Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Last year I purchased a 3GS, and had the same data issue. I have now upgraded to a 4s, and am hoping the data problem can be resolved.

It is a 4s, running iOS 6.0.1 on ATT prepaid (and modem firmware is 3.0.04, if that is important, it has been in the past..)

Text and calls work, however I get this when I try to use data.. photo.PNG

This is the same message I received a year ago too, and the resolution involved altering the apn or something. Although apparently with iOS 6 apple made it so you cannot do that anymore?

(By the way, picture messages do not send, either)

If anyone has solutions, thanks a lot! :)

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I am on T-Mobile with an iPhone 5 and am able to alter the APN settings. My iPhone is unlocked. Are you sure you haven't tried to see if you can edit the APN settings?
Settings -> General -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Network. From there, you can manually configure your APN settings

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
yep, I do. And I have tried the site, but ever since ios6 I haven't gotten it to work (I had data working on my 3GS, although picture texts never sent/received. On the new phone, neither work.)

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Oh, nevermind, because the PAYG one works I'm just dumb.

On another note, the pictures still will not send. I don't suppose you know how to fix that, too? :)

**also, safari is working on network, but imessages are not still, either. I did not notice this at first.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
I'm bumping this because I really would appreciate answers, it's very frustrating. The data isn't working again except for internet, my imessage will not activate, so i just deleted the stupid apn thing.

I know it is possible to do this, I am just so tired of trying to figure it out.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm bumping this because I really would appreciate answers, it's very frustrating. The data isn't working again except for internet, my imessage will not activate, so i just deleted the stupid apn thing.

I know it is possible to do this, I am just so tired of trying to figure it out.

Lol:)
The data isn't working but the Internet does?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Have you tried going to your AT&T store and asking them? Maybe one out of all the employees can help you

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
They most likely won't help because it's against AT&T's policy to use an iPhone with their prepaid GoPhone SIMs.

What they'll want to do is set you up on a month-to-month smartphone plan at the regular $80+ rate.

If you want low cost prepaid on AT&T's network, I'd suggest using an AT&T mvno such as Straight Talk, Net10, Red Pocket, etc.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
They most likely won't help because it's against AT&T's policy to use an iPhone with their prepaid GoPhone SIMs.

What they'll want to do is set you up on a month-to-month smartphone plan at the regular $80+ rate.

If you want low cost prepaid on AT&T's network, I'd suggest using an AT&T mvno such as Straight Talk, Net10, Red Pocket, etc.

Yeah, I was told AT&T Prepaid doesn't support the iPhone, even if you have a data plan.

Felicide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah, they do not help you. Although when I went to get a micro sim the girl just set the whole thing up for me and just told me not to call for help because nobody can help me, technically.

I don't really know what "an ATT mvno" is, but don't all of those require plans? Just reduced price a little.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Yeah, they do not help you. Although when I went to get a micro sim the girl just set the whole thing up for me and just told me not to call for help because nobody can help me, technically.

I don't really know what "an ATT mvno" is, but don't all of those require plans? Just reduced price a little.

I'm not sure what you mean by require plans, but most (if not all) are a prepaid month-to-month service with no contracts.

mvno's (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) sublease from major spectrum holders (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc), then provide that service to consumers at a lower rate. Lower because they aren't paying to build and maintain their own network.

Here is a list of US based mvno's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

heyitsfez

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012

Try resetting the network settings. I used to get this exact same error, I'm on an unlocked iphone 5 using data on prepaid. I did that I never saw that error again.

Settings - General - Reset - reset network settings

It wont delete anything personal on your phone. It'll just reset the way the phone is used to fetch data. It shouldn't hurt to try. That's how I got rid of that screen which was annoying. I also read this solution from another forum, so I'm pretty sure this should work for you,

Good luck! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.