iPhone 4s Unlocked--DATA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Felicide, Jan 9, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Last year I purchased a 3GS, and had the same data issue. I have now upgraded to a 4s, and am hoping the data problem can be resolved.

It is a 4s, running iOS 6.0.1 on ATT prepaid (and modem firmware is 3.0.04, if that is important, it has been in the past..)

Text and calls work, however I get this when I try to use data.. photo.PNG

This is the same message I received a year ago too, and the resolution involved altering the apn or something. Although apparently with iOS 6 apple made it so you cannot do that anymore?

(By the way, picture messages do not send, either)

If anyone has solutions, thanks a lot! :)

2. macrumors 601

darricksailo

I am on T-Mobile with an iPhone 5 and am able to alter the APN settings. My iPhone is unlocked. Are you sure you haven't tried to see if you can edit the APN settings?
    Settings -> General -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Network. From there, you can manually configure your APN settings

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, this is what shows up, I do not have an option to do that
    photo (1).PNG

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Do you have a data plan on your prepaid account?
    Go to unlockit.co.nz using your iphones safari browser and try to download and install the correct apn config file.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, I do. And I have tried the site, but ever since ios6 I haven't gotten it to work (I had data working on my 3GS, although picture texts never sent/received. On the new phone, neither work.)

6. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Doing this, I now get this message after 2-3 different tries..
    photo (2).PNG

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, nevermind, because the PAYG one works I'm just dumb.

On another note, the pictures still will not send. I don't suppose you know how to fix that, too? :)

**also, safari is working on network, but imessages are not still, either. I did not notice this at first.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm bumping this because I really would appreciate answers, it's very frustrating. The data isn't working again except for internet, my imessage will not activate, so i just deleted the stupid apn thing.

I know it is possible to do this, I am just so tired of trying to figure it out.

10. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    The data isn't working but the Internet does?

11. macrumors 601

darricksailo

Have you tried going to your AT&T store and asking them? Maybe one out of all the employees can help you

12. macrumors 6502a

They most likely won't help because it's against AT&T's policy to use an iPhone with their prepaid GoPhone SIMs.

What they'll want to do is set you up on a month-to-month smartphone plan at the regular $80+ rate.

If you want low cost prepaid on AT&T's network, I'd suggest using an AT&T mvno such as Straight Talk, Net10, Red Pocket, etc.

13. macrumors 68020

Yeah, I was told AT&T Prepaid doesn't support the iPhone, even if you have a data plan.

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, they do not help you. Although when I went to get a micro sim the girl just set the whole thing up for me and just told me not to call for help because nobody can help me, technically.

I don't really know what "an ATT mvno" is, but don't all of those require plans? Just reduced price a little.

15. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean by require plans, but most (if not all) are a prepaid month-to-month service with no contracts.

mvno's (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) sublease from major spectrum holders (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc), then provide that service to consumers at a lower rate. Lower because they aren't paying to build and maintain their own network.

Here is a list of US based mvno's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

16. macrumors member

Try resetting the network settings. I used to get this exact same error, I'm on an unlocked iphone 5 using data on prepaid. I did that I never saw that error again.

Settings - General - Reset - reset network settings

It wont delete anything personal on your phone. It'll just reset the way the phone is used to fetch data. It shouldn't hurt to try. That's how I got rid of that screen which was annoying. I also read this solution from another forum, so I'm pretty sure this should work for you,

Good luck! :)