Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Seeking to enhance its profile among music buyers, Amazon today announced the launch of AutoRip, a new service that offers customers who purchase physical CDs through Amazon free digital copies of their purchases through Amazon Cloud Player. The service is also retroactive, meaning that customers who bought any of the thousands of eligible CDs through Amazon since 1998 will automatically find digital versions of their past purchases in Cloud Player.
When customers purchase AutoRip CDs, the MP3 versions are automatically added to their Cloud Player libraries, where they are available, free of charge, for immediate playback or download - no more waiting for the CD to arrive. Additionally, customers who have purchased AutoRip CDs at any time since Amazon first opened its Music Store in 1998 will find MP3 versions of those albums in their Cloud Player libraries - also automatically and for free. More than 50,000 albums, including titles from every major record label, are available for AutoRip, and more titles are added all the time - customers can just look for the AutoRip logo.
AutoRip tracks are encoded as 256 Kbps MP3 files and are playable on a wide variety of devices including the iPhone and iPod touch, and can also be accessed through any web browser. AutoRip tracks do not count toward users' storage limits for the Cloud Player service.

amazon_autorip.jpg
Amazon has been working for years to eat into Apple's dominant share of the digital music market, offering discounted prices and matching or exceeding Apple's features such as iTunes Match with its own offerings. With the new AutoRip service, Amazon clearly hopes to attract many longtime customers who have purchased physical CDs from the company by offering free digital versions to introduce them to Cloud Player.

Article Link: Amazon Launches 'AutoRip', Offering Free Digital Versions of Purchased CDs

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Free digital copies should be included with every type of media purchase. It's not hard at all to rip a CD to your iTunes library, cloud or whatever...but inclusion of the digital copy is a nice touch. Like buying a DVD of your favorite movie that includes a digital copy. It's usually better done than something you may do yourself, such as a backup archival via Handbrake or something.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
how is it hard to put in a CD and just rip it manually? lol.

I guess this makes it slightly easier.

Whatever... People still buy music?

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
How long until one of the labels sues Amazon because one of the tracks they gave to a customer is one of a CD that was bought as a gift and the purchaser no longer owns?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Over the years I've bought far more than 14 CDs from Amazon, but that's what I got from AutoRip today. It's a great path for the luddites among us.

Thanks Amazon!

B

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
How long until one of the labels sues Amazon because one of the tracks they gave to a customer is one of a CD that was bought as a gift and the purchaser no longer owns?

I was wondering the same thing, I'm kind of assuming the license for the MP3s is separate from the physical media (CD). Notice it's a specific "class" of CDs, so I figure those have the licensing worked out.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

I'm sure they've factored that in to their licensing costs. It's no different that iTunes Match. It can't tell if you still own the CD you've ripped and matched. Or even if you ever did.

B

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Very cool idea!

I often still buy CDs if the price is cheaper than a digital album download. Especially for pre-owned items or out-of-print items. Plus I like the freedom to rip the CD at whatever quality and format I choose.

This is especially good if you want to listen to your CD instantly, but don't want to wait for it to physically arrive.

Great going Amazon! :D

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Their player/DRM thing (and I never complain) is SO FREAKING AWFUL. My wife bought something from them and we spent like 2 hours trying to download it, being denied, and having to file a claim and be reimbursed. It was one of the worst online experiences I've ever had. Customer support said we did nothing wrong, just try the purchase again. We definitely did not try again

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Over the years I've bought far more than 14 CDs from Amazon, but that's what I got from AutoRip today. It's a great path for the luddites among us.

Thanks Amazon!

B

I got most of mine too, just checked. Heck, I don't even remember a couple of those CDs :D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Turn a sweet CD into awful MP3 formats? Sorry I will keep using WAV formats in iTunes.

That's the point here. You can get your MP3s instantly, and rip to WAV/FLAC/ALAC once the CD comes in. No effort required to stream your tunes from any cloud player compatible device.

B

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Yes, before it begins: people still buy CDs. They make great gifts and actually sound BETTER than an MP3. I think CD sales may actually still make more $$$ than downloads for the industry. I know for artists I collect, I still buy the CD. Amazon may have saved the compact disc with this innovation!

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Would be grand if they still had those buy 1 get 10 free mail order things from Columbia house and bge music. So much random good music was discovered growing up with those deals.

jazzbo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008
Bangor, ME
I'm wondering how many people are ending up with free mp3 copies of CDs they bought for others. If they were specifically marked as a gift, you apparently don't get a copy, but if you just bought the CDs and had them delivered to you so you could wrap yourself-- say as Christmas gifts, Amazon wouldn't know and presumably will give you copies for eligible CDs.

Need to check with my Dad to see what (if anything) he might have got. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.