Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I'll gladly buy my first iPad when the Mini has Retina display and the same CPU as the full sized iPad.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Excellent point. Every upgrade of an Apple product only costs half the price due to the resale value. I don't have a problem with Apple going to a 6 month cycle. It will be up to the buyer whether the upgrade is worth it. Apple is just offering upgrades, and iOS updates still work with older models.

Problem is, the faster the product launches get, the faster the resale value of that "old" device drops as apple products saturate the market, i am already seeing this happen with the iPhones and even the Macbooks and iMacs and Minis are plummeting in re-sale price in the local 2nd hand retail establishments because they are now worried about being left with stock they cant sell when the next product comes out.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
The mini will NOT get retina this soon. Keep dreaming, people. It will probably just get an A6 chip.

I heard the very same thing last year before the retina ipad launched. Bookmark this comment so we can laugh at this guy when it happens.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Fine with me. Competition is good, faster development cycles are good. The only people who are going to complain are those who must have the latest version at all cost. While I 'get' the desire to have the latest and greatest, all it does, besides fill Apple's coffers, is perpetuate our throwaway society.

My iPad2 and iPhone4S are still perfectly functional. I'll probably replace them either when iOS support disappears or their batteries die.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
iPad April 3, 2010

iPad 2 March 11, 2011

iPad 3 March 16, 2012

iPad 4 November 2, 2012
iPad mini November 2, 2012

they most likely upgrade the mini on March and release the iPad 5 too because the iPad 4 was just an upgrade to the iPad 3 it was more like an iPad 3S

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I can't see Apple adding a retina screen to the iPad Mini in March. I can't see them even putting out a new revision in March! They don't need to when they're selling as many as they are.

But... if they do I won't mind. I'll weigh up whether the addition of the higher res screen is worth the inevitable extra weight or power requirements. I won't upgrade automatically.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.
yep, the day it is released they'll shut yours off.

GET READY!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Why?
Aren't new features a good thing?
Do the previous models tragically stop working? :confused:

The previous models might not stop working, but its the enforced obsolescence apple create by leaving out features that would work fine on the old model in the OS update that usually accompanies the new model, just because there would be no reason to upgrade if it didn't.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I fell for this BS on the iPad4. Partly because my iPhone 4 died and I had to get a new one, so I got the iPhone 5. Then, I didn't want to maintain a set of 30pin cables/peripherals and another set of lighting ones for the iPhone 5. And I refused to pay Apple's freakin' insane adaptor cost of $29 that should have been included when they made the switch.

Ok, so you forked out several hundred $s on an iPhone 5 but didn't want to spend an extra $29 for each of the 30 pin leads you have yes?

I'm with you so far....

So, I unloaded all my iPad2 stuff at a loss and bought the iPad4.

:D

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
You suuuuuure?

Methinks Retina is important to staying ahead of the competition. :apple: is pushing it thru the whole product line. While some people don't see/care the difference, enough do that it becomes a key point of superior quality. As production of such high-res displays ramps up, and with the CES introductions of 4K displays & GPUs, the entire product line will get that resolution. Even the mini.

Non-Retina is fast equating to low quality hardware.
There is no reason not to make the mini's display Retina.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Well this would be interesting.

A 6 month cycle keeps it fresh for new customers which is good, I guess.

The 9.7" iPad will probably get a form factor update, but Mini stays the same.

The question is do they add retina or just boost specs for the mini? Could be A6/1GB RAM. Of course it would be hard to differentiate between the two generations in that case...

The real question is can the A6 handle an iPad retina display?

Slackula

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2003
Just taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm guessing it will be even a little bit thinner....:D

greg78x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
So Cal
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

Releasing a new version does not make yours any worse. Do you want a company to stop improving their products just so that YOU won't feel like yours is outdated? For me, I don't really give a ***** how often they release a new product. I would rather Apple keeps innovating, competing and improving.

Stop thinking about yourself. :D

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Wow... they are really going out on a limb here. The fifth generation iPad is going to be lighter and thinner? I would have thunk it?

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months

Sorry, but this is inaccurate. With a fixed or "known" release schedule, buyers tend to hold off making purchases until the "new" model is released. With a variable release schedule, a buyer won't know when the next model will come out, so is likely to purchase sooner rather than later.

Also, not everyone who owns an iPad is on the same upgrade cycle (or cares about having the absolute latest and greatest). For most people, simply having a device that works well and meets their needs is sufficient.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

It will be exactly the same as when you bought it. If your decision was based entirely on wanting to be the one with the newest iPad, you will be disappointed.

Slackula

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2003
I'm too lazy to read every entry here. Has someone already written the obligatory "I can't believe they'll be bringing out new iPads again and haven't even touched the Mac Pro in forever" post?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.