Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
OmniWeb Browser, cool or what?

Check out this tab system in OmniWeb Web Browser, how cool and good is that? Tabs open up to the left, easy to switch between webpages.

Do any other web browsers have this ability? Is it possible to get Firefox and Safari to do that?

http://i45.tinypic.com/okynk.png
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
It's just a different visual style. For Chrome and Safari I usually use the keyboard to switch between tabs.
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:15 PM   #3
dirt farmer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Sorry to hijack.... but I will.

Has anyone tried Roccat yet? How is it? I'm slightly intrigued.
dirt farmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:21 PM   #4
coops
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I've been using touchpad gestures for a long time to switch between tabs (and open a link in new tab, close a tab, go forward/back etc) - using Better Touch Tool, works great in Opera and safari browsers.2
coops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
Sorry to hijack.... but I will.

Has anyone tried Roccat yet? How is it? I'm slightly intrigued.
Yes, it does not have all the features I want, but it is very fast and stable.

As for Omniweb, this has been my main browser for quite some time. It is not as fast as some others, but it has the ability to manage the preferences for each page - on the fly. I get no cookies, popups, Javascript, images, and ads - unless I want them. Images can be added to a page by clicking an icon on the bottom bar after a page has loaded - while still keeping ads away (I bolster the inbuilt ad filter by the addition of Google's AdSubtract CSS).

BTW, I prefer the thumbnail tabs on the right - it seems more natural.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:25 AM   #6
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
Sorry to hijack.... but I will.

Has anyone tried Roccat yet? How is it? I'm slightly intrigued.
Roccat does the same layout between pages?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:47 AM   #7
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Roccat does the same layout between pages?
Yes, it's similar to Omniweb - minus the advanced features. However, it is still an infant, and may grow more complete over time.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:12 AM   #8
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
Sorry to hijack.... but I will.

Has anyone tried Roccat yet? How is it? I'm slightly intrigued.
Oh my, that is not a pretty website
Pakaku is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:45 AM   #9
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Oh my, that is not a pretty website
Yeah kinda looks 80s lol
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCODGER View Post
Yes, it does not have all the features I want, but it is very fast and stable.

As for Omniweb, this has been my main browser for quite some time. It is not as fast as some others, but it has the ability to manage the preferences for each page - on the fly. I get no cookies, popups, Javascript, images, and ads - unless I want them. Images can be added to a page by clicking an icon on the bottom bar after a page has loaded - while still keeping ads away (I bolster the inbuilt ad filter by the addition of Google's AdSubtract CSS).

BTW, I prefer the thumbnail tabs on the right - it seems more natural.
I used to use OmniWeb before Roccat but I have now been using Roccat for around 2 years and I won't look back.

Also you do realize that in Roccat you can move the VisiTabs to the bottom or to the right hand side, or to the left hand side or even to a drawer like OmniWeb. There are definitely pros and cons for each, for example I really appreciate the "RClouds" feature for tab syncing, bookmarking syncing etc.. like other browsers have too (I haven't seen this on Omniweb), I also like the Roccat Flick feature for seamless sharing of sites over a network between macs, iPads and iPhones. I personally prefer the VisiTabs at the top so appreciate the ability to move them. OmniWeb was annoying as I like my web browser to take up all availiable space and that's difficult with the Drawer.

The pluses of OmniWeb (for me anyway) are workspaces and as you mentioned the better control of images, ads etc... and site specific preferences.

I wouldn't say Roccat is missing the "Advanced Features" as Roccat holds lots of Advanced features which OmniWeb doesn't have just like OmniWeb holds lots that Roccat doesn't have. I think they are all aimed towards slightly different markets and you have just got to decide which one best suits your needs and personality. Or use multiple browsers like I do haha
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Yeah kinda looks 80s lol
Ah yes, those 80s web pages.....
Kissaragi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:52 AM   #12
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
Ah yes, those 80s web pages.....
Yes those famous 1980's webpages, just for reference earliest archive of apple.com from 1996 http://socialmediasonar.com/wp-conte...1/july1996.gif
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:54 PM   #13
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
Yes those famous 1980's webpages, just for reference earliest archive of apple.com from 1996 http://socialmediasonar.com/wp-conte...1/july1996.gif
Looks beautiful, why on Earth did change it? lol
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:44 PM   #14
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
Yes those famous 1980's webpages, just for reference earliest archive of apple.com from 1996 http://socialmediasonar.com/wp-conte...1/july1996.gif
But the internet didn't exactly catch on until the 90s...

As an aside, I miss that rainbow Apple
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:05 PM   #15
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
I used to use OmniWeb before Roccat but I have now been using Roccat for around 2 years and I won't look back.

Also you do realize that in Roccat you can move the VisiTabs to the bottom or to the right hand side, or to the left hand side or even to a drawer like OmniWeb. There are definitely pros and cons for each, for example I really appreciate the "RClouds" feature for tab syncing, bookmarking syncing etc.. like other browsers have too (I haven't seen this on Omniweb), I also like the Roccat Flick feature for seamless sharing of sites over a network between macs, iPads and iPhones. I personally prefer the VisiTabs at the top so appreciate the ability to move them. OmniWeb was annoying as I like my web browser to take up all availiable space and that's difficult with the Drawer.

The pluses of OmniWeb (for me anyway) are workspaces and as you mentioned the better control of images, ads etc... and site specific preferences.

I wouldn't say Roccat is missing the "Advanced Features" as Roccat holds lots of Advanced features which OmniWeb doesn't have just like OmniWeb holds lots that Roccat doesn't have. I think they are all aimed towards slightly different markets and you have just got to decide which one best suits your needs and personality. Or use multiple browsers like I do haha
You are correct about the differing markets - I don't have/want any iToys, nor use the Cloud and Social sites, so Roccat gives no advantage over Omniweb for me. One of the advanced features missing in Roccat seems to be the inability to use a CSS file for better ad blocking, etc.

Yes, I am aware of the Tab locations available - I mentioned preferring the right-hand side because I thought the OP might not be aware of the flexibility available.

FWIW, I also use Slimboat on those occasions where I need to visit a page that requires open settings, rather than mess with the basic Omniweb settings. I also use Firefox to disable Auto-play and Auto refresh on certain cites.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:59 PM   #16
2012Tony2012
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I may try slimboat one day.
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:18 PM   #17
dirt farmer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Yes, they are painfully aware of their poor website, as they acknowledge:

"Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately we need to make the site compliant with older browsers, as most people who visit the site will be coming from another browser which may or may not be up to date with current web standards.

Having said that we are planning on updating the site to make it more simplistic but we have been super busy this past year!"
dirt farmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:55 AM   #18
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCODGER View Post
You are correct about the differing markets - I don't have/want any iToys, nor use the Cloud and Social sites, so Roccat gives no advantage over Omniweb for me. One of the advanced features missing in Roccat seems to be the inability to use a CSS file for better ad blocking, etc.

Yes, I am aware of the Tab locations available - I mentioned preferring the right-hand side because I thought the OP might not be aware of the flexibility available.

FWIW, I also use Slimboat on those occasions where I need to visit a page that requires open settings, rather than mess with the basic Omniweb settings. I also use Firefox to disable Auto-play and Auto refresh on certain cites.
I don't consider tab syncing a toy, it's crucial for my business to be able to access my open tabs from any Mac, iPhone, iPad. But then we go back to the different markets statement. The CSS statement is incorrect, Roccat supports CSS and UserScripts - I believe in the visual section of preferences (can't say for sure as I am not at my Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
Yes, they are painfully aware of their poor website, as they acknowledge:

"Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately we need to make the site compliant with older browsers, as most people who visit the site will be coming from another browser which may or may not be up to date with current web standards.

Having said that we are planning on updating the site to make it more simplistic but we have been super busy this past year!"
Haha atleast they know, tbh I would rather them continue perfecting the browser as apposed to the site anyway, I download for Macupdate anyway ahaha!

- Side note does anyone know when Roccat 3 is out?
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:51 PM   #19
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
I don't consider tab syncing a toy, it's crucial for my business to be able to access my open tabs from any Mac, iPhone, iPad. But then we go back to the different markets statement. The CSS statement is incorrect, Roccat supports CSS and UserScripts - I believe in the visual section of preferences (can't say for sure as I am not at my Mac.
I actually said iToys (iPhone, etc).

As for the CSS, it doesn't seem to accept a preprepared listing, such as Google AdSubtract or GoodVibrations. I have no interest in building my own from scratch.

Also, it lacks the ability to manage images, beyond a general yes or no setting. Bandwidth caps can be of concern, here.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 68040
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
Never heard of SlimBoat? Have you tried Slepnir?
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:15 AM   #21
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCODGER View Post
I actually said iToys (iPhone, etc).

As for the CSS, it doesn't seem to accept a preprepared listing, such as Google AdSubtract or GoodVibrations. I have no interest in building my own from scratch.

Also, it lacks the ability to manage images, beyond a general yes or no setting. Bandwidth caps can be of concern, here.
My bad misread the iToys sentence, but my sentence remains similar I don't consider an iPhone a toy either and it's also critical for my business.

You can easily copy the CSS code and paste it in the CSS and Userscripting window, it works fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Never heard of SlimBoat? Have you tried Slepnir?
I have tried Slepnir it's very beautiful but I do hate the UI, I hate having the address bar hidden, the gestures are highly annoying often accidentally closing tabs etc, and the websites don't seem to load as quickly as Roccat, and it seems to be using a lot of ram (for me anyway). It offers a lot of the features Roccat has and It also has an iOS app which is nice, so I am watching it's progress keenly as it definitely has potential, but at the moment it's not for me.
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:35 AM   #22
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
My bad misread the iToys sentence, but my sentence remains similar I don't consider an iPhone a toy either and it's also critical for my business.

You can easily copy the CSS code and paste it in the CSS and Userscripting window, it works fine
Ok, thanks for the tip on copy/paste - I only tried dragging the file over.

Now, if they could just make window resizing permanent ...
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:42 PM   #23
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCODGER View Post
Ok, thanks for the tip on copy/paste - I only tried dragging the file over.

Now, if they could just make window resizing permanent ...
No worries I am always learning all the features of all the browsers, and always happy to help, I have 20 browsers on my system at the moment!

What do you mean about window resizing?
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:03 PM   #24
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
No worries I am always learning all the features of all the browsers, and always happy to help, I have 20 browsers on my system at the moment!

What do you mean about window resizing?
Changing the size of the browser window (to get rid of side-scrolling) does not stick - on next reboot, it's back to original size.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:58 AM   #25
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
That's odd mine does,

The only way I think that can happen is if you have multiple windows as it seems to use the last opened size, or if your closing the window using the red x instead of just quiting will reset it.
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC