Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
way to go!

Thanks! I'm SOMEbody now! :p:)

just wait -- it's fun once the bonus points start piling on!

how's your machine working? When I was using my Pro for folding I also installed a temp monitor and a fan controller to manually spin my fans higher to bring the CPU temps down.

try SMC fan control and Temperature Monitor

but I don't use my Pro for folding anymore; I use the PC I built around the 2.8 4-core chip left over after the hexacore upgrade (you did that too, didn't you?)

Louis

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
just wait -- it's fun once the bonus points start piling on!

how's your machine working? When I was using my Pro for folding I also installed a temp monitor and a fan controller to manually spin my fans higher to bring the CPU temps down.

try SMC fan control and Temperature Monitor

but I don't use my Pro for folding anymore; I use the PC I built around the 2.8 4-core chip left over after the hexacore upgrade (you did that too, didn't you?)

Louis
I did put a new CPU in, but I sold my original CPU to offset the cost.

It's been stable and consistent. Average CPU use is 1180%, steady fans and temps. I have Fan Control in my System Settings, which are set to maximize fans rapidly when working, and minimize fans when idle.

I'm still editing video / motion graphics while it's working, and it seems fine with it, which is coo. :)

Booster 1 = 3208rpm
Exhaust = 2249rpm
Expansion slot = 1531rpm
Intake = 2239rpm
Power supply = 952rpm

CPU A Tdiode = 130ºF
CPU A Core, rel. to ProcHot = 94ºF
CPU A Heatsink = 112ºF
System ambient = 86ºF
Wall thermometer in office at eye level = 74ºF
Outside thermometer = 2ºF... (I could put it outside and see where fan speeds / temps go!)

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
looks like you've got temps well under control!

I didn't have the fans set that fast and had higher CPU temps as a result. Ultimately I got tired of the jerkiness in my regular work when the Pro was folding, and since I had that chip lying around...

the upgraded machine really is a pleasure to use!

2° F in Denver? wow, it's 54° F here in Toronto! A lot of us can't do folding in the summer because of the heat... as it is, the folding rig is in the basement...

Louis

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah you could put it outside! it hit 70 F today in north Alabama. i'm still folding, but got the windows open to cool things off a bit (it's overcast, so at least the sun isn't making it even hotter). but monday it'll be a high of 39 F, which is why a lot of people are sick around here.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Still trying to figure out all the settings.

For the most part, I leave it alone. I want to be able to shut my RAID box down, and to do that, I need to shut down the computer and reboot with the RAID box powered off. If I don't do it that way, I get an annoying beep. So, I decided to click "Finish" hoping that means when the WU is done, it won't start a new one. Clicking the button gives no visual indication, but I looked in the log and it has "finishing" indicated between the percents complete reports... which I think means it accepted the command.

Is Finish going to do what I think it will do, which is stop folding after the WU, and not restart until I click the Fold button?

I figure I can probably just shut down the computer, switch off my RAID, and restart... but I have like to do things neatly, and stopping/shutting down in the middle of a WU is one of those things that will make my brain tweak a tiny bit. :p

I hope someone here can relate to that.

Edit:
Hey, got my answer. Second WU finished, and it didn't start a new one. Coo. I can reboot and let her rip again!

More info:
The CPU A, Core Low Side (Vcore) was at 75A the whole time, then after the fold, dropped to 3A. Wow, there's some power being consumed, haha! My UPS has five power load indicators, and I'm surprised that it only goes from 1-2 bars (flickering between the two) to a solid two bars while folding. I figured the load would shoot up to three or four bars with all CPUs maxed, but maybe that's only when the GPU is also flying.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah setting to finish should do what you want. though do keep an eye on your activity monitor if you finish a WU, and then continue to work on the computer for awhile without restarting. i've seen it continue to use CPU resources after stopping, but maybe it's just me.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
yeah setting to finish should do what you want. though do keep an eye on your activity monitor if you finish a WU, and then continue to work on the computer for awhile without restarting. i've seen it continue to use CPU resources after stopping, but maybe it's just me.

I did happen to check, and they went down to nothing. I was surprised to see zero page outs and swap use as well. I think f@h v7 for OSX is almost perfect, and when GPU use is enabled, it will be even better!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I did happen to check, and they went down to nothing. I was surprised to see zero page outs and swap use as well. I think f@h v7 for OSX is almost perfect, and when GPU use is enabled, it will be even better!

well i'm glad it's working correctly for you. it did start using resources again well after i stopped folding, and quit the program. but maybe it was a one time thing

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I'm cooking with gas, now! I made the Top 20 Producers list! :D

I just shut down for an hour or so to give my Mac the full six month cleaning, and came back online to see my 10+ WU bonus kicked in! I'm kinda amped to see where my 24 hour points average is after a week of getting bonuses. My Estimated PPD is usually 30K+, and at one point it read 37,400 when the system was otherwise not doing anything, so I'm pretty happy with that!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm cooking with gas, now! I made the Top 20 Producers list! :D

I just shut down for an hour or so to give my Mac the full six month cleaning, and came back online to see my 10+ WU bonus kicked in! I'm kinda amped to see where my 24 hour points average is after a week of getting bonuses. My Estimated PPD is usually 30K+, and at one point it read 37,400 when the system was otherwise not doing anything, so I'm pretty happy with that!

Awesome! Keep it up! This can get addicting !

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Oh ok. It is factory built(store bought). I didn't see any settings in the BIOS to overclock it. Any suggestions?

what brand is it? you might not be able to overclock. if it's an alienware or asus, then you might be able to (a gaming machine). but if not, then you will just have to continue to fold at stock speeds.

still, we are glad you decided to fold and join our team!

oh, and do you have a passkey? looking at your stats here it looks like you don't have one. make sure you get a passkey and then you'll start getting bonus points!

LightningIceFox

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Mobius
what brand is it? you might not be able to overclock. if it's an alienware or asus, then you might be able to (a gaming machine). but if not, then you will just have to continue to fold at stock speeds.

still, we are glad you decided to fold and join our team!

oh, and do you have a passkey? looking at your stats here it looks like you don't have one. make sure you get a passkey and then you'll start getting bonus points!

HP (see signature)

I do have a passkey entered.

Edit: Looking at HP Support webpages it appears that the motherboard it uses does not support it.. that's what I get for not building my own.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
HP (see signature)

Edit: Looking at HP Support webpages it appears that the motherboard it uses does not support it.. that's what I get for not building my own.

ok cool. that's no problem that you can't overclock. are you using the version 7 client in windows?

you should definitely be getting more points if you have a passkey entered. have you completed 10 units with the passkey?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
HP (see signature)

Yep. HP/Dell doesn't allow overclocking in their BIOS, especially from all the ones I've had/seen/used. Sounds like you need to get a new Mobo :D ASUS Rampage Extreme III is what I use to have and was probably the best in the day.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Currently folding on the following:
5 * Intel i7 2600k
1 * Intel i7 3770k
2 * nVidia GTX460
1 * nVidia GTX560Ti

They're not all folding for MacRumors at the moment tho - after the 100 million point push, I've redirected some back to my other teams.

I'd been toying with the idea of a quad AMD for over a year - twoodcc you might have just pushed me over the edge!
My only reservation is the long awaited GPU QRB - if a few GTX660Ti can turn in 300k ppd, I'm not sure of the sense in a new server build, plus the SuperMicro systems I've been looking at are noisy as hell. However, there could well be savings in electricity for the AMD system - time to get the calculator out!

LightningIceFox

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Mobius
ok cool. that's no problem that you can't overclock. are you using the version 7 client in windows?

you should definitely be getting more points if you have a passkey entered. have you completed 10 units with the passkey?

It seems that some of it might be due to my cpu clock being lowered when I lock my computer. I didn't think about that ever occurring or what windows OS started making it do that (I assume for power savings).

With it locked, the smp job went from 4 hours eta to a 20 day eta... :rolleyes:

I am getting PPD around 9k with it at the moment. Does that sound about right or is that low?

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
It seems that some of it might be due to my cpu clock being lowered when I lock my computer. I didn't think about that ever occurring or what windows OS started making it do that (I assume for power savings).

I am getting PPD around 9k with it at the moment. Does that sound about right or is that low?

My system is a Win7 machine running a Xeon W3530 4-core CPU at stock speed and breaks down like this:

CPU = approx 7-10 K ppd
EVGA GTX 550 ti 900 MHz = 25 K ppd
EVGA GTX 660 ti 1065 MHz = 36 K ppd

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Currently folding on the following:
5 * Intel i7 2600k
1 * Intel i7 3770k
2 * nVidia GTX460
1 * nVidia GTX560Ti

They're not all folding for MacRumors at the moment tho - after the 100 million point push, I've redirected some back to my other teams.

I'd been toying with the idea of a quad AMD for over a year - twoodcc you might have just pushed me over the edge!
My only reservation is the long awaited GPU QRB - if a few GTX660Ti can turn in 300k ppd, I'm not sure of the sense in a new server build, plus the SuperMicro systems I've been looking at are noisy as hell. However, there could well be savings in electricity for the AMD system - time to get the calculator out!

that's quite a few systems there! :)

i say go for the AMD quad. i got mine used, and it's not that loud either (though it's got a ton of fans). and if i ever stop folding with it, i'll use it as my web server (and i sometimes run a ton of scripts on also)

i know what you mean about the GPU QRB. but like you said, GPUs use a lot of power and put out heat. but they are cheaper.

i think this AMD rig will be my last rig for a good while

9k for just the cpu sounds good. but it sounds low for cpu and gpu.

in windows, i would set it to never go to sleep. you can lock it, or set it to turn the display off, but not put the computer to sleep.

LightningIceFox

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Mobius
9k for just the cpu sounds good. but it sounds low for cpu and gpu.

in windows, i would set it to never go to sleep. you can lock it, or set it to turn the display off, but not put the computer to sleep.

It is not sleeping, by the way, just locked.

Current OS:Windows 8. Power Settings: High Performance.

I think I will be changing the motherboard and downgrading back to Windows 7 sometime soon since I am getting tired of trying to find things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.