Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:41 AM   #1
tbluhp
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Time machine issues please help me out.

I been having TM issues.

1) Unable to do any time machine restores from system recovery or even when I put the mac os disk in would not let me restore my system. System recovery says's that their are no system backups to restore. HMMM so what I did was reformat my TM loosing everything from July 2012 to now. Still same problem so next I reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything and did a TM backup once more (their are nothing in the excluded list under TM options.). Still no luck.

2) Migrate Assistance shows up the TM disk but once I enter my password it (MA) will not continue

Please see the pictures it's hard for me to explain as I am frustrated been ongoing problems and I do meet all the requirements. Latest OS and everything.

I am though able to view my TM when I click on enter TM on the right hand menu bar. What did I do wrong do I need to re-format to mac or the tm again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	890.0 KB
ID:	390386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002_2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	936.2 KB
ID:	390387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003_2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	810.9 KB
ID:	390388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004_2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	890.7 KB
ID:	390389   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005_2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	390390  
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:42 AM   #2
tbluhp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
also one other picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006_2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	897.7 KB
ID:	390391  
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:43 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
You went the complete wrong way with this and could have prevented Data loss if you asked before you decided to wipe the External TimeMachine.

It seems to me you have problems inside your current OS Install and not the TM backup.
You should have started up in recovery, then clean install and restore from the TM backup, it would have worked, now you lost all.
The problem is in the OS.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4
tbluhp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
You went the complete wrong way with this and could have prevented Data loss if you asked before you decided to wipe the External TimeMachine.

It seems to me you have problems inside your current OS Install and not the TM backup.
You should have started up in recovery, then clean install and restore from the TM backup, it would have worked, now you lost all.
The problem is in the OS.
Yes I did a clean instal and still unable to get anything working.
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbluhp View Post
Yes I did a clean instal and still unable to get anything working.
How is the external disk formatted, for instance it won't work on anything else than HFS+ , so not NTFS or FAT or exFAT.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6
tbluhp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
How is the external disk formatted, for instance it won't work on anything else than HFS+ , so not NTFS or FAT or exFAT.
Are you talking about my hard drive or the apple time machine? I can't change the format of time machine but my hard drive is formated to

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : 452.54 GB (452,536,274,944 Bytes)

I did do disk repair and disk permissions and even used drive genius app.

Their is only one patron on my hard drive and no boot camp.


SATA Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:16 AM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbluhp View Post
Are you talking about my hard drive or the apple time machine? I can't change the format of time machine but my hard drive is formated to

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : 452.54 GB (452,536,274,944 Bytes)

I did do disk repair and disk permissions and even used drive genius app.

Their is only one patron on my hard drive and no boot camp.


SATA Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table
BOLD???
Can't change the format of Time Machine???

You have an external HD to backup to (TimeMachine) yes? How is this external HD formatted?
Not your internal.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Fishrrman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Here is but one more example of someone who relied on Time Machine for "simple, easy backup", and -- in a moment of need -- discovers that it ain't so simple…

To the original poster:
If you had been using CarbonCopyCloner instead of TM, you wouldn't be having these problems. Your backup would be "right there" for you to access, mountable in POFF (plain ol' finder format), and bootable as well (if it was a System backup).

But… live and learn (I did).

I suggest you download CCC and take just a few minutes to learn how to use it.

If you do, you WON'T be having the problems you're having now….
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9
tbluhp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
well it has worked for me in the past no matter what gateway device i used (cox cable isp) or modem. It dosent even mtter what mac os i used
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:53 PM   #10
tbluhp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
BOLD???
Can't change the format of Time Machine???

no i was talking about time capsual my other hard drives are formated in hfs+

You have an external HD to backup to (TimeMachine) yes? How is this external HD formatted?
Not your internal.

no i was talking about time capsual my other hard drives are formated in hfs+

You have an external HD to backup to (TimeMachine) yes? How is this external HD formatted?
Not your internal.[/QUOTE]
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbluhp View Post
no i was talking about time capsual my other hard drives are formated in hfs+

You have an external HD to backup to (TimeMachine) yes? How is this external HD formatted?
Not your internal.
Ah, that's different, it's a TimeCapsule, not a TimaMachine, yes that one is Mac formatted.
You might have issues with the TimeCapsule, how old is it, is there still AppleCare or warranty on it, if so you might be able to get it fixed.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:40 AM   #12
tbluhp
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Ah, that's different, it's a TimeCapsule, not a TimaMachine, yes that one is Mac formatted.
You might have issues with the TimeCapsule, how old is it, is there still AppleCare or warranty on it, if so you might be able to get it fixed.
Yes I am going to an apple store tomrrow. Also I did try using an external hard drive (USB 2.0) still same problem so now i think it's the internal hard drive.
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help me with Time Machine issues! Intelligent OS X Mavericks (10.9) 27 May 7, 2014 04:27 PM
Time Machine Issues captsanner295 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 6 Mar 30, 2014 11:15 PM
Time Machine Issues! Please Help! jasonrhcp OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 9 Feb 12, 2013 01:39 PM
Time Machine is not as safe as they say. Is it me or anyone else have issues with it? Silvina3a Mac Applications and Mac App Store 15 Aug 22, 2012 05:10 PM
Time Machine 'issues' tech4all Mac Basics and Help 0 Jun 1, 2012 04:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC