Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:59 PM   #51
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr01dy View Post
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.
I prefer if you send them via UPS. I'll send my shipping address via PM.
I can even be so nice and pay the shipping costs.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:38 PM   #52
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidivici View Post
And how old are those stories with their PSU ?
They've got all newer , smaller ones .

Those PSU problems are a thing of the past , i think Lacie learned from this.
Deal with it.
The stories with the PSU are pretty current . . . since we are talking about it right now. My last LaCie d2 PSU went up about two years ago.

I am not a HDD basher, I've owned enclosures and drives from every manufacturer and they all have problems.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:14 PM   #53
iDemiurge
macrumors regular

I joke about 'educational videos' cause I can't see a reason to buy LaCie other than for storing this kind of content. Maybe they've come a long way since, but the last LaCie enclosure I had was so noisy I had to get rid of it in order not to go nuts. It was like being inside a jet the whole day, and this was considered 'normal' by LaCie.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:09 PM   #54
needfx
macrumors 68030

I can hardly understand their ridiculous policy of having two separate products, one for TB and one for Ethernet at such crazy prices.

A simple relocation of the hardware beyond a TB enriched computer makes this as useless as a brick, while just Ethernet, has the same price as the TB

you idiots.
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:53 PM   #55
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Do you understand why some customers might need a NAS, and others might need a storage array with very high performance as attached storage?

A NAS array cannot deliver the performance of a Thunderbolt array. The NAS productfrom LaCie is claiming 200+ MB/sec with it's two bonded 1Gbps Ethernet connections, and 780+ MB/sec with its Thunderbolt RAID product.

Both look identical on the outside. They share the same 5big metal chassis but the internals are completely different. The NAS has a dual-core Intel Atom and 4GB of RAM. The RAID variation has a Thunderbolt controller inside.

Probably not room for both types of controllers?

The drive drawers are the same - 5 slots for drives, each in a metal carrier.

I saw both at the PEPCOM expo last night at CES.
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:52 PM   #56
mauvehead
macrumors newbie

Lacie drives are just so sexy to me...I pulled the trigger on their 6TB Thunderbolt RAID drive last spring and I've not yet felt any buyer's remorse. File transfers between it and my SSD equipped MBP are phenomenal and I can't fathom going back to a slower protocol ever again for my primary external needs. 100GB transfers typically take 90sec or so...Talk about convenience...
mauvehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:27 PM   #57
Cisco_Kid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
Pegasus R6 is a DAS. The Drobo 5N is a NAS. You're comparing different product categories.
Oh pardon me you are right, that makes it totally okay for the Drobo to sound like a coffee grinder... shame on me.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:28 PM   #58
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr01dy View Post
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.
Exactly the same as Apple, but I bet you aren't bitching about them though.

They have as much confidence in their products as Apple does in it's. Yet all the loyal fans think it's fine for Apple to offer such crap service on $3,500 machines but expect a company to provide more on something that is 1/3 of the price?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:01 AM   #59
Vidivici
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
The stories with the PSU are pretty current . . . since we are talking about it right now. My last LaCie d2 PSU went up about two years ago.

I am not a HDD basher, I've owned enclosures and drives from every manufacturer and they all have problems.
2 years , but the d2 wasnt that new?
I've seen the topics about their psu problems , but all posts from devices bought 4 - 5 years ago. No new ones .

Got myself a 1tb lacie starck aswell , 2.5 years old.
No psu problems , no HDD noise problems.
Vidivici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:17 AM   #60
Dark Fiber
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidivici View Post
I've seen the topics about their psu problems , but all posts from devices bought 4 - 5 years ago. No new ones .
I agree, the firestorm of bad reports applied to their dual voltage (12V/5V) PSUs. I don't recall seeing any complaints about the newer 12V only units.
This is reflected in my personal experience- several 12/5s dead after less than two years, while my 12s are so far so good!
Dark Fiber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:14 AM   #61
brayan.richard
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDemiurge View Post
Finally something that can store my entire collection of educational videos!
Yeah total educational.....
brayan.richard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:10 AM   #62
jimthing
macrumors 6502

Ulimate NAS? ...Mac Mini+20TB Tbolt DAS.

Anyone bought one of these then?
(and if so, what do you use for your backup?)

Got a 2012 Mac Mini, so this might be a great server solution: best of DAS (Thunderbolt), best of NAS (connected to a perminently on Mac) as well! AFAICT.

Anything a dedicated quality NAS box can do, or do better, than this Mac Mini+TBolt DAS set-up?

wiki:Apple
jimthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:34 AM   #63
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Maybe....

in the next generation/revision of this hardware or in a two-year period the prices can be 40% off and I am sold.....

Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:58 AM   #64
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

Awesome just need to self my house to get one!
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:55 PM   #65
shalliday
macrumors member

Just purchased a Western Digital 8TB Thunderbolt My Book Duo to hook up to my 2011 MacMini (using 27" Thunderbolt display) but am now thinking of returning it for the 10TB Lacie Thunderbolt 5big DAS.

Searched the web and the Lacie product reviews look good but have only been able to find a couple of user reviews on the 5big.

Any opinions as to the build quality and reliability of Lacie products, (read about them having faulty power supplies) and whether the 5big would be worth the additional cost over the WD unit?

Thanks!

Last edited by shalliday; Mar 18, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
shalliday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:38 AM   #66
jimthing
macrumors 6502

Ulimate NAS? ...Mac Mini+20TB Tbolt DAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthing View Post
Anyone bought one of these then?
(and if so, what do you use for your backup?)

Got a 2012 Mac Mini, so this might be a great server solution: best of DAS (Thunderbolt), best of NAS (connected to a perminently on Mac) as well! AFAICT.

Anything a dedicated quality NAS box can do, or do better, than this Mac Mini+TBolt DAS set-up?
Bump. Anyone? Thoughts?

wiki:Apple
jimthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:47 AM   #67
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

Sounds good...

Unfortunately it DOESN'T sound good to my pocket book.
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:28 PM   #68
eeb
macrumors newbie

NAS w/thunderbolt...(at the same time)

Can I have an SSD based NAS box *with* git-E, a couple thunderbolt connectors and a couple of USB 3 connectors. As far as the t-bolt and USB3 connectors I should be able to use those to connect into the box directly (as I might a USB or t-bolt hard drive) or extend the boxes storage (so, as a NAS, I can extend it's storage with more fast SSD's or drives).

This would give me a quiet on-desk solution that was rocket fast for my primary computing devices (one or two) while giving me network access to that storage for all my other machines (without needing my primary computers on or active). Then there is no choosing, I get it all in one. Win.
eeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:28 PM   #69
shalliday
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthing View Post
Anyone bought one of these then? (and if so, what do you use for your backup?)
While I ended up returning the WD 8TB Thunderbolt My Book Duo, I was going to use my Synology 1511+ to back it up. Considering the disk size, I think a NAS would make a great backup solution.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:54 AM   #70
pcboy
macrumors newbie

Bought one too. The speed is ok, and it works. Capacity is big. That's all I need. Not the best choice since it has no raid and price is expensive too. But again, it works for me.
pcboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:49 AM   #71
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a

I'm also thinking of getting of the 5big to replace all my drives. I've been buying hard drives once every 2 years and they all comes in different shapes and sizes and looks so unsightly in the room. I'm hoping this will solve all my storage needs and look beautiful at the same time.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:51 PM   #72
LorenK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
I am no HDD basher, but I've had my fair share of LaCie power supplies conk out on me.
Not nice to see that someone else has had the same problem with LaCie power supplies. I also have had a problem with the bridge boards.

Anybody know what I can do with three LaCie aluminium drive cases? Would they make good birdhouses?
LorenK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:51 PM   #73
satcomer
macrumors 601

I think for most home users a NAS might be overkill. To me the craze of putting USB2 ports on routers is the way to go for most home users. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a NAS any day. IMHO as new wireless standards and that port on routers might change to USB3 or better real soon.
satcomer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:17 AM   #74
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenK View Post
Not nice to see that someone else has had the same problem with LaCie power supplies. I also have had a problem with the bridge boards.

Anybody know what I can do with three LaCie aluminium drive cases? Would they make good birdhouses?
Funny you should say that. I had to pull the perfectly working drives out and the cases sat for months. I contemplated getting more PSUs for them, but in the end, they wound up in the recycling bin.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion