Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
5S slight camera upgrade very minor... and a fingerprint sensor?:confused:... talk about a big big disappointment, while other competitors are working on something BIG/New Apple is just doing the same darn thing, minor spec bumps
doing the same thing over and over = insanity , they simply wont survive for long.. Apple you have work to do !

What are competitors bringing to the table that's "BIG/New"? Unless you quite literally mean "big" as in "bigger screen" :rolleyes:

Actually, a fingerprint sensor and camera upgrades are exactly the kinds of gimmicky little features Samsung adds to each of their new phones, so I guess Apple is just playing the same game. Of course Apple's "gimmicks" will probably better implemented, as usual.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Interestingly, if Apple priced the iPhone 5 redesign at $350 they would kill Samsung. There is no way Samsung would be able to compete with that price. They would be forced to either stop the galaxy line or to dramatically reduce the price. The A7 chip combined with a 15 hour battery, and a finger print scanner, would kill all Samsung Phones or at least severely hurt sales.

If they included haptic feedback in the (iPad mini 3?) http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...in_haptic_touchscreen_fingertip_feedback.html

it would be ready for implementation on the iPhone 6S. Or they could simply wait for the iPhone 7. I wonder when IGZO displays will be ready for mass production :(

I personally see the iPad mini being an ideal video gaming machine. Once they add 3D gaming to the iPad the skies the limit. There is almost no way they can have an iPad with the technology described in patents like this http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/01/apple_patent_3d_objects/
ready by 2014-2015. Additionally, if Apple buys LeapMotion they could take control of technology that would severely help improve the user experience and would allow them to make beyond awesome products sooner rather then later.

There are reasons Apple has filed patents for these. I don't think they did it off fun. They plan to add this technology, however processors/battery tech has to be available that allows it to make sense. If the battery only lasts 1-2 hours the concept is flawed. If it costs $500 to build they need the costs to come down. My suspicion is that they are building fascilities that can accomidate their production demands and can mass manufacture future stuff for prices that can yield 30-40% margins. When Tim Cook mentioned tht Steve Jobs told him to do what's right I think he was referring to the massive amount of money they will be making. I see a scenario where in 2015-2016 they are earning $150-200 billion in profit. We're a ways off from it playing out, but I can't help but wonder if the reason they aren't using the 120 billionaire that they plan on using it for massive quick production of new fascilities.

Remember, when they have 500billion in cash and more money than God, they effectively become God of the consumer electronics sector. Ironically, even if they are earning $150billion + they will only have 20-25% global market share. ( if even that). Perhaps doing what's right meant being a benevolent God.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Not if you BUY the smartphone. If you BUY the phone, you can use other options. And no one forces you to use 3G or 4G data services.

Higher end smartphones cost considerably more than an iPod touch when purchased outright. And most if not all US carriers force you to pay for a data plan when using a Smartphone on their network.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Nothing for the first 6 months of the year? No way. Investors are already feeling shaky and the stock is doing terrible. No product releases for 6 more months would be market suicide. I think we'll see the redesigned iPad, as well as the retina iPad mini sometime around March. I also think we'll see an iWatch released in the first 6 months. New iPhones in June. I guess cheap iPhones as well, but I have my doubts. I think we'll also see a redesigned Mac Pro in the first 6 months of the year. It would be nice if they released a new redesigned thunderbolt retina display to go with their pro machines. That of course would lead to retina iMacs towards the end of the year.

I bet this guy is trying to tank the stock. There is NO WAY Apple doesn't have something new in March/April...something is coming then and it's not Apple TV.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
the mac pro does not come with thunderbolt. my gut tells me they have a vested interest in moving to vector graphics with 10.9 all the while making the final transition to retina for all of their devices. their imac and displays would be the trickiest given the cost and graphical demands of outputting at those resolutions without compromising the current capabilities to link multiple monitors together. upgrading the graphics on the mac pro and the mac mini to support this won't do unless they have a display ready to go alongside those revisions. i don't see that happening until or after the imac receives the same treatment. the long of it is, i don't see the mac pro being upgraded unless the displays are upgraded as well

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The HP Z1 (easy to upgrade AIO), HP SpectreONE and Dell XPS One 27, don't look too shabby. You could probably make a Hackintosh out of them, although since they're in the same price range as the iMac I'm not sure why you would.

Not only do they cost just as much as an iMac, they all have sh-t GPUs.(Ironic, since Macs have always seen as not being able to play games)

Even the $2100 XPS One 27 has a GT 640M. My MBP even has a better GPU.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I don't know... I thought 2012 was one of the most impressive years in the company's history for hardware refreshes. I think some people's expectations are getting completely out of whack. It's almost as if they expect Apple to pull an iPhone (like the 2007 launch) out of a hat every year.

Honestly my expections aren't high at all...

Just want...

1) Larger screen size option for the next iPhone

2) iOS 7 too update the UI and fix notification center, multitasking, etc.

3) Apple to work on services (Maps, Siri, iCloud)

I'm not asking for for a 5.5'' phablet, Apple 4K TV, etc.

I honestly think those are reasonable.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Why would you want a thinner side bezel on the big iPad? Wouldn't it be harder to hold? S'pose it depends how much lighter it is...

Phantom upVoter

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
Off topic, but I suspect there's a kindly MR member who likes to give every comment on the page a positive vote, which I've noticed before. A little nod to the Phantom Upvoter, whoever you are. ;)

Thank for noticing. I am just doing my part to encourage budding journalists. Forgive me for my anonymous nature, but there are those who do not believe that everyone deserves an upVote.

Peace out!

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
i dont think that apple will update all of their products in Q3...that wouldn't be very tactical.

i think they will split it like in 2012.

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
Lame. Non-retina MBP is the only buffer between me and apple screwing me financially. Looks like I'll be buying the latest non-retina version soon and keeping it for the next 5-6 years.

Though on a side note, if they could make the edges of the MBP topcase rounded they could really help my skin.

J.acks

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
Wow.. Seriously? Why am I not surprise with the prediction.

Apple recent product is too linear. They should make something that WOW the world just like what they did when iPhone first launch!!!

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
No offense but I don't agree that the new imacs have been well received at all. Theres a ton of complaints regarding them and many people think they made unworthy compromises in make the design thinner.

if you trust online commentators, I believe you're wasting your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.