Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Do these graphic drivers updates have any effect on games like Stacraft II for example ?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Do these graphic drivers updates have any effect on games like Stacraft II for example ?

If I understand correctly, the drivers seem to be for unreleased cards for [supposed] unreleased Mac's. Speculation seems to point towards a new ATI card for the Mac Pro, whether that holds true will come with time. I haven't seen a difference on my [almost three year old] current gen Mac Pro 5,1 or current gen MacBook air, or even my current gen Mini. It would be nice if Apple released support for OpenGL Core 4.0+, as this has been available on Windows for years while OS X, well, is behind the curve.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
If I understand correctly, the drivers seem to be for unreleased cards for [supposed] unreleased Mac's. Speculation seems to point towards a new ATI card for the Mac Pro, whether that holds true will come with time. I haven't seen a difference on my [almost three year old] current gen Mac Pro 5,1 or current gen MacBook air, or even my current gen Mini. It would be nice if Apple released support for OpenGL Core 4.0+, as this has been available on Windows for years while OS X, well, is behind the curve.

Most people don't realize that Mountain Lion opened up Mac Pros so they can use any NVidia PC card right out of the box. We upgraded most of our older Mac Pros to NVidia GeForce GTX 640's. Plugged them in..... whamo!.. the work flawlessly.

The only card that's been glitchy for us is the NVidia 660 GTX Ti.... it works well except in Adobe Premiere where it's sketchy.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Most people don't realize that Mountain Lion opened up Mac Pros so they can use any NVidia PC card right out of the box. We upgraded most of our older Mac Pros to NVidia GeForce GTX 640's. Plugged them in..... whamo!.. the work flawlessly.

The only card that's been glitchy for us is the NVidia 660 GTX Ti.... it works well except in Adobe Premiere where it's sketchy.

Oh I know. I "upgraded" my Mac Pro 5,1 with a CalDigit USB 3.0 PCIe card, an OWC EXTREME 6G 256 GB SSD (got the SATA III model for future SATA III systems), an LG BD-RE ODD, etc. I kept the ATI Radeon 5770 as it suits my needs. However, this is still fairly sad as they should be standard on current gen hardware, especially as the "pro" system.

However, there seems to be issues with the 660, etc for high FPS, esp in games:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=60248&page=13

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I decided to test this on a 2012 cMBP. SSD

After closing all apps I shut it down. The timer started when I clicked on the pop up menu to shut down.
You have an SSD. That right there explains the difference and kind of invalidates your test.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Please don't rudely correct someone with false information. You catch more flies with honey... :)
Then by all means practice what you preach!

Source: http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/23/mac_os_x_software_chief_bertrand_serlet_to_depart_apple"]Mac OS X software chief Bertrand Serlet to depart Apple
Read that article again and then tell us what their sources are. Can't find it? Don't worry, it isn't you, there simply aren't any sources. Add to that that you are referring to a website that posts rumours that sometimes are true and sometimes aren't. What you are using as a source isn't a very good one, it is a very very weak one and thus shouldn't be used at all.

It seemed until recently no one had taken over as Senior VP of Software Engineering. No one had that title until Craig Federighi was [finally] listed on Apple's Executive Profiles.
The same goes for Eddy Cue, Jonathan Ive and Bob Mansfield. Apple changed it's upper management recently. With that change there came a change in job titles as well.

Gizmodo and Apple do not have a good relationship after that iPhone 4 incident. Also the author of that article doesn't know Apple's software portfolio. OS X and iOS are only 2 pieces of software that Apple makes. There are many others. Apple also does hardware, services (iCloud) and retail shops. Et voila, those are exactly the new VPs: hardware, software, services and retail. The new management makes more sense than the old did.

You can throw any article at us you want but the problem is that those articles will mostly be rumours since Apple is a blackbox style company. It doesn't tell the outside world much about its organisation, products, etc. You need to be a lot more cautious with stating such things as the absolute truth because they aren't. They are mostly some guy's take at how Apple does things or somebody who heard it from somebody who knows some guy at Apple. That's guessing, sometimes it's complete BS, sometimes it is accurate.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

You again. Thanks for the "constructive" criticism (and yes, this is meant to be sarcastic). You seem to read into a lot of what I write, and then accuse me of doing the same. Irony. As for your accusations that I'm [allegedly] some horrible person who comments rudely on MacRumors with misinformation (and nice job attempting to discredit me when I did list sources, even actual quotes from Bertrand himself), I suggest you read my comments more objectively as many would disagree:

Wow, your name "bedifferent" certainly captures your refreshing approach to forum participation! Thank you for teaching me something today, and for doing it so graciously after I contradicted you without any evidence. :)

Since this is the xxth time you've decided on personally attacking me for no reason, you're the first member to make my ignore list. Congrats :)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." — Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Macs aren't used to being shut down or rebooted. That's a Windows thing.

:D

You're so right. At work we're told to reboot our PCs at least once a day. I home, the only Mac shutdown is when I upgrade the system. I have iTunes feeding my whole house sound system and TV 24/7.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

They could. But without doing a proper test and compare it's hard to tell. It might be that the focus in the drivers has mainly been to fix bugs and not so much optimization. I don't know. At the same time I do think the game developers (i.e. Blizzard) communicate with Apple and Nvidia/AMD when it comes to the OS X graphics drivers. Also I'm sure a lot of games are being tested at Apple/Nvidia/AMD so test the drivers. I remember a few years ago where an OS X update fixed issues with World of Warcraft (new graphics drivers in the update).

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
You're so right. At work we're told to reboot our PCs at least once a day. I home, the only Mac shutdown is when I upgrade the system. I have iTunes feeding my whole house sound system and TV 24/7.
There are a lot of companies where it is a policy to power off everything to save power and it is a wise thing to do as this can safe the company quite a lot of money. There are also quite a lot of other things that will run in the background to do some maintenance on the network. There are some licenses around that will allow a computer to take it. If all those licenses are taken nobody else can work with that software any more. To prevent situations like that they might have this "power off when you go home" policy. It isn't something that is a Windows-only thing at all. However, rebooting computers once a day is just silly. Something is definitely wrong there.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Any Developers reading all these complaints/bug issues, please report it to Apple so they can actually address and fix these bugs. I think one submission from a developer is worth as much as 100 submissions of a feedback from user. So if you share our pain, please report it! Thank you.

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Any Developers reading all these complaints/bug issues, please report it to Apple so they can actually address and fix these bugs. I think one submission from a developer is worth as much as 100 submissions of a feedback from user. So if you share our pain, please report it! Thank you.

Indeed - just today I suffered another case of Ethernet disconnection upon wake...if 10.8.3 doesn't fix it I don't know what else to say.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
There are a lot of companies where it is a policy to power off everything to save power and it is a wise thing to do as this can safe the company quite a lot of money.

In reality I'm not sure how that works out. The bean counters will need balance the cost of the base units being on standby at night, against the cost of a staff member sitting around the next morning being very much less productive for the half an hour it takes, (in my company at least in some cases), before the software is working smoothly.

It's a weird thing though because the computer being off saves money in absolute terms. The true cost of having an unproductive worker is very difficult to quantify and is more potential loss than real loss.

floobie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Canada
Hopefully this comes out soon. 10.8.2 hasn't exactly been great for me. My only real gripe are the rendering issues in Safari related to graphics switching. I'm using Firefox until they clear that up, which is a shame, because I generally really prefer Safari. I miss my iCloud tab and bookmark syncing...

While I've had the occasional slow shutdown (seems more related to my Time Machine external drive spinning up than anything on the computer itself), my battery life has still been "as advertised". I can still get a full day of work out of my Macbook Pro's battery, including work in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yes, SL, Lion, and ML all pretty much have the same Kernel, which explains the crazy memory usage and random Kernel Panics.

Kernel version has progressed from 10.x -> 12.x and they have made a major transition to 64bit only in that time. Even if it had remained static, how would that explain your claims of "crazy memory usage and random Kernel Panics. "? One plus one does not equal three.

Except for a driver issue I was having with 10.8 beta and 10.8.0, I have had zero kernel panics on ML.

The problem here is people trying to use words like "kernel" which they have a very limited understanding of. For some reason it's pretty common on Mac forums like this.

----------

once represented such great and flawless Mac software.

OS X has never been flawless, not even close. For one thing, it was barely usable until about 10.2.

----------

Any Developers reading all these complaints/bug issues, please report it to Apple so they can actually address and fix these bugs.

Since you're an "expert" that knows all about the Darwin Kernel and memory leaks, file your own report:
https://bugreport.apple.com/

You don't need a paid developers account to do so.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
People will put up with a lot of crap for free or cheap. Android's proof of that.

What a foolish statement to make. How much did you pay for your last iOS update?

----------

As for your accusations that I'm [allegedly] some horrible person who comments rudely on MacRumors with misinformation

Your whole post was opinion which you posted under the guise of objectivity and fact. I consider that misinformation as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.