; there's nothing T-Mobile needs to (or even can) do to the phone. Just plug in the SIM and you're ready to go.
Thanks.. I actually ordered them online this morning from TMO and the total cost was a bit over $2 including free shipping.. Doh! I suspect I would have paid about $6/ea if bought in the store since I got a web-discount.. Hopefully I'll have them soon in my hands to try out.. Gonna sign up for the $30/mo pre-paid to see how that works out.. thx!
osx-addict is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phones: Nexus 4 owners/discussion thread. ChazUK Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2000 Apr 22, 2014 11:26 PM
Rumor: Motorola Nexus 6, Asus Nexus 8 and HTC Nexus 10 kenypowa Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 4 Feb 10, 2014 03:57 AM
Google Announces $199 Nexus 7 Tablet, $299 Nexus Q Media Streamer MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 553 Oct 23, 2012 10:13 PM
phones: So, I can pay $650 for just an iPhone or $550 for a Galaxy Nexus PLUS Nexus tablet?! Big.Mac.Daddy Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 181 Sep 14, 2012 03:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC