Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
GarageBand Additional Content

I work for a middle school with 200 MacBook Airs deployed in a 1-to-1 initiative; every kid gets a MacBook to take home with them.

I reimaged all of the MacBooks over the break to upgrade to Mountain Lion. I installed our iLife apps from the App Store beforehand, but I didn't realize that the App Store didn't install all of GarageBand. Now I'm met with 200 kids needing the admin password — after they wait 2-3 hours for the 1.6GB GarageBand Additional Content download.

I called Apple Educational Support about this, but they claim there's no way around it except to re-image again. They "escalated it" to a support exec who said the same thing.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite satisfied with that. I can't seem to find a way to find the Additional Content package as it downloads, nor is it available on Apple's support site. Does anyone else have any tips? Where could the content possibly end up? I looked thru /tmp with no luck.

Edit: A friend suggested running sudo fs_usage | grep Garageband as it downloads the content. I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow.

Last edited by DJLC; Jan 7, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
DJLC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
K. Nevermind.

I made my own custom package to install the content found in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/. Apparently there's no other way around it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store