Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Thegolem
macrumors regular

How safe are files on icloud?

For e. g does anyone not back up files in case something happens to Files on icloud? I've been doing that but now I've got cold feet about it and downloaded my files on to a laptop and made backups on to memory sticks.
Thegolem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegolem View Post
For e. g does anyone not back up files in case something happens to Files on icloud? I've been doing that but now I've got cold feet about it and downloaded my files on to a laptop and made backups on to memory sticks.
I haven't read anything about how Apple keeps data backed up, but I think most hosts do keep things backed up pretty well. There probably is something in the terms of service stating that Apple is not responsible if your Data is lost. That said, I don't think it should be a problem at all.
MisterKeeks is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Am in the camp of, Trust Myself and full stop.

Depends how critical is your data.

I personally use the cloud for fast synching between devices and not really for back up, because, lets face it, unless you have a fiber connection, your Internet speed is not that great, and when you need to restore, you are usually in a hurry and do you want to wait hours to restore your stuff versus maybe 1/2 hour if they have stored locally?

The other question I have is, does Apple always encrypt your data? If not, I ain't NEVER placing my contacts through the cloud, nor anything that I consider private.

These days and age, it's all about selling your data. That's what Googles does, that's what Facebook does, you don't get nothing for free, and that's my $0.02.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:40 AM   #4
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Apple have a support Article covering iCloud security and privacy that you might find useful.

I have used iCloud since it launched (and .Mac and MobileMe its predecessors) and not had a problem with security. The main risk is probably your user ID and Password being compromised, so make sure you have secure unique password.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Thegolem
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Craner View Post
Apple have a support Article covering iCloud security and privacy that you might find useful.

I have used iCloud since it launched (and .Mac and MobileMe its predecessors) and not had a problem with security. The main risk is probably your user ID and Password being compromised, so make sure you have secure unique password.
I'm not bothered about security. I just don't want to lose pages & numbers docs
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #6
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Sorry I was responding to Mrbobb's question on security.

I have never lost any documents by storing them on iCloud or iDisk, which was a dropbox like service that existed before iCloud.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:07 AM   #7
Accord3
macrumors member

Icloud security and privacy
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4865

Icloud back up
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2584
Accord3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:29 AM   #8
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If you do complete Time Machine backups regularly then you're fine.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Thegolem
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
If you do complete Time Machine backups regularly then you're fine.
I've only got idevices.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:38 PM   #10
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I've only got idevices.
Then I wouldn't live there solely.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Peace
macrumors P6

I don't trust any cloud service. Everything is stored locally and backed up to external devices.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
I wouldn't keep my only copy of a file in the cloud no matter how good the service is. What if you accidentally deleted the file? What if you made a change to it by accident?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:51 AM   #13
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Being an investor in the Data storage industry - with a current long position in Fusion-IO (they do solid-state server storage, and much better than anyone else in the industry. Led by Steve WOZNIAK, they have a unique position, and with Apple and Facebook being their biggest customers --- have real growth ahead of them.)

Anyway - Apple has 3-4 simultaneous backups of your data, spread in 3-4 different physical data centers. I feel safer using iCloud than any other cloud service, even Google's. And I'm not saying that as an investor/fanboy, only an educated consumer. Also, all your data is kept on your local device(S) using Pages/Numbers/Keynote/Notes/Reminders/Photo Stream, so you'd have to loose all your devices, and Apple would have to have simultaneous catastrophic failure at all of their data centers. I think at that point we should be more worried about the impending end of the world --- those data centers are a rock, and aren't going anywhere soon.
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Thegolem
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Also, all your data is kept on your local device(S) using Pages/Numbers/Keynote/Notes/Reminders/Photo Stream, so you'd have to loose all your devices, and Apple would have to have simultaneous catastrophic failure at all of their data centers. I think at that point we should be more worried about the impending end of the world --- those data centers are a rock, and aren't going anywhere soon.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services