Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

View Poll Results: Which feature would you be the most excited for?
Predictor 6 1.39%
Custom Notifications 11 2.54%
Location-Based Actions 6 1.39%
Dynamic Icons 25 5.77%
Widgets 43 9.93%
Siri API 22 5.08%
Offline Siri 22 5.08%
Quick Reply (Messaging) 37 8.55%
New UI 239 55.20%
Something Else (Be sure to post what) 22 5.08%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:21 AM   #401
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I watched this Ubuntu video on their mobile OS today and it looks really cool. Makes me want Apple to move away from the home screen being just rows of icons or icons in folders. I think it could be so much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU&sns=tw
The presenter and video seem like a cheap Apple / Jony Ive copy. Please, please, companies other than Apple: stop copying Apple, what works for Apple does not necessarily work for others.

After I got over the copied presentation, it actually got somewhat interesting. I liked the search and how it presented stuff. I hope Siri goes in "something like this" direction. I don't think Ubuntu mobile will be able to penetrate the markets though. It is is over competitive already.

Last edited by omenatarhuri; Jan 5, 2013 at 04:32 AM.
omenatarhuri is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:49 AM   #402
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk24iam View Post
I'd really like to be able to completly backup my iphone device onto my computer AND the cloud. Right now, it seems like it has to be one or the other.
Plug it in and click backup. iCloud only effects "automatic" backup.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #403
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omenatarhuri View Post
The presenter and video seem like a cheap Apple / Jony Ive copy. Please, please, companies other than Apple: stop copying Apple, what works for Apple does not necessarily work for others.

After I got over the copied presentation, it actually got somewhat interesting. I liked the search and how it presented stuff. I hope Siri goes in "something like this" direction. I don't think Ubuntu mobile will be able to penetrate the markets though. It is is over competitive already.
An English accent doesn't = Jony Ive copy. I've seen much worse from HP and Google where their designer/product guy has an English accent and shaved head. Doubt that's a coincidence.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:44 AM   #404
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Shady View Post
Apple doesn't need to hit iOS 7 out of the park. Not yet. Apple still sells its products at alarming rates and will continue to do so, no matter how lacking the OS may be. Most consumers don't care if the software is old or lacking compared to the competition, it still works easy and fine for them. Now, for you or me, yes I hope Apple does hit iOS 7 out of the park, otherwise they will definitely lose sales to the more "informed" costumers. If iOS 7 is another dud, I will bid my final farewell to iOS.
Exactly, this may be my last go-round with Apple's iPhone. The switch is easy since I use many Google products and use apps that are cross platform such as Dropbox and Evernote, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:56 AM   #405
King Shady
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Exactly, this may be my last go-round with Apple's iPhone. The switch is easy since I use many Google products and use apps that are cross platform such as Dropbox and Evernote, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
It'll be interesting! Something about me wants to believe they are going to bring a great update to redeem themselves from a poor iOS 6, but then again this is Apple..
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:44 PM   #406
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

what i would really like to see in iOS 7 is NCSetting like the Cydia tweak. Have toggles in NC. That's what i'm hoping to see. thats probably the only reason i would jailbreak my iPhone 4S to get the NCSetting.
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:05 PM   #407
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Shady View Post
It'll be interesting! Something about me wants to believe they are going to bring a great update to redeem themselves from a poor iOS 6, but then again this is Apple..
Well, I have another 10 months before my phone contract expires, so I can wait.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:01 AM   #408
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

I've always wondered why Android phone makers think users care about the weather so much... I mean really?! I honestly don't mind tapping an icon to see the 5 day weather forecast, and if I want to know what it is now, well then I can look out side can't I?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:12 AM   #409
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
what i would really like to see in iOS 7 is NCSetting like the Cydia tweak. Have toggles in NC. That's what i'm hoping to see. thats probably the only reason i would jailbreak my iPhone 4S to get the NCSetting.
Samsung will sue even harder.

(They are doing it in their homeland South Korea. Notification center isn't even Samsung's but they chose to sue anyway!)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:18 PM   #410
Liberty.
macrumors regular

Since Apple seems to be resting on their laurels I even stopped buying any stuff for iOS for the moment since I'm not sure how the future will be. I don't like Android, but what are the alternatives? Windows Phone 8 surely not in its current state. I hope Ubuntu Phone will be a success since this just looks so good: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems
Liberty. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:54 PM   #411
Major General
macrumors member

Just integrate something like Bite SMS for faster messaging

Far as UI changes if people want to change the Springboard have something like DreamBoard baked in so users can easily change the UI and have a store for themes

NC settings/toggles

Ability to set default apps

And for Pete sake for us music collectors and Djs add the ability to extend memory in the next iPhone. Being capped off at 64 GB is just about all of my music. Need room for apps and tweaks

Shoot Apple may as well just bring in the Jailbreak community
Major General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:24 AM   #412
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty. View Post
Since Apple seems to be resting on their laurels I even stopped buying any stuff for iOS for the moment since I'm not sure how the future will be. I don't like Android, but what are the alternatives? Windows Phone 8 surely not in its current state. I hope Ubuntu Phone will be a success since this just looks so good: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems
Friend, Apple products work for the avg. joe because of not only how they look but how they work. This is what design is. If I turn on an iPhone, I know immediately how to use it. Ubuntu seems to rely on gestures for everything. This is bad. Very bad.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:16 AM   #413
Liberty.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Friend, Apple products work for the avg. joe because of not only how they look but how they work. This is what design is. If I turn on an iPhone, I know immediately how to use it. Ubuntu seems to rely on gestures for everything. This is bad. Very bad.
Even if sales are stable for now Apple has to provide something better. iOS6 basically looks the same as iOS1.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:12 AM   #414
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Even if sales are stable for now Apple has to provide something better. iOS6 basically looks the same as iOS1.
Yeah and the average joe probably doesn't care. You know the same people who use windows PC's and want their start menu and normal desktop back.

I'd like to see something different with iOS 7 but I don't want Apple to change just for the sake of change or because some geeks on tech sites are bored with iOS.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
I re-watched that Ubuntu video and I see what you're saying about everything being gesture based. That could be very confusing for people. I guess what I liked about it is it got away from the tired row of icons we have in iOS but is cleaner than the live tiles and bright colors with Windows 8.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:23 AM   #415
Liberty.
macrumors regular

Just google for "iOS 6 boring", "iPhone 5 disappointment". Why aren't there any kind of widgets until now? Where's the spirit gone we've seen almost a decade ago? I remember the day I bought my iPod Nano, I was so excited.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:09 AM   #416
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502

Most people that I know who use iPhones are very happy with how it looks and how it works. They want simple and they want it to look the same so what they have learned will still work and they don't have to relearn all the time. I'm more interested in function that what the UI looks like and I'll bet that a majority of Apple users feel the same way.
Not that I don't want changes but I really want more functions than changing the way it all looks and works.
CTHarrryH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:02 AM   #417
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Cross application sharing and not just Facebook and Twitter.

This needs to happen.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHarrryH View Post
Most people that I know who use iPhones are very happy with how it looks and how it works. They want simple and they want it to look the same so what they have learned will still work and they don't have to relearn all the time. I'm more interested in function that what the UI looks like and I'll bet that a majority of Apple users feel the same way.
Not that I don't want changes but I really want more functions than changing the way it all looks and works.
Most people that I know who use the iPhone are tired of staring at the same thing and would welcome an update to the UI (this includes soccer moms, dorky fathers, teachers, etc). This argument cannot be had or won unless a world wide poll is done.
Parise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:31 PM   #418
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Just google for "iOS 6 boring", "iPhone 5 disappointment". Why aren't there any kind of widgets until now? Where's the spirit gone we've seen almost a decade ago? I remember the day I bought my iPod Nano, I was so excited.
I don't get people's obsession with widgets. What's the big deal about them?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:45 PM   #419
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Widgets are alive!
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:18 PM   #420
stevelam
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
Cross application sharing and not just Facebook and Twitter.

This needs to happen.

----------

Most people that I know who use the iPhone are tired of staring at the same thing and would welcome an update to the UI (this includes soccer moms, dorky fathers, teachers, etc). This argument cannot be had or won unless a world wide poll is done.
Why the hell are you and your friends just staring at your phone. Learn to download apps and actually use it. Duh. It's not apples fault you're boring.
stevelam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:50 AM   #421
Liberty.
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't get people's obsession with widgets. What's the big deal about them?
Looking at my schedule without opening an app?
Liberty. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:56 AM   #422
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Let's see, android users flood their home screen with widgets, leaving them with only enough space for a few apps, the rest are hidden in the app drawer.

On iOS, the apps that you use most can simply go onto the dock on your home screen, one tap and you are there

So tapping once on your phone is difficult eh
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:59 AM   #423
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

ubuntu mobile os looked laggy
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:19 PM   #424
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Notification Center.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:56 PM   #425
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
An English accent doesn't = Jony Ive copy. I've seen much worse from HP and Google where their designer/product guy has an English accent and shaved head. Doubt that's a coincidence.
There's also the identical white background, some elevator music in the at the save volume, identical camera angles, near identical font and overall same look 'n feel.
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Tags
ios 7, ios concept, iphone 5s, new features, wishlist