Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad

I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:56 PM   #2
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Well, this is apple forum so you will see more love than hate toward any apple products coming out.

Ipad mini, imo is a lot less capable than Ipad in many ways but people seem to look pass that because of its weight. Apple is not competing with amazon or google for cheap 7" market. Ipad mini eats away sales of their own full-sized Ipad.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3
flight
macrumors regular

It's new, it looks good, it's lighter, it's cheaper, and it runs the same apps. I prefer the original size iPad, but it's not a surprise that the smaller iPad is so popular.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:48 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Well, this is apple forum so you will see more love than hate toward any apple products coming out.

Ipad mini, imo is a lot less capable than Ipad in many ways but people seem to look pass that because of its weight. Apple is not competing with amazon or google for cheap 7" market. Ipad mini eats away sales of their own full-sized Ipad.
Less capable? No. More portable? Yes.

How is the Mini eating sales away from the iPad? If someone wants a 9.7 screen, they go iPad. If they want something smaller, they go Mini. The Mini's sales are good now because it's new. Something new is going to get picked over an iPad 3S any day of the week. Either way, Apple is still making at least $150 profit per 16 GB Mini sold while getting $184 per 16 GB iPad. No matter what people buy, they're still making a hefty profit.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:19 AM   #5
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

The mini nailed the proper size for portability. When I first imagined the idea of having an iPad, I really thought I'd take it everywhere with me but the size is just a tad bit too big for that. The mini however is the perfect tablet size. Small enough to fit in your pocket and large enough that you don't have to navigate website the way you do with an iPhone.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:25 AM   #6
locust76
macrumors 6502a

If I get a new iPad, I'm ditching my iPad 3 in favor of a Mini (2nd gen with Retina display, natch). They're so much nicer to hold and a hell of a lot more portable.
locust76 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:11 AM   #7
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?
Keep thinking because it is none of your incorrect answers.
kodeman53 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:51 AM   #8
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The mini is less than twice the size of an iPhone? But the regular iPad is 3 times the size? Have you ever seen any of these products?
LeeM is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Gotoma
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
The mini is less than twice the size of an iPhone? But the regular iPad is 3 times the size? Have you ever seen any of these products?
I guess it's just a math fail, he thinks that an 8" screen is twice as big as a 4" one (the correct answer is 4x since those values are measured diagonally).
Gotoma is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:32 AM   #10
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
You're not thinking correctly there.

The Mini is small, but not THAT small. If you only took the screen part of the iPhone 4/4S (note, not the top or bottom part or the sides) and put them side by side, it would be six of them. That's a lot of screen to use.

I use it as if it were a full scale iPad. Have I ever used a full scaled iPad? No, but this feels like one to ME.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:35 AM   #11
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

Mini is a full blown tablet with extremely capable camera, very good GPU and fine CPU (not the best, but just fine and much better than any Atom). It has full stereo, very good speakers, It also has 40% larger screen compared to 7 inch android offerings and only slightly more expensive as compared based on screen size. In addition, it is very light, lighter than Nexus 7 despite having 40% more screen size. Now you understand why.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:57 AM   #12
batting1000
macrumors 601

OP, you've got it all wrong. The iPad mini is more than just "double the size of an iPhone". You get the full unadulterated iPad experience in a thinner, lighter, and more portable form factor. Although its not cheaper by much, it's enough to where is not as expensive as the full sized iPad.
batting1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:59 AM   #13
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
I updated the title to make it less ambiguous and helpful to the membership scanning this forum
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:21 AM   #14
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

because its cheaper

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:44 AM   #15
ditzy
macrumors 65816

Because it is cheaper, lighter, more portable, and I don't feel that I'm losing anything in comparison to its big brother. Many people feel the same way, though not everybody.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:47 AM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Is it really twice as popular? It's new so are you saying twice as many iPad minis have sold than all other iPad full size models? Either way, it is popular because it is indeed really nice to hold. It's easy for some to pocket and most of all, the price is nicer.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:16 AM   #17
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Why is it popular?, maybe it's the size some of us wanted in the first place.
Kebabselector is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:19 AM   #18
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
By definition all corporations are greedy, including Amazon. Did you know that on Kindles (and Nooks for that matter) you can't download free books or apps without having a valid credit card on file? Apple at least lets you download free items without having a credit card attached to the Apple ID being used. Also, Amazon prices its tablets low and hopes to profit by selling you stuff, including an Amazon Prime membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Less capable? No. More portable? Yes.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkjsn View Post
The mini nailed the proper size for portability. When I first imagined the idea of having an iPad, I really thought I'd take it everywhere with me but the size is just a tad bit too big for that. The mini however is the perfect tablet size. Small enough to fit in your pocket and large enough that you don't have to navigate website the way you do with an iPhone.
Yes, the iPad Mini fits in pockets, pocket books and fits better in a lot of camera bags.

Also, the Mini is easier to hold for reading books.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:32 AM   #19
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502

I find my mini a great size a very good screen for almost everything and it certainly seems fast enough for anything that I do.
If/When it has a Retina screen I think the questions will be why buy a full size iPad other than as a "laptop" type replacement which will sit on a desktop most of the time.

I find I carry my mini most of the time - it is great if I go out to lunch by my self and can carry it in my pocket where a full size would be more of a pain for that.
CTHarrryH is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:41 AM   #20
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

price is the main reason. The difference between $329 and $499 is a lot to most consumers...over half the price of the mini.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why do you define competition and changes/advancements in technology as "greedy"? Please explain that.
Aspasia is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:54 AM   #22
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkjsn View Post
This baffles me have you never carried a laptop with you sure the iPad isn't the size of a deck of cards but it sure is a hell of a lot more portable then most laptops.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:58 AM   #23
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
This baffles me have you never carried a laptop with you sure the iPad isn't the size of a deck of cards but it sure is a hell of a lot more portable thAn most laptops.
Some laptops are more portable than others. The iPad mini is more portable than an iPad.

To travel with a laptop you really needed a laptop bag or backpack. The iPad mini is so small and light you can carry it like a notepad in a portfolio case.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:15 AM   #24
trouble747
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
Why do you define competition and changes/advancements in technology as "greedy"? Please explain that.
Yeah, I don't get that.
trouble747 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:38 AM   #25
Squilly
macrumors 68020

My bad... Did a little math wrong there
Squilly is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad