Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:55 PM   #51
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
But you know it's going to have most of the same parts as any of the older models in order to keep the price down. I don't see the point.
But they will still be modern parts - So they'll cost less to make
mrsir2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:57 PM   #52
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

This is pointless, Ok lets assume Apple comes out with a Cheaper iPhone then what? What are you going to do with the iPhone 5S/6 what will be the New Innovative feature and selling point ?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:59 PM   #53
Spicedham
macrumors member

A cheap low quality version will never happen. If it does it will hurt the company image. They didn't make cheap netbooks and their 7" tablet is of higher quality than other 7" tablets. Its not apple to make cheap low quality products.
Spicedham is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:59 PM   #54
rcjh22
macrumors member

I think this will be for T-Mobile customers or people who don't want to start a new contract.

T-Mobile is starting their new plans where you buy your own phone and nobody wants to shell out $700 for a new phone.
rcjh22 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:59 PM   #55
qpdbqp
macrumors newbie

I'm goin' with that this Phone sorta does exist, but merely a project to help Apple pin down some of those security leaks.
qpdbqp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:00 PM   #56
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
This is pointless, Ok lets assume Apple comes out with a Cheaper iPhone then what? What are you going to do with the iPhone 5S/6 what will be the New Innovative feature and selling point ?
Umm... How does bringing out a budget iPhone impact the 5S/6? It's not like it's going to outshine it or anything. The evolution of the standard iPhone will continue as normal.
mrsir2009 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:01 PM   #57
JAT
macrumors 603

That's good to know. Apple may or may not make a phone made partly out of plastic and possibly metal sometime in the future.

Glad I tuned in tonight.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 PM   #58
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

And the 3G/3GS felt cheap and plasticky. No thanks.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 PM   #59
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

Ugh, just stop it. 85% of the computer market share has been out of the apple price range for decades, and we've yet to see a $500 Mac. Because apple doesn't make bad products for people who can't afford good stuff. That's for dell and whoever else
bassfingers is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 PM   #60
Super20
macrumors regular

Alright, I haven't read all of the posts (long day and school and was just scanning the front page news), but this is just absolutely stupid. There is no way Apple would stoop so low to release a product that was "cheap." They don't need to offer an "entry-level" device because people will pay a premium no matter what.
Super20 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:03 PM   #61
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman4 View Post
If Apple resorts to this,then its truly a sign that Apples innovation and ingenuity are finished. Theres no way Apple can obtain a good profit margin on these Low end iPhones . Besides the country where Apple is going to sell these are more on the poorer side and the people are not purchasing Macs etc.
Umm, what?
How does a plastic or hybrid design mean that their innovation or ingenuity is finished? It doesn't. Also, what do you mean they can't make a good profit margin? Pretty sure the mainstream iPhones that have been coming out for the past couple of years costed $200 or so to make. They shouldn't have a problem figuring it out. Plus, even if the profit margins aren't as big as their flagship iPhone... it's not like they would've sold anything in the first place. And the last sentence you wrote I don't understand it.
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:09 PM   #62
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfingers View Post
we've yet to see a $500 Mac
The original Mac Mini begs to differ
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 PM   #63
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
I don't like it, does BMW use cheaper material to make cars more affordable to people? No they make top cars.

quality>>>quantity
Nope. More quantity = more money. If they could sell the regular iPhone in addition to a cheaper iPhone that will bring in MORE users that don't already have an iPhone. You can't tell me that if you're running Apple you wouldn't make a cheaper iPhone that would bring in more profit just because it's not 'top quality?' Comon now...

In the end it's all about profit. To Apple we're all just $ signs.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:15 PM   #64
SPEEDwithJJ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
And the 3G/3GS felt cheap and plasticky. No thanks.
But Apple still sold quite a few of those.....
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:16 PM   #65
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjh22 View Post
I think this will be for T-Mobile customers or people who don't want to start a new contract.

T-Mobile is starting their new plans where you buy your own phone and nobody wants to shell out $700 for a new phone.
I'd be quite fine with a low end iPhone to use with a T-Mobile plan, heck I had considered buying a used 4 to use with them.
InuNacho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:19 PM   #66
jjatie
macrumors newbie

Case for a 'cheap' iPhone

While there is already a $0 (on contract) iPhone, there is room for Apple to introduce another.

When the next generation iPhone comes out (5S?), there will be only one device left with a) a 30-pin dock connector and b) a 3.5" screen. A retooling of an iPhone 5 with a cheaper case and the current 4S internals might make sense to hasten Lightning and 4" screens (for devs) ubiquity.

This would of course replace the 4S in the next revision of the iPhone line.
jjatie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:20 PM   #67
Chihawk725
macrumors member

Steve Jobs truly is dead

If apple starts creating cheaper lower quality products merely to compete with less innovative companies then they will have fundamentally turned their back on the core model that Steve Jobs put in place to make them so successful. The people who buy those cheap models are the exact people that turn companies into commonplace entities with no desire or air of mystery too them. You do not see Bentley making a $20K coupe or True Religion making $15 jeans and you never will because then those brands like apple would lose their key ingredients, quality and exclusivity.
Chihawk725 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:21 PM   #68
Jensend
macrumors member

Maybe something in the $399-499 range without contract?
$650 may be a tough sell for prepaid (even though the overall costs are much lower than contract plans)
Jensend is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:21 PM   #69
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben123456 View Post

I can see the market. Alot of people I know would love to own a iPhone but can't due to cost.
A lot of people I know would love to own a Macbook Air but can't due to cost.

Where does Apple draw the line? Should every Apple product have a low-cost alternative?

The danger is... the iPhone Mini becomes attractive enough for the masses...

Then who would spend the full $650 for an iPhone ever again?

There's already talk of the iPad Mini taking sales away from the $499 iPad... would Apple risk that with their cash-cow iPhone?
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:23 PM   #70
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
This isn't an older model.

Yep. A model with 2 year old processors and pixelated screen sold as "brand new".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
They already do, don't they?
$1000 is not cheap by any means, especially by the fact that you can get a decent PC for $500.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:24 PM   #71
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicedham View Post
A cheap low quality version will never happen. If it does it will hurt the company image. They didn't make cheap netbooks and their 7" tablet is of higher quality than other 7" tablets. Its not apple to make cheap low quality products.
Agreed. i think its a bad look for them.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:24 PM   #72
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihawk725 View Post
If apple starts creating cheaper lower quality products merely to compete with less innovative companies then they will have fundamentally turned their back on the core model that Steve Jobs put in place to make them so successful. The people who buy those cheap models are the exact people that turn companies into commonplace entities with no desire or air of mystery too them. You do not see Bentley making a $20K coupe or True Religion making $15 jeans and you never will because then those brands like apple would lose their key ingredients, quality and exclusivity.
Those companies arent the most valuable in the world. Apple caters to wall street now.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:25 PM   #73
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super20 View Post
Alright, I haven't read all of the posts (long day and school and was just scanning the front page news), but this is just absolutely stupid. There is no way Apple would stoop so low to release a product that was "cheap." They don't need to offer an "entry-level" device because people will pay a premium no matter what.
What about the entry level Macs?
mrsir2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:26 PM   #74
Sweetchilli
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockondevil View Post
To me at least it doesn't really feel Apple to provide a cheap alternative.
Apple knows its market and makes products for that.

Are we going to see cheaper versions of their MacBooks and iMacs?

What they should be doing is discounting the previous generation a bit more than they do.
we did didnt we ? the plastic Macbooks. Its a similar scenario so its plausible to me. and it was in the jobs era too.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....g09_mbreds.jpg
Sweetchilli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:32 PM   #75
CoryS
macrumors newbie

News!!!

New low-cost iPhone to use cardboard, styrofoam and a special type of fungi to penetrate the market of junk phones. This is expected to appeal heavily to hobos and politicians. It's due late 1987. Here's a picture of a part that leaked from a FauxConn factory:

CoryS is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion