Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The price is quite good if you calculate for yourself the cost of 5 drives to get to 20 TB, cost of a big enough enclosure with cooling, SATA controllers and a power supply you end up not far from what they're asking. Of course their solution is a bit more expensive but you get a beautiful, compact, small yet high efficiency enclosure with hot swap capability and Thunderbolt connectivity which wasn't included in my comparison.

I could not build a box that size for the same price. I tried. Ended up with a mid-tower unit. Yes, it holds 8 instead of 5, but it's also a lot bigger than could be.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Kinda upset to see it doesn't offer mSATA to provide a 32, 64, or 128GB cache drive like the Drobo's have.

It makes a BIG difference in speed.

The LaCie 5big Thunderbolt is already faster than the Drobo Thunderbolt, so wouldn't benefit from any mSATA cache at more than 700MB/sec. Drobo is much slower even with the mSATA cache.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Would like an empty unit. At least drobo comes empty!

Last edited:

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
NO. Though, to be fair, it didn't have as much dynamic peripherals as the TB.

FireWire wasn't cheap, but it wasn't exorbitant.

actually when FireWire was introduced, pci cards just to add the interface cost $99, and drives were much smaller capacity, typically less than 120GB.

Checkout older magazine ads, or archive.org for what some ancient websites presented to browsers.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm very happy seeing another company take advantage of Thunderbolt, however, can one of these companies release a bloody 0TB enclosure? All I want is a bare Thunderbolt enclosure, albeit at a slightly less expensive price, and I'll gladly supply the drives myself. Hint hint to OWC..... ;)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yup. I switched to Drobo and couldn't be happier. I know a lot of people dislike them, most because of price, but they offer what I need and never had an issue with any of their products other than the Drobo FS which is discontinued.

I'm considering picking up the Drobo 5N for personal use and killing my file server. I just wish they offered Active Directory/LDAP support.

You're reading a comment from a happy Drobo owner. Three times over. An FS, a classic, and a S. I too am looking at the 5D for my next enclosure.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Finally something that can store my entire collection of educational videos!

Ahh, is that what they're calling that these days?

On a more serious note- why doesn't Apple just outright buy LaCie. They seem to be one of the few that manufactures any peripherals related to Thunderbolt anyway, at a price range most Apple users are accustomed to. At least it would be in-house then.

Ok, maybe not so serious. ;-)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Can someone please explain to me why you would choose the NAS over a Thunderbolt model given the identical price and assuming you had a Thunderbolt equipped Mac which could host the Thunderbolt model as a shared disk over a network?

NAS Pro can be bought diskless and have SimplyRAID (mixed set of hard disks different capacity, sort of like Drobo).

Having said that, I would like a comparison between NAS Pro and Drobo 5N, which cost about the same.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
...On a more serious note- why doesn't Apple just outright buy LaCie. They seem to be one of the few that manufactures any peripherals related to Thunderbolt anyway, at a price range most Apple users are accustomed to. At least it would be in-house then.

Seagate announced the purchase of LaCie last year in May.

Checkout http://www.thunderbolttechnology.net for a look at some of the other announced and shipping products, or the section of products from your favorite internet reseller.

Cisco_Kid

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2005
British Columbia
Yup. I switched to Drobo and couldn't be happier. I know a lot of people dislike them, most because of price, but they offer what I need and never had an issue with any of their products other than the Drobo FS which is discontinued.

I'm considering picking up the Drobo 5N for personal use and killing my file server. I just wish they offered Active Directory/LDAP support.

I picked up a Drobo and it sounded like a coffee grinder, totally unhappy with it; same week I picked up a Pegasus R6 and could not be more happy on the other side of the coin. Also the software packages included with both were about par, I could just not handle the noise from the Drobo.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Finally something that can store my entire collection of educational videos!

'Educational' you say; is that for 'higher education?' ;)

DOA for me with only RAID 0 and 1.

(hardware) Raid 10 should have been included in that size/price category. Raid 5, Ughh.....

Not been impressed with LaCie lately; maybe just pure bad luck, but my recently purchased 1TB USB3/Thunderbolt 'Rugged' drive came with an included Thunderbolt cable that 'died' after 20 min., and the 4TB 2big Thunderbolt, that I bought around the same time, was DOA. Needless to say, I returned the 2big, and bought the APPLE TB cable for the 'Rugged', which now works fine.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Agreed! Although, these aren't nearly as bad as the Pegasus enclosures from Promise. Although, the price may be justified with LaCie's track record in QC.

I am no HDD basher, but I've had my fair share of LaCie power supplies conk out on me.

+1

Their power supplies are terrible. I think that's the reason one of my drives slowly started to die. It used to click because it wasn't getting enough power from a faulty supply. New power supply fixed it and now even with a good one it clicks. Quality product in terms of build but I'd never buy another drive from them again. I've received 3 power supply replacements from them in a matter of 2 years.

ben-adam

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Israel
If only OS X had a decent file system

Finally... a JBOD enclosure with Thunderbolt :)

The one thing that is missing is a decent file system. It's almost ridiculous to put a 20 years old file system (HFS) on this brand-new storage device.

I wish Apple brought back the ZFS.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
actually when FireWire was introduced, pci cards just to add the interface cost $99, and drives were much smaller capacity, typically less than 120GB.

Checkout older magazine ads, or archive.org for what some ancient websites presented to browsers.

Not sure about the pci-card interfaces: I was using new Macs of that age that came equipped with FW. Any PCI card isn't cheap. At the time, the FW cables were $20 and went down. They became so ubiquitous with FW peripherals that I have a plethora of FW cords all around the house. Never need to buy another FW cord in my life.

TB is definitely pricier than FW by a factor of 2 or 3 or 4.

Vidivici

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Europe
Add to that some HDD manufacturers/retailers have better warranties and coverage.

I had four bad power supplies from LaCie and justs about all of them went up within the same year . . . . right when the warranty was up.

I haven't had a single issue with the mobile drives LaCie makes. I've two rugged drives pushing 6 years that haven't given me one single problem.

I have a lacie rugged too , 4.5 years old , still works flawless.
Got a new rugged thunderbolt sdd , works flawless aswell.

And how old are those stories with their PSU ?
They've got all newer , smaller ones .

Those PSU problems are a thing of the past , i think Lacie learned from this.
Deal with it.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I picked up a Drobo and it sounded like a coffee grinder, totally unhappy with it; same week I picked up a Pegasus R6 and could not be more happy on the other side of the coin. Also the software packages included with both were about par, I could just not handle the noise from the Drobo.

Pegasus R6 is a DAS. The Drobo 5N is a NAS. You're comparing different product categories.

dr01dy

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.

May want to read a bit before making bets that are sure losers.

3years, and like the other 5big products in the family, replacement drives are available, and if you wish to use your own, provided drives can be easily substituted into the drive carriers. While the Thunderbolt version only comes with 5x2TB or 5x4TB, the NAS Pro version comes with those configs, as well as empty with no drives so you can configure your own.

Saw them at PEPCOM last night at CES and the systems looked pretty good.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty.
Lacie said:
Your LaCie 5big is protected by a three-year limited warranty.

And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.
Lacie said:
Thanks to hot-swappable disks**, you can simply slide a new disk into the safe volume without switching off the device.

5bigTB_Back_EN.jpg

I hope you weren't planning on having kids. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.