Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:33 PM   #126
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
Really?? So let's say you're buying a Mercedes S-class since Mercedes is a "premium brand", just like apple is. You pay 120.000€ for a brand new car and when you walk to it you see that it already has a bump on one side, the front light is cracked and there are couple of scratches around the car.
You see all this and tell it to the guy who just sold you a brand new mercedes and his response would be:
"I'm sorry, but that's the kind of stuff that will show up in less than a month on any car"

now, do you see how stupid your argument is?
Give me a break. NONE of those car flaws are like this:



Yes, if you make up terrible flaws that are worse than what the OP posted, yeah, those would be bad.

But no, I'm not going to complain about a spot on my car that can only be seen with a macro camera lens.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:41 PM   #127
JS82712
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Give me a break. NONE of those car flaws are like this:

Image

Yes, if you make up terrible flaws that are worse than what the OP posted, yeah, those would be bad.

But no, I'm not going to complain about a spot on my car that can only be seen with a macro camera lens.
I have 5 of those on my white iPhone...I am sick and tired to even exchange it, I will simply think twice before purchasing another iPhone next time.
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:52 PM   #128
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816
 
SpyderBite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Xanadu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugcop View Post
All of this over a $200 phone?
Technically, it's a $849 phone. He bought a 64gb version. So, $849 Retail. $399 Subsidized. Either way its a $849 device.

Personally, I've never been affected by any of the "defects" that people have complained about every year with any of my Apple products. But I haven't won the lottery either so it can't all be luck.
__________________
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
SpyderBite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:03 PM   #129
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Everyone has a different theory of what "acceptable" is. To some, minor scratches that take a telescope to spot are a deal breaker. To others, major issues are only a concern. I think it really comes down to one simple question: Is it supposed to be like that? If it isn't, then there's your answer as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't return a phone based on the little scratches the OP showed us, but dust under the camera lens is a deal breaker for me.
Chris092881 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:37 AM   #130
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020
 
e˛Studios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
You probably do have OCD! But then again so do a lot of us. You can go down that road if you wish - a lot of people wouldn't care about the defects you photographed. However, for the amount of money they are charging for this device, it should be flawless.
In that case all cars shouldn't bother having a warranty since they cost so much they should be flawless from the factory floor right?

Like all manufactured items there will be flaws, I kinda see threads like this as petty complaining but to each their own. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find a flaw or two on my iPhone 5, but honestly it works and does what I need it to so I really don't care to waste my time doing so.
__________________
"Shine Get!"
e˛Studios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:43 AM   #131
kadillac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
When I bought my new tC, the paint was defective in places, like by the Scion badge. Weird white residue that wouldn't come off. But it was so minor, I didn't care.

Same thing with the OP.

Grow up and move on.
kadillac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:17 AM   #132
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a
 
BenTrovato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by e˛Studios View Post
In that case all cars shouldn't bother having a warranty since they cost so much they should be flawless from the factory floor right?

Like all manufactured items there will be flaws, I kinda see threads like this as petty complaining but to each their own. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find a flaw or two on my iPhone 5, but honestly it works and does what I need it to so I really don't care to waste my time doing so.
I think it's up to the consumer to decide what flaws are acceptable. I've seen some pretty bad iPhones - bad quality does occur and in those circumstances, there are remedies. Apple's marketing spends a great deal of time touting its excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail, watch their own video they mention it a few times. I too can find flaws with my phone but it's good enough for me. However, for you to make the call that everyone should feel that way is a bit pompous and close minded.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:40 AM   #133
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Give me a break. NONE of those car flaws are like this:

Image

Yes, if you make up terrible flaws that are worse than what the OP posted, yeah, those would be bad.

But no, I'm not going to complain about a spot on my car that can only be seen with a macro camera lens.
Agreed. For something like that, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it. I don't spend my time examining my purchases with a magnifying glass.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:14 PM   #134
arc123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Apple doesn't run flashy ads littered with asterisks noting dead pixels, dust under the front glass, backlight bleed, chassis imperfections, and so forth are included in the list of features. Saying they are within design tolerances or that "no reasonable person would object," or some other sort of claim, is really a euphemism for saying these are features as a matter of the total package of properties a consumer can expect to face. However, I think most people wouldn't consider any of those things to be objectives set as a matter of design target, or what people have in mind when they think of essential properties of the product. Thus, they are most accurately classified as defects. So, left with us is a question of how to approach that fact...

Apple advertises a premium product, and sells that product at a premium price, within the confines of a product ecosystem that is routinely promoted as being developed around exacting standards. Furthermore consumers, including on this forum, frequently cite build quality as a reason to buy Apple products. Based on these factors, it seems reasonable to me for people to expect to receive individual units that reflect the image promoted by Apple and many of its brand enthusiasts. Some people may be less concerned with defects, but I don't see good reason to demand others adhere to those same standards.

Or, in other words, spend more time being helpful and kind to each other and less time worrying about (or posting about) how you can't stand how selective some people are.
arc123 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:25 AM   #135
SteveJobs2.0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Some of your issues are legit, but you do have mental problems. You need to get a life because you will get a heart arrack when a serious issue happens In your life. Perhaps you spent all your money on the phone so you expect perfection which deep down you know you will not attain, thus never technically buying the phone.

Plus what, you get a perfect phone, then next month it falls out of your hand and gets scratched. Then what?
SteveJobs2.0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just bought for my first Mac, horrible experience ApplePie22 Wasteland 21 Dec 17, 2013 09:14 PM
eBay iPhone buyer fraud pprichar iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 89 Jul 26, 2013 06:22 PM
Bought a new iMac broke camera. Apple Customer Service Experience Hublar iMac 24 Apr 14, 2013 08:31 PM
Zagg IP5 shield and Customer experience......buyer beware Nepaiphoneuser iPhone Accessories 7 Oct 30, 2012 08:53 PM
Buyer's remorse: Bought Thunderbolt Display after buying RMBP Brandon263 MacBook Pro 45 Aug 19, 2012 07:14 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps