Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hyperbole much?

1. I did not say it looked grossly inferior. I said that the iPad 4 showed more detail in the wall textures. If it shows more detail in wall textures, it will show more details in textures used throughout, like water for example.

2. I did make out that the current crop of games are light years ahead on the 4 vs the 3.

3. I never ran the previous generation down.

Now if you don't care about more detailed wall textures, that's fine. But more details make the game look better. But more to the point, if you have neither played the game on an iPad 4 or seen a comparison of the two, you are hardly qualified to say "The game looks identical. The only difference is loading times".

I've ran games side by side with a friends 4. I don't see these "wall textures", the games look identical and have the same effects (ones that matter, actual EFFECTS).

And you didn't mention your mythical wall textures first time round, you just made a sweeping statement.

So, kindly, do one.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And you didn't mention your mythical wall textures first time round, you just made a sweeping statement.

My first post remarking on anything performance related was:

"There was an article posted in another thread which compared the new Batman game on three different iPads. The iPad 4 had more details in its textures than the previous iPads."

Hardly a sweeping statement, nor does it run the ipad 3 down.

Azza123

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I just joined to point out your ignorance. Here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad-4-late-2012-review/5

Read and weep, bud.

Read it and weep? Have you clicked the comparison buttons to change the shots on that link? Seen it before, "bud" and if a crack in a wall becoming slightly less fuzzy (Dead Trigger, which I found hilarious by the way) or already obvious bricks becoming slightly sharper (and I mean slightly, with regard to Batman) then I won't be weeping ... at all. You're getting exited at a raise in GB scoring of 1000+ for what's in THOSE shots? Please, don't insult me or yourself.

The content of that link is nothing to weep at. That time will come, and it will, when games TRULY show what the A6X can do.

Azza123

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Read it and weep? Have you clicked the comparison buttons to change the shots on that link? Seen it before, "bud" and if a crack in a wall becoming slightly less fuzzy (Dead Trigger, which I found hilarious by the way) or already obvious bricks becoming slightly sharper (and I mean slightly, with regard to Batman) then I won't be weeping ... at all. You're getting exited at a raise in GB scoring of 1000+ for what's in THOSE shots? Please, don't insult me or yourself.

The content of that link is nothing to weep at. That time will come, and it will, when games TRULY show what the A6X can do.

The weeping was in regard to your complete arrogance to acknowledge that there is a difference. 'Mythical' wall textures. Hardly. It's proven. Look at the page, at NOVA. Also, if you had seen it before then why would you consistently claim that there is absolutely no difference in textures and that they look exactly the same on iPad 3 and iPad 4?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The weeping was in regard to your complete arrogance to acknowledge that there is a difference. 'Mythical' wall textures. Hardly. It's proven. Look at the page, at NOVA. Also, if you had seen it before then why would you consistently claim that there is absolutely no difference in textures and that they look exactly the same on iPad 3 and iPad 4?

Thanks. I've been hunting around for this demonstration but couldn't find it.

It's proof that the iPad 4 runs games at a higher quality than the 3.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Again though, look at the "differences" you mention. As I said, it's a slight and I mean SLIGHT difference, a tiny bit sharper and not this grossly different PS1 to PS2 step in quality (to use a major, noticable difference in gaming graphics) that some would have you believe. It's not a 1000+ GB points difference, yet the clamouring here is ridiculous.

Yes it is "proven", but you've ignored the fact it is minor and as I mentioned not worthy of the rabid drooling here by some and certainly not an indication of a major performance increase. That proof WILL come in games built with the 4th gen in mind, not the current crop which see a crack on a wall become slightly sharper or a window frame slightly crisper. I am more than aware the 4th gen is more powerful, but my argument is that turning it on and running the current crop of games before jizzing yourself at the "amaaaaaazing differences" is just self gratification and borderline ridiculous.

I'm eligable for a new iPad through my work in June, if I want one. So hopefully the 5th gen rumours are true for a March launch as it'll time things quite nicely. It should bring a true step in performance in that we could see the return of the new A processor come to the new iPad before the new iPhone (iPad 3 was the first new iPad to not get the newest A chip before the new iPhone, for example). A true Quad Core CPU/GPU A7 with a less power hungry IGZO display would go down a treat and actually be a worthy update from the 3, unlike the 4 (or 3.5 as I prefer to call it).

The thing is, why would Apple bring out the 5th gen so soon when the 4th gen hasn't even attempted to flex its muscles? Unless anyone thinks the shots on that link previous are proof of such flexed muscles. If so, more fool them.

Last edited:

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Again though, look at the "differences" you mention. As I said, it's a slight and I mean SLIGHT difference, a tiny bit sharper and not this grossly different PS1 to PS2 step in quality (to use a major, noticable difference in gaming graphics) that some would have you believe. It's not a 1000+ GB points difference, yet the clamouring here is ridiculous.

Yes it is "proven", but you've ignored the fact it is minor and as I mentioned not worthy of the rabid drooling here by some and certainly not an indication of a major performance increase. That proof WILL come in games built with the 4th gen in mind, not the current crop which see a crack on a wall become slightly sharper or a window frame slightly crisper. I am more than aware the 4th gen is more powerful, but my argument is that turning it on and running the current crop of games before jizzing yourself at the "amaaaaaazing differences" is just self gratification and borderline ridiculous.

I'm eligable for a new iPad through my work in June, if I want one. So hopefully the 5th gen rumours are true for a March launch as it'll time things quite nicely. It should bring a true step in performance in that we could see the return of the new A processor come to the new iPad before the new iPhone (iPad 3 was the first new iPad to not get the newest A chip before the new iPhone, for example). A true Quad Core CPU/GPU A7 with a less power hungry IGZO display would go down a treat and actually be a worthy update from the 3, unlike the 4 (or 3.5 as I prefer to call it).

The thing is, why would Apple bring out the 5th gen so soon when the 4th gen hasn't even attempted to flex its muscles? Unless anyone thinks the shots on that link previous are proof of such flexed muscles. If so, more fool them.

those minor differences will become larger as time goes....if someone is in the market to buy a new ipad now, in my opinion it would be crazy to even consider a 3 just to save $100..

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
those minor differences will become larger as time goes....if someone is in the market to buy a new ipad now, in my opinion it would be crazy to even consider a 3 just to save $100..

Well they don't sell them anymore anyway... unless you meant used ones.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I love these self justification threads.

There's as many YouTube videos showing that Batman and NFS look identical on the 3 and 4. For now the 4 boasts frame rate improvements (albeit slight) over the 3, but unless an app has been specifically enhanced for the 4 you're not going to launch an existing game on it and see radicle differences over the 3.

NFS for example got a performance upstate recently which enhanced the frame rate on the iPad 3. Graphically, both devices have the same effects; reflections, wet road, tail lights, lighting, dynamic lighting, resolution, etc.

Soon the 4 will display more oomph than the 3, but not yet. Interestingly if you watch the Real Racing 3 promo video with the bloke Rob from FireMonkeys he admits the footage shown is from the iPad 3. So I'm not worried about that game on my device, but I think the delay in launch is specifically to tune to the game on the iPad 4, and we will see one hell of a game.

There's a whole lot more you or anyone can 'do' on their ipad than play games. Noticable improvements in performance with apps that have to do with photo or video manipulation. RSS reader population (Pulse and Early Edition for me), Dropbox loading and sync'ing, the iWork suite--just opening and editing existing documents is very noticable. Large PDF rendering and reading...all of my music creation and production apps show some to significant improvements in latency and response as well as finalizing projects or exporting to other apps.

I play a couple of games and like others, I think visual improvements will be more evident with time. However, if you look in many of the other actions and applications you can utilize on an ipad, performance of the 4 vs. 3 become more obvious in a lot of situations. Ours are mainly used for business work, reading, news (RSS), browsing and email. Games are tertiary.

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.