Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Ok, so I got another Asus Z87-WS and the same CPU as Titan1 to replace the 980x machine. I now have Titan1 (4 Titan gpu's) and Titan2 (480, 660ti, Titan sc gpu's). No CPU folding on them, not worth it. As I was putting the new rig together I started doing other stuff and that turned into even more stuff and well I tried to re do my network, rearranged the computers, went through all of my computer parts boxes tossing a bunch of useless things, tried to get the win 7 key to work on the new rig; had to reinstall everything from scratch, I spent about 8 hours of folding downtime doing all of this... and it was hot in the basement.

All I really accomplished was to rearrange and clean things up a bit which I guess was worth it. Less cable clutter at least.

So here they are 1 on the left 2 on the right.

nice! yeah i think we all rearrange things, which usually equals being hot, throwing something away, cleaning out dust, and takes forever.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
nice! yeah i think we all rearrange things, which usually equals being hot, throwing something away, cleaning out dust, and takes forever.

it's all part of the fun, even if sometimes things don't work the way I expected and I end up putting things back to the way they were before :)

PS I can't begin to count the number of "used for 1 day" components I have lying around...

how about we all take a "snapshot" inventory of all the stuff we have in production on the day we pass 1 Billion points?

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Now the good news: what hardware I DON'T fold with ? Aircondition !! Looks tonight I can keep the window open. Ambient air cools enough ! :)

Now I'm sure you guys will suggest to compensate the reduced power bill and add a GPU :p

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
it's all part of the fun, even if sometimes things don't work the way I expected and I end up putting things back to the way they were before :)

PS I can't begin to count the number of "used for 1 day" components I have lying around...

how about we all take a "snapshot" inventory of all the stuff we have in production on the day we pass 1 Billion points?

And maybe the old stuff you still have that you used to fold on! I've had about 12 computers and 11 gpu's including what I have now. Most of those were dedicated folders! :D

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Well, I've finally dipped my toe into the GTX 780 / Titan pool and got a single 780 folding for another 120k ppd at stock clocks.

So, as it stands at the moment I'm running:

1 * GTX 780
3 * GTX 660Ti
1 * HD 7970
1 * HD 7870
3 * i7 2600k
1 * i7 3770k

I think I can squeeze another 2 780's in before I need to look at upgrading power supplies etc… So hopefully a cold winter and 200 Mi points by the end of the year!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
And maybe the old stuff you still have that you used to fold on! I've had about 12 computers and 11 gpu's including what I have now. Most of those were dedicated folders! :D

I only just realized what you said there -- 12 computers and 11 GPUs!!

that's dedication!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well, I've finally dipped my toe into the GTX 780 / Titan pool and got a single 780 folding for another 120k ppd at stock clocks.

So, as it stands at the moment I'm running:

1 * GTX 780
3 * GTX 660Ti
1 * HD 7970
1 * HD 7870
3 * i7 2600k
1 * i7 3770k

I think I can squeeze another 2 780's in before I need to look at upgrading power supplies etc… So hopefully a cold winter and 200 Mi points by the end of the year!

sweet! congrats! just curious, what kind of ppd are you getting with the 7870?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
sweet! congrats! just curious, what kind of ppd are you getting with the 7870?

Thanks. Currently sat at 52k ppd and normally in the 50-55k range. That's at stock clocks (1000 MHz I think)

Congratulation, a beauty of a card. I really like the look 'n feel; and it's performance.

Thanks, yeah the stock cooler is an impressive piece of work - makes other gpus look and feel cheap by comparison (well I suppose they are actually cheaper...)

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
thanks. that's pretty good. does it use 1 x 6-pin power connector?

No - I think most are 2*6 pin, but mine shares the same pcb design as a 7970 with both 6 and 8 pin connectors. I think it draws roughly 150 watts so definitely overkill!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
No - I think most are 2*6 pin, but mine shares the same pcb design as a 7970 with both 6 and 8 pin connectors. I think it draws roughly 150 watts so definitely overkill!

of my three 7970s, two are 8 + 8 pin and one is 8 + 6. they all run at the same stock speeds... go figure.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Getting 14.3k PPD with it, it does a good job of warming up my room, that thing runs hot, very hot. (Not that I'm complaining, winter's coming :p)

yes -- upgrading would net you way more points! (and hit you in the wallet, but would save on power -- there's only one problem; you'd have to buy two new cards to heat your place in the winter :D)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I don't let it run all the time though. Just when I'm not using it for things.

specs.png

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
yes -- upgrading would net you way more points! (and hit you in the wallet, but would save on power -- there's only one problem; you'd have to buy two new cards to heat your place in the winter :D)

It's not always folding 24/7 though, it's also my main rig that I do stuff on, including gaming, most of the time I leave it on overnight folding, so effectively it's doing half the PPD.

Upgrade would be nice, but it does what I want it to, I'll probably wait for Nvidia's 8xx/9xx series.

I also have enough spare parts lying around, including a GTX 650 Ti, to build another PC, maybe I'll just do that and let it fold 24/7.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
It's not always folding 24/7 though, it's also my main rig that I do stuff on, including gaming, most of the time I leave it on overnight folding, so effectively it's doing half the PPD.

Upgrade would be nice, but it does what I want it to, I'll probably wait for Nvidia's 8xx/9xx series.

I also have enough spare parts lying around, including a GTX 650 Ti, to build another PC, maybe I'll just do that and let it fold 24/7.

also, since the new Core17 GPU optimized WUs have the quick return bonus (QRB) attached to them it's best to let the WU finish and upload and get points before shutting down the client and your computer for the day or using your computer for your regular life...

can you stick your 650 Ti in your rig to run alongside your 670? that'd get you very good points with both running! Core17 is great on Kepler!

Louis

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Make sure to set on GPU slot the client-type=advanced and get a passkey. That should get you some nice points in your 670GTX

I do have a passkey, not sure what this client-type=advanced is or where it should go.

I may be getting a Titan in the next few months... I do 3d rendering and have been contemplating one. It'll probably fold nice too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.