Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
I want to upgrade the RAM in this pig to at least somewhat future proof it. I'd like to get it up to 8GB but I was looking into buying THIS. But as it turns out it won't work with a Mac for some reason? Because it doesn't say "Apple" or "Mac"? What's the difference between the Mac RAM and laptop RAM that makes it incompatible?

Just curious because that 8GB on Amazon is a great deal...

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Funny the reviews from Amazon.com say that memory works fine in a 2011 iMac.

Wow. I showed that link to a person on Apple support chat and "Dave" said it wouldn't work...should've read the reviews. Someone shoot me, please. I apologize for this thread.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The difference between "mac" ram and other ram is the sticker on it.

It is sold as certified for mac by vendors who are milking the fear/reputation that PPC macs had for needing different RAM to PCs.

Nowadays, Macs ARE PCs as far as architecture goes.

I just installed 16GB of non-Mac strontium/hynix DDR3 1600 in my Macbook Pro and it is FINE.

Just make sure you buy the appropriate spec (DDRx, proper speed, etc) and you'll be fine.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
204 Pin vs 240 Pin

I want to upgrade the RAM in this pig to at least somewhat future proof it. I'd like to get it up to 8GB but I was looking into buying THIS. But as it turns out it won't work with a Mac for some reason? Because it doesn't say "Apple" or "Mac"? What's the difference between the Mac RAM and laptop RAM that makes it incompatible?

Just curious because that 8GB on Amazon is a great deal...

** I clicked on your LINK.. I am pretty sure you DO need 204 Pin and THAT one is 240 Pin, so YES, it Will Not Work!! :confused: :apple:

Since I see you are in Canada, I have used NewEgg.ca and Mushkin RAM (USA made and great support and reviews) in my last 2x MBPs as well as just 2 days ago I put 4x 8GB into my friend's 2011 iMac.. Very Snappy Now!!

Pretty sure ALL of these will fit, and you can 'filter results' at the LH Column by GB-MFG etc.. Pretty sure they are very competitive and have been great to me over the years.. Lots of Options, Name Brands likely better support and not much more $$ for sure!!

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
** I clicked on your LINK.. I am pretty sure you DO need 204 Pin and THAT one is 240 Pin, so YES, it Will Not Work!! :confused: :apple:

Since I see you are in Canada, I have used NewEgg.ca and Mushkin RAM (USA made and great support and reviews) in my last 2x MBPs as well as just 2 days ago I put 4x 8GB into my friend's 2011 iMac.. Very Snappy Now!!

Pretty sure ALL of these will fit, and you can 'filter results' at the LH Column by GB-MFG etc.. Pretty sure they are very competitive and have been great to me over the years.. Lots of Options, Name Brands likely better support and not much more $$ for sure!!

What, are kidding me?

From a review on Amazon: "Purchased this to upgrade the memory in my 2011 27" iMac and it is working flawlessly."

Do 27" and 21" differ? ****, I bought this RAM...

Edit: I checked out a link on Apple's site about upgrading RAM, it says the the 27" model requires the 204 pin RAM as well. So either he's a liar, or 204 pin will work...as well as 240? Idk.

Edit2: Another review on Amazon: "This worked like a charm for a new (2011) iMac 21.5" I purchased for my wife."

Edit3: It's a SODIMM (laptop) chip rather than DIMM (desktop), so it should work. (Hoping)

Crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It is sold as certified for mac by vendors who are milking the fear/reputation that PPC macs had for needing different RAM to PCs.
Just make sure you buy the appropriate spec (DDRx, proper speed, etc) and you'll be fine.

Maybe try a simple Google search before running your mouth.

There are plenty of examples of people matching RAM specs exactly and still running into problems. I've encountered this myself on a couple of Macs - they can be fussy about RAM.

This isn't limited to Macs either, other brand name laptops can also have this issue...

If the manufacturer certifies the RAM to work with a given system it usually means they have actually tested it in that system.

Given that the "certified" I got was within a dollar or two of the price of the standard RAM by the same manufacturer, exactly what were they "milking"?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Maybe try a simple Google search before running your mouth.

There are plenty of examples of people matching RAM specs exactly and still running into problems. I've encountered this myself on a couple of Macs - they can be fussy about RAM.

If the RAM spec "matches exactly" and doesn't work - you have faulty ram or faulty installation.

I've been doing this PC industry stuff for 18 years now - long enough to know that the majority of people posting on google are muppets :)

Last edited:

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
If the RAM spec "matches exactly" and doesn't work - you have faulty ram or faulty installation.

I've been doing this PC industry stuff for 18 years now - long enough to know that the majority of people posting on google are muppets :)

Back to the question at hand please.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

All I'm saying is this:

1. I too thought it was rubbish, until I encountered the problem first hand.
2. Regardless of being reseated, the RAM caused unpredictable behaviour when running in the Mac (random beach balling etc).
3. The same RAM installed into a Windows laptop worked perfectly and did not cause any problems.
4. There are many examples of this online.

When building things to a specification, there will be variation when coming off a production line and different computers have different levels of tolerance for these variations. I tend to think it's got to do with the required voltage for the RAM.

Also, you'll just have to believe me when I tell you i'm far from a novice user.

----------

You've bumped your thread twice within 4 hours even though it's getting replies. This is inappropriate and if you continue with this you might find that a mod takes action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.