Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'd never lie, that's not realistic. Actually, every time I try to sync my iPhone, somebody else's email address shows up in the login popup for iCloud and then the phone says, "Could not successfully set up phone."

That's still an error on iTunes and iCloud's part. Not the phone. So you'd still be lying about having a problem with the phone.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Well I don't need a reason really to get an exchange on a new phone, I just want a new one.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You want a new one because you damaged your first one. And now you're trying to find excuses to return and or exchange it (I can't tell because you change your wording so much). Man up and realize you messed up by dropping your phone.

I'm seriously starting to question the amount of common sense you have.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
You want a new one because you damaged your first one. And now you're trying to find excuses to return and or exchange it (I can't tell because you change your wording so much). Man up and realize you messed up by dropping your phone.

I'm seriously starting to question the amount of common sense you have.

A lot apparently, I got a case and the added weight of the case makes it feel like the same weight as the previous iPhone. The exact same weight! I don't know why I did not think of this before.

Now I'm glad I scratched it, definitely keeping this iPhone!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have said this in every thread I have seen... if you keep your phone in your pants, you are bound to get small scratches eventually. Dirt, dust, grit, etc. inevitably gets into our pockets and rubs the screen, causing scratches. If you have gone a year, or two, or three, without a scratch, the perfect storm simply hasn't happened.

At the risk of throwing a bad analogy, plenty of men have sex A LOT without condoms. A lot of them have never contracted an STD or gotten a girl pregnant either. That doesn't mean it won't happen the next time.

Reactions: Sunny1990

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I finally stopped being hard headed and put a case on my iPhone, and now it looks better than ever.

hty72h.jpg

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I finally stopped being hard headed and put a case on my iPhone, and now it looks better than ever.

looks sweet. Can't go wrong with a clear case. Still get to see all of the phone that way. I used to have one on my 4 for general everyday use and an otterbox for when I had military duty.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
My mom's black phone and mine after month. We're both pretty gentle with our phones, but the edges of the black are gradually peeling off. Invest in a case!

Attachments

• IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 114

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
My mom's black phone and mine after month. We're both pretty gentle with our phones, but the edges of the black are gradually peeling off. Invest in a case!

That peeling off can be seen on almost all of the black demo phones in the store. White looks much less susceptible to scratches.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I have a week old iPhone 5 in black. I have it naked with no case or screen protector and it has a scratch on the top right of the screen. In the last 2 phone I've had "galaxy s3 and galaxy note 2" I had them naked and not a single scratch in 2yrs of use. I'm very very careful with my phones and have a dedicated pocket that I only put the phone in. How the hell could this have happened?? Do Apple use inferior scratch resistant coating??

I've had her naked since the first day I had her and she's still gorgeous. Not a scratch on her. Her front and her back hehe.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Fair enough and I feel almost exactly the same way. It is such an amazing device, I want to ignore the scratches completely. But they shouldn't be there at all since it's been protected by a case pretty much the entire time I've owned it.

I had an iPhone 4s since December of 2011 till Black Friday 2012. It was nekkid 99% of its life. I babied that phone and it rewarded me with a flawless experience. Loved that damn phone until I dropped it in a parking lot after having phones since 1997 and not breaking/dropping one.

iPhone 5? 2 weeks after use I get a scratch on the screen. A month later to now? I have scratches all over it, the back has a huge piece of paint falling off and the metal rim on the outside is flaking. Phone works great though. LTE is awesome and battery life is INSANE (can go 4 days on a charge with 10+ hours of usage).

At first I was in complete disbelief, a little upset. But now I'm ok with it. It is what it is. I got AppleCare+ so if anything goes wrong I should be ok. The scratch on the screen is off to the side and I rarely notice it. Life goes on.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Pay the equivalent of $229 for a replacement when I've just spent £599 on it?? I don't think so. And there has been big outcries of how easy it is to scratch the backs of the iPhone 5 I'm going to return it under the 14 day return guarantee and just buy something else. Phones that cost this much should remain scratch free with light use. Cya

Actually the back is really hard to scratch. It's the edge the scratches easily. You probably should buy a plastic droid instead. It will probably suit you better.

----------

I'm going to return it first thing tomorrow. I can already see... this phone is too light it's prone to drop, I just dropped it again. That's 5 times in one day.

The phone is at fault because you drop it?? I haven't dropped mine since launch day but instead of turning down apple care like you did... I bought it just in case.

----------

Is that a reflection of your phone?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Now typing this from an Android phone I'm starting to appreciate a big hard phone, yes it might be made of plastic, but at least it's sturdy. And isn't as awkward or flimsy.

And this swipe to type is convenient as well

You're dropping it the wrong way.

And I may be stupid, but I'm going with a black bumper with the spigen glas.t.r, which includes a protective film for the back. God, this thing is small and light!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.