Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Either way, I'm taking this phone back right about now. I literally just got it and this is what I get?

Come on

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
It really doesn't matter how careful you are. Anything can happen at any moment. I was sitting down comfortably at the bookstore and somehow it just slipped out of my hands really forcefully and it careened under the upside of the table by my headphones. I was trying to save it from hitting the ground.

This is the first iPhone I ever officially purchased, but because it is just so light, it's way eas easier to drop,

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It really doesn't matter how careful you are. Anything can happen at any moment. I was sitting down comfortably at the bookstore and somehow it just slipped out of my hands really forcefully and it careened under the upside of the table by my headphones. I was trying to save it from hitting the ground.

How bad is it?

So how do you expect to take it back if you caused accidental damage?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
It's within 14 days. The clerk offered me buyer protection, but I actively turned it down twice. Then she said I could bring it back if I ever needed it as long as the condition was okay.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It's within 14 days. The clerk offered me buyer protection, but I actively turned it down twice. Then she said I could bring it back if I ever needed it as long as the condition was okay.

But the condition is not ok. You've caused damage to the phone. The 14 day return is only good if the phone is in like new condition. But it's seriously not that bad. Does the sleep button still work? If so, keep it, if not, you may end up paying for a replacement if you want it.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I'm going to return it first thing tomorrow. I can already see... this phone is too light it's prone to drop, I just dropped it again. That's 5 times in one day.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I'm going to return it first thing tomorrow. I can already see... this phone is too light it's prone to drop, I just dropped it again. That's 5 times in one day.

Return the phone. BUt do not blame Apple for your carelessness. You dropped the phone. Accept the responsibility of your own actions.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Now typing this from an Android phone I'm starting to appreciate a big hard phone, yes it might be made of plastic, but at least it's sturdy. And isn't as awkward or flimsy.

And this swipe to type is convenient as well

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
Bonskovy

You dropped your phone 5 times today ....

You have some serious issues and should probably go back to Nextel.

Also you sound like android troll

Your saying the iPhone feels flimsy, your a troll.... Go home !!!!

Reactions: Sunny1990

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm so confused by bonskovsky . He's pissed at the iPhone, get's an Android, but yet goes back to the thread to change his carrier logo because he got the right SIM and carrier now? I don't know what he's doing. This guy can't be for real.

Disregard. Apparently he's just borrowing that phone.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I had a hard time believing that iPhone 5's scratch easily. I thought people were just being too judgmental. But it happened to me. The awkward shape of the new iPhone makes it weird to hold. It keeps falling out of my hand.

Just typing feels like trying to spin a plate with a stick. The keyboard is all the way down here and the screen is all the way up there.

bgr-iphone-5-z-1.jpg

Holding it in the manner this guy is holding it is like a balancing act, you will drop it.

I didn't think the iPhone 5 was easily scratched, but it really is. Which is odd because for such an expensive phone, for a build quality that is so "Great", it seems cheaper than a regular Android phone.

It might be plastic, but at least it feels durable. Every time I cross the street, I crap my pants because I know that the first drop of this iPhone 5 on cement will be its last.

I just know it.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Unfortunetly when I had a GS3, the plastic back scratched very easily and it was all scratched up, and the screen was lightly scratched as well. I had a case on my GS3 and i have a case on my iphone 5 and the back is still pristine and so is the screen

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I had a hard time believing that iPhone 5's scratch easily. I thought people were just being too judgmental. But it happened to me. The awkward shape of the new iPhone makes it weird to hold. It keeps falling out of my hand.

Just typing feels like trying to spin a plate with a stick. The keyboard is all the way down here and the screen is all the way up there.

Holding it in the manner this guy is holding it is like a balancing act, you will drop it.

I didn't think the iPhone 5 was easily scratched, but it really is. Which is odd because for such an expensive phone, for a build quality that is so "Great", it seems cheaper than a regular Android phone.

It might be plastic, but at least it feels durable. Every time I cross the street, I crap my pants because I know that the first drop of this iPhone 5 on cement will be its last.

I just know it.

That's not even a normal way to hold the phone though in every day use. Maybe if you are showing off a picture to someone yes. The shape is the same as the previous iPhones. Just thinner. The keyboard position hasn't changed, and you have about 1/4 of inch further for your thumb to travel to the top. It's not really that much.

It sounds like the iPhone just isn't making you happy if you have this many complaints about it. It sounds like you are already more happy experimenting with your friends Android. Perhaps you should take the clue.

The iPhone doesn't really scratch that easy. You dropped the phone in a fairly forceful manner from what it sounds like. What did you expect to happen? Have you seen the drop tests comparing the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3? The iPhone is more durable than you think, but for someone who is going to be dropping it 5 times a day, it's going to get damaged. Cases will be your best friend with whatever phone you decide on.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

This is the first iPhone I ever officially purchased, but because it is just so light, it's way eas easier to drop,

I will agree that even if you are careful there is a chance you could still have an accident. But the idea that it doesn't matter how careful you are is ridiculous. I have always been very careful with all of my iDevices and have had a couple of minor drops and scratches that most probably wouldn't even notice. Many of my friends on the other hand toss their devices around without a care and they look like crap. Like they were using them for hockey pucks.

By the way, I have never had a single scratch on the screen of any device.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
So how can I replace the iPhone? I know carriers have a return policy. It's one little scratch, but what do I have to say to make sure it gets replaced? It's just that looking at it annoys me. The metal band around this isn't strong at all.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I tried telling them that the iPhone wouldn't sync to iTunes, but they told me to bring in my computer.

(Meh). So I'm going to try to take it to another Cricket and get the exchange.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I hope Apple denies the OP's return because of the damage.

Seriously. It is a phone, a tool. If you wanted it in mint condition you should have left it in the box and only brought it out in padded room with gloves on to show your equally neurotic buddies.

Keep blaming Apple for your neuroses, I think it's working!

Agreed. It is a phone that is meant to be used, therefore it will eventually get scratches on it.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I tried telling them that the iPhone wouldn't sync to iTunes, but they told me to bring in my computer.

(Meh). So I'm going to try to take it to another Cricket and get the exchange.

Nothing like lying. Your mother should be so proud of you.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Nothing like lying. Your mother should be so proud of you.

I'd never lie, that's not realistic. Actually, every time I try to sync my iPhone, somebody else's email address shows up in the login popup for iCloud and then the phone says, "Could not successfully set up phone."

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have a week old iPhone 5 in black. I have it naked with no case or screen protector and it has a scratch on the top right of the screen. In the last 2 phone I've had "galaxy s3 and galaxy note 2" I had them naked and not a single scratch in 2yrs of use. I'm very very careful with my phones and have a dedicated pocket that I only put the phone in. How the hell could this have happened?? Do Apple use inferior scratch resistant coating??

I had an iPhone 4s since December of 2011 till Black Friday 2012. It was nekkid 99% of its life. I babied that phone and it rewarded me with a flawless experience. Loved that damn phone until I dropped it in a parking lot after having phones since 1997 and not breaking/dropping one.

iPhone 5? 2 weeks after use I get a scratch on the screen. A month later to now? I have scratches all over it, the back has a huge piece of paint falling off and the metal rim on the outside is flaking. Phone works great though. LTE is awesome and battery life is INSANE (can go 4 days on a charge with 10+ hours of usage).

At first I was in complete disbelief, a little upset. But now I'm ok with it. It is what it is. I got AppleCare+ so if anything goes wrong I should be ok. The scratch on the screen is off to the side and I rarely notice it. Life goes on.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I'd never lie, that's not realistic. Actually, every time I try to sync my iPhone, somebody else's email address shows up in the login popup for iCloud and then the phone says, "Could not successfully set up phone."

My apologies then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.