Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PedroDias

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I'm on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2. Until today i was having bad battry life (ranging from 5-6 hours) on casual usage. (Some gaming (15-30 minutes), the rest on facebook, twitter and safari) but today, doing the exact same stuff i usually do i got 3 hours usage only. Yes, I already restored my fone, twice! Yes, I restored it to factory settings. I don't have alot of things on push notifications (fb only) and i really try to be as battery friendly as possible. What else should i do? Should i try to downgrade my phone to 6.0.1?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 336

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Probably the 3G signal strength, if it's weak the phone will turn up the gain to lock onto the signal. This puts a heavy drain on the battery.

dannyboy42670

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
But a 60% bigger drain? Omg, that's too much!

Actually this is exactly what happens at my highshool. Verizon is bad in my area. Outside the school I get 2 Bars, inside I get 1 bar of 1x or if im lucky 1 bar of 3G, I usually leave school with 40% or less after 6 hours when entering with 100% and maybe 30 minutes usage for music or a quick text.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
But a 60% bigger drain? Omg, that's too much!
Pedro: In Brazil, particularly roaming outside your home state, Claro and TIM will eat your iPhone battery !!! :mad::mad::mad:

Thinking about trying Vivo but definitely the answer is network strength / roaming. The iPhone works best with strong signals.:rolleyes:

PedroDias

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Pedro: In Brazil, particularly roaming outside your home state, Claro and TIM will eat your iPhone battery !!! :mad::mad::mad:

Thinking about trying Vivo but definitely the answer is network strength / roaming. The iPhone works best with strong signals.:rolleyes:

Thanks!
Apple should at least try to do something about it...

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'm at 70% for today and have a useage of 2hrs, 14mins and standby of 9hrs, 19mins. I've gone to a genius appt. 2 times now complaining about the lack of optimization of ios6 and the new iPhone5. The guy replaced my phone on the second visit, but its only a shade better, instead of 5.5hrs max, I may get 6.5hrs max each charge.

I'm really hardly using the phone. It's all about my weak signal indoors with AT&T 4g or LTE. I only have 3 bars max throughout the day.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
it is what it is. i've learned to accept that the battery life for my iphone 5 will never be as good as the iphone 4 i owned. no matter the different things i did to help solve this issue. i'm just gonna have to live with it.

i get around 5-6 hours battery life on LTE and mainly browsing the net, watching youtube, checking emails and using various news apps.

but guess what, i'd rather live with a terrible battery life, subpar battery life than what apple advertised than deal with a scuffed phone, a bent phone. i'm glad i dont have to deal with the latter 2 :)

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I guess it all must depend on where you are, signal strength and whatnot. On my 5 I have 3 push emails going all day, all radios constantly on (wifi, 3G, LTE, BlueTooth) and getting this:

Attachments

• IMG_0752.PNG
    IMG_0752.PNG
    107.8 KB · Views: 68

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2. Until today i was having bad battry life (ranging from 5-6 hours) on casual usage. (Some gaming (15-30 minutes), the rest on facebook, twitter and safari) but today, doing the exact same stuff i usually do i got 3 hours usage only. Yes, I already restored my fone, twice! Yes, I restored it to factory settings. I don't have alot of things on push notifications (fb only) and i really try to be as battery friendly as possible. What else should i do? Should i try to downgrade my phone to 6.0.1?

You misspelled "Terrific"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.