Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
So, for all those who are complaining about Kutcher being the actor to play Jobs, I've noticed that most of you are NOT offering an alternative for Kutcher.

What amazing actor do you suggest?

No matter who you suggest, there will be masses of people who complain. Why? Because some people just like to complain and because this is a subjective issue anyway. Regardless of the actor chosen there will be complainers who aren't happy.

What I do like about Kutcher is that he DOES have passion, something that Jobs showed over and over again through the years. Kutcher has been on the forefront of investing in internet and product startups over the past 5-10 years AND Kutcher also loves Mac, Apple, etc. Thus, I am sure that he'll put a lot of effort into this role simply because I'm sure HE has respect for Jobs as a person and for what he accomplished professionally in technology.

Is Kutcher the most amazing actor? No. But, he is passionate, looks like Jobs AND is of the appropriate age for playing this part. Keep in mind that most "A" list actors are many years older in age - and I doubt that the younger actors would get any fewer complaints than Kutcher.

Like I said... if you're going to complain about Kutcher... offer an alternative that would be a better fit. Whoever you choose people will complain and whine.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
If this was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, I would look forward to him bringing a great performance from a subpar actor like he has done in the past.

Looking at the credits though, it appears to be mediocrity from pre-production to post. This just looks like a money grab and an attempt to get a biographical film out before the authorized version and while the Jobs hype is still somewhat fresh after his death. The fact that "jOBS" got approval as the title should be another indicator of it's overall quality. If Steve thought "iSteve" was a crappy book title, I can only imagine his reaction to this nonsensical stylization.

I imagine many of the members here will sing it's praises when it's released. After a year or two to digest it though, and after the authorized film is released, people will likely see it as being insanely average in hindsight, if not the s-word that Jobs liked to use.

Blah blah blah. All speculation.

----------

Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

Also, what "serious roles" has Kutcher done "pretty damn well"?

Lol. Rotten tomatoes. Nuff' said.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

The fact that you quoted Rotten Tomato just shows the kind of mentality you have over this.

Your logic: "He's focused mainly on comedy roles. That means he'll suck big time at everything else - its physically impossible for him to not suck because its this guy". If I didn't know better I'd say you were trying to follow the sheep and just say he's crap "because he is".

Also, serious roles:
- The Butterfly Effect
- The Guardian
- Personal Effects

As I said, just because an actor hasn't been in a huge number of roles of a specific genre, how the hell does that immediately indicate that they MUST suck at it?

(Oh and dont read reviews from critics and take them seriously - they are called critics for a reason :rolleyes: )

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
I've read it annually for the past ten years or so. As a heads up, everyone is roughly 8 years older at the start of the movie compared to the book, though they end at about the same age. I feel like a lot is going to be lost on account of that alone - I think the movie should have been done as pure CGI, just because the ages seemed so important and getting enough talented actors at those ages is completely impossible.

Ender's Game? I've never heard of it.. could you tell me a bit of what it is about? I'm not sure how young the characters are in that novel, but "The Hunger Games" had some decent young actors, I'm not sure if they're as young as the ones in the "Ender's Game" book though.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Ender's Game? I've never heard of it.. could you tell me a bit of what it is about? I'm not sure how young the characters are in that novel, but "The Hunger Games" had some decent young actors, I'm not sure if they're as young as the ones in the "Ender's Game" book though.

The title character starts at age 4 and at the end is 12, if I recall correctly. One of the main supporting characters is 2 at the start (although I think they've decided to introduce him later in the story for the movie than in the book.)

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
The biggest review aggregation site for movies is something to be dismissed?

Lol. Post by Lark.Landon. Nuff' said.

Just because it is one of the largest review websites, does not mean its reviews are accurate or even valid. I've found that I disagree with over 70% of the reviews done by the critics there. Most simply classified as, "movie snobs".

So yes, I dismiss the critics of Rotten Tomatoes almost on a daily basis. And no, I'm not trolling. I used to actually take the critics opinions into account until recently. ( Last 6 months )

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
The title character starts at age 4 and at the end is 12, if I recall correctly. One of the main supporting characters is 2 at the start (although I think they've decided to introduce him later in the story for the movie than in the book.)

Oh wow. Yeah, that is definitely a near impossibility to cast properly hehe. I'll Wiki the storyline of the book though. I like reading the novel before watching the film whenever possible.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.

That's all I read. As soon you said Rotten Tomatoes I quit reading. Just about any movie they say that is "tasteless" the audience (the real critics the one that brings the movie in money) ends liking the film a lot more.

Butteryfly Effect got a 33% from Rotten Tomatoes (I laughed and have even less respect for them after seeing that). The Audience liked it and it has a 81%. Butterfly Effect is not an amazing movie but it is a very good movie and Ashton Kutcher did a great job in it.

Plus I never understood whining about what actors a movie uses. You could name some other actor their would be just as many people saying "ugh why did they choice this person? Should have chosen someone else!"

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I personally dont quite get the Kutcher hate. Yeah he has been playing in a lot of comedy movies. So has Bill Murray. Does that make him a bad actor?
(im not saying Kutcher is as good as Murray).

I think Kutcher fits quit nice in the role of Jobs. He looks like his twin. Also , I hink Kutcher's comedic background might be an advantage actuallly. He is the sunnyboy but Steve wasnt that different in his young age.

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
I am worried about how [the Sony movie] will turn out since Sorkin said the entire movie will be 3 scenes of product launches behind the scenes and doesn't even include the iPhone or iPad! :confused:

Yeah, I'm with you; it's hard to believe this odd framing will capture the many arcs of Steve Jobs' life. It could work; Sorkin probably knows what he's doing. I'm sure both productions will be serviceable, entertaining vehicles full of enough reverence to give both fans and haters something to talk about for a while. The coverage of both of productions so far, however, has left me a bit flat. Maybe that's good; with low expectations, I may actually be impressed.

Either way, I fear a "definitive" life story of Steve Jobs from "the adoptive parents must be college graduates" to "Oh wow! Oh wow!" will be several years, if not decades, off. The ultimate problem is that Steve Jobs himself was a masterpiece. Could any movie version of his life ever truly measure up?

And for the record, I've always felt the best actor to play Steve Jobs would be Christian Bale. Anyone who's seen The Fighter, or (and especially) The Machinist, knows Bale's commitment to a role. Bale favors Jobs closely enough that makeup could sell the rest. Plus Bale could portray the full range of who Jobs was across all the years of his life, all the way to the end.

Last edited:

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Yeah, I'm with you; it's hard to believe this odd framing will capture the many arcs of Steve Jobs' life. It could work; Sorkin probably knows what he's doing. I'm sure oth productions will be serviceable, entertaining vehicles full of enough reverence to give both fans and haters something to talk about for a while. The coverage of both of productions so far, however, has left me a bit flat. Maybe that's good; with low expectations, I may actually be impressed.

Either way, I fear a "definitive" life story of Steve Jobs from "the adoptive parents must be college graduates" to "Oh wow! Oh wow!" will be several years, if not decades, off. The ultimate problem is that Steve Jobs himself was a masterpiece. Could any movie version of his life ever truly measure up?

And for the record, I've always felt the best actor to play Steve Jobs would be Christian Bale. Anyone who's seen The Fighter, or (and especially) The Machinist, knows Bale's commitment to a role. Bale favors Jobs closely enough that makeup could sell the rest. Plus Bale could portray the full range of who Jobs was across all the years of his life, all the way to the end.

I agree with you except on Christian Bale haha. I just don't have much personal respect for him even if he is a decent actor. Just my personal preference.

Either way, I am excited to see all of the Steve content being created for me to watch :)

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

Butterfly Effect, which should be way higher than 33%. Look how audience approval is 80%. Meanwhile you got movies like Mystery Men (one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theatre), ranked as fresh by critics, while the audience hates it. Critics are wierd

Ashton Kutcher is one of those actors who's annoying because the roles he's typecast in are annoying. But once in a while he'll get a dramatic role that shows what he can do. He's like Anthony Anderson - people hated him then all of a sudden he's on the Shield and people realize he can act. Or how Mo'nique was annoying before she did Precious and won a ton of awards.

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
I'm just waiting on the trailer. A picture is nice, but I'm trying to see some video footage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.