Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
No, actually, I haven't . (And, glancing and galloping through this thread, I realised that, inexplicably, I had somehow missed this post....) Evidently, another treat is in store for me...

As it happens, most of these works came to me as gifts from the German partner of one of my brothers; she loved 'Buddenbrooks' and also gave me - over a period of several years - the others as gifts.

Okay, 'Mefisto' (which I already know I will 'get', and be fascinated by, since I love that sort of story) and 'Siddharta' (which I know next to nothing about) are on my to-read & must-read list...

Because you've said you like this kind of 'infos': I just noticed that saying Erika, the wife of Gustav Gründgens, was the sister of Klaus. Well, since the actor and the author both happens to be called that way it wasn't very informative. She's the sister of Klaus Mann. There are also numerous books about the Mann dynasty as well - probably comparable with the Kennedys in the US - which are interesting to read as they, the family, combine and represent lots of important and interesting questions, styles, ideas and the changes regarding all these aspects due to the course of time and what we learn now in our history lessons
. If you're intersted I could search for one or two publications.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Attachments

• dishonor.jpg
    dishonor.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 265

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Well, I finished The Hobbit on vacation and started LoTR immediately after. I really enjoyed The Hobbit, and so far I'm enjoying The Fellowship of the Ring. I bought LoTR as a single volume for Kindle, and look forward to finishing it.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Going Solo. Excellent book so far, if you like social research books. :cool:

Basically: **** marriage.:D:p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 11.51.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 11.51.12 AM.png
    274.5 KB · Views: 46

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Book 6 in the Monkeewrench series I believe.

41z-FfCuhUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

My issue with this book is that the prejudice of the authors towards certain groups was right out there in the open. It's both surprising and disappointing considering the previous entries in the series.

Also just finished

51zEC-1NeTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I like Carnegie's approach to handling people. It's not the kind of thing I'll take on board 100%, but it gives some food for thought.

Now I have some law books I really need to get through before term starts again :eek:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Actually, I have heard of this book; is it any good? I love books about the history (and story) of food, drink, or anything of the sort. They tend to throw a very interesting light on economic and cultural history, social attitudes, and often give a fascinating insight into how societies and political cultures evolved.
I like it so far! Just began last night as I went to bed. The parallels drawn between olive oil and wine production, process and industry are interesting. Like you I'm fond of books about the details and history of foods. My cookbook shelf is peppered with books that detail the why, and not just the how. Food is so essential and basic that its history is our (culture's, species, planet's) history, and I think that allows a connection to the world which transcends individual experience.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished Ashes of Victory, Honor Harrington #9. I'm gonna take a break from HH before I start the next one. Some momentous events in this chapter. Truly an epic series, however I'm noticing lots more bla bla bla and less action. The bla bla consists of a spectrum of events happening in the HH Universe, some interesting, and some that could be skipped in my expert opinion. ;)

AshesOfVictory.jpg

Gonna start the most recent Sookie Stackhouse novel #12, Deadlocked. These are usually quick reads.

51u0KrbMSsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
For some reason that book has fallen by the wayside for me. It really hasn't gripped me

Really? I really enjoyed it when I read it, almost to the point I couldn't put it down. Admittedly, prior to reading it, I knew very little about Jobs so...

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Really? I really enjoyed it when I read it, almost to the point I couldn't put it down. Admittedly, prior to reading it, I knew very little about Jobs so...

Hear hear. I agree. Wasnt that long either took me maybe 3-4 days, we learned quite a few things never heard like steve crackin tv..

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Hear hear. I agree. Wasnt that long either took me maybe 3-4 days, we learned quite a few things never heard like steve crackin tv..

For some reason that book has fallen by the wayside for me. It really hasn't gripped me

I find it intriguing. I just read other books and am now coming back to finish. Sometimes though I'm too tired from working to read, but I'm determined to finish... Can't let a bought book go to waste, unread!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I find it intriguing. I just read other books and am now coming back to finish. Sometimes though I'm too tired from working to read, but I'm determined to finish... Can't let a bought book go to waste, unread!

Yes, oddly enough, I, too, have yet to bury myself in the biography of Steve Jobs written by Walter Isaacson. I bought it over a year ago, and plan to sit down with it and read it - slowly - from cover to cover, some day soon. Meanwhile, the book - all by itself - sits on a table, winking at me, teasing and daring me to flick through its pages. Not yet.

For much of the past week, evenings have been taken up with a rapid revisit of Brandon Sanderson's 'Mistborn' trilogy; I read it - at a gallop - a few years ago, having returned from a period of several months abroad. Now, a more measured read confirms that this is an exceptionally good trilogy. Well recommended to those whom like well-written, well imagined fantasy worlds, with good character development, internally cohesive 'magical' systems and a rollicking good tale to tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.