Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
smartphones are already stagnated and tablets will follow by years end imo

Smartphones are a growth sector in emerging countries. It's true that most platforms have reached a maturity level, and have done so quickly thanks to all the research and development that have occurred over the last 4 decades in computing, but about the only market that is reaching some of saturation seems to be the North American market. And as of 2012, Smartphone penetration is estimated only at 55% in the US (though predictions for 2013 is that the growth we've been experiencing will slow down for the segment).

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Apple is stuck innovating around the fringes, polishing this, tweaking that...Malcolm Gladwell had that column that pegs Jobs as more of a tweaker rather than a grand innovator, which is its own set of challenges.
iTV is their chance to innovate. The current model of channels and schedules is based on the old technology of broadcast TV.
The pricing models also stink

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I can't see them releasing almost everything in Q3. They like to spread things around a little.

I think they'll go back to their original schedule of new iPads in March, new iPhones in June and new iPods in Sept with Mac releases spread out depending on Intel's release schedules for this years new processors. A low cost iPhone lite would fit right in alongside the iPods.

The MBA will eventually morph into one of those laptop/tablet hybrids that are hitting the PC market from HP and Asus.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I can't see them releasing almost everything in Q3. They like to spread things around a little.

I think they'll go back to their original schedule of new iPads in March, new iPhones in June and new iPods in Sept with Mac releases spread out depending on Intel's release schedules for this years new processors. A low cost iPhone lite would fit right in alongside the iPods.

The MBA will eventually morph into one of those laptop/tablet hybrids that are hitting the PC market from HP and Asus.

If Apple was to release new iPads in March, because of logistics, all suppliers will be already contracted to produce or prepare new parts, there will be leaks, already there will be test prototypes (its just 45 days before March!) and new builds of iOS geared toward new hardware, containing new drivers for newer chips, would be leaking. Since there is NOTHING, tells that industrial scale preparation for new iPads has not moved that far. Indeed, iPad 4 was released just 60 days ago.

So we'd better forget about March release for iPads/new mini.

Also don't forget that newer builds of iOS should already be iOS 7 builds and its been just few weeks ago that Ive took charge. I think beta of iOS7 will be ready by May; therefore June WWDC will be a bombastic conference on new iOS, new iPads, iPads mini, iPhone 6/5S and all other stuff. Its going to be an eruption (of stock too)

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
If they don't upgrade the Mac Pro in 2013, I will be buying a desktop PC.

I love Apple, but this is really getting insane.

I have work to do, Apple, and I'm not upgrading to the current Mac Pro.

Absolutely, they obviously have something planned and I believe a new form factor of the Mac Pro, they need to keep designing and inventing and the iPhone seems to be sapping all their resources into a battle it seems they are loosing.
The Mac Pro now is so old it's a joke, it works fine but who in their right mind would buy a Mac Pro in 2013 that full of parts made & designed in 2010! The Sandy bridge & Ivy bridge Intel CPU's have been out for years now! Those of us in the music and Video business rely on these machines!!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
iTV is their chance to innovate. The current model of channels and schedules is based on the old technology of broadcast TV.
The pricing models also stink

A TV is not required to innovate on the content front. A TV is a big monitor to display content.

A set top box could change the whole broadcast TV model to a data TV model (Internet streaming technologies basically), coupled with Apple's HTTPLiveStreaming protocol. And Apple can package all of that in a 99$ box that connects to any TV, even the ones you already have.

The reason they don't is that some of the big content providers also have very deep roots in broadcast TV and aren't ready for that shift to happen (the content industry, be it music, movies, TV is veeeeeeery conservative).

No, the rumors around an Apple TV set (the actual monitor with the logic integrated) is not about a new way to deliver content. Apple is thinking something else, something again that was hinted by Tim Cook.

The Jetsons he said :

jetsonstv.jpg

The content revolution ? Expect it to come to both an Apple TV set and an Apple TV set top box to reach as wide an audience as possible (those Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/Sharp/LG TV owners). The Apple TV set ? It's about Facetime.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I was tossing that iDea around a little yesterday, but didn't quite know how to deal with thoughts of Upgrading current gear in the future -
Then seeing this Line - Thunderbolt will fail in everything, Sparked an idea.
Simply Search the idea. Wow- Hot 125f Cables, and More.

What are you trying to tell me? That I pay 100€ more now to receive a thunderbolt enabled motherboard, so that I can possibly add a 500€ graphic card later on? Seriously for that cost I might just as well upgrade to the newest processor and graphic card...

Thunderbolt might be nice on Notebooks? But first graphic card chassis for thunderbolt have yet come to market and second I really doubt anybody will flash out 500€ for such a card, when the rest of their notebook also lack behind.

USB3 is and will be fine enough for 99% of the people.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Absolutely, they obviously have something planned and I believe a new form factor of the Mac Pro, they need to keep designing and inventing and the iPhone seems to be sapping all their resources into a battle it seems they are loosing.
The Mac Pro now is so old it's a joke, it works fine but who in their right mind would buy a Mac Pro in 2013 that full of parts made & designed in 2010! The Sandy bridge & Ivy bridge Intel CPU's have been out for years now! Those of us in the music and Video business rely on these machines!!

The thing is, what % of their revenues come from the Mac Pro and what % of their revenues come from the iPhone ? Answer that question, and you'll understand why the "iPhone seems to be sapping all their resources".

Apple have become highly dependant on the iPhone's success in the last few years, so much so that its failure would probably mean very hard times for Apple.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
If they are gonna put out a new Mac Pro they will do it very soon, wait another 2 months tops if not jump to a build your own.

I hope you're right about that, but Tim Cook's e-mail clearly stated "later next year" which makes me think we'll be waiting until at least WWDC before we see anything happen. There's talk that the new Mac Pro will be assembled in the States and that's not going to take 5 minutes to set up.

If you're like me and have waited this long for the Mac Pro to be updated, another few months isn't going to make much difference.

Having said that... GET ON WITH IT APPLE AND UPDATE THE MAC PRO. #Sob# :mad:

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
A TV is not required to innovate on the content front. A TV is a big monitor to display content.

A set top box could change the whole broadcast TV model to a data TV model (Internet streaming technologies basically), coupled with Apple's HTTPLiveStreaming protocol. And Apple can package all of that in a 99$ box that connects to any TV, even the ones you already have.

The reason they don't is that some of the big content providers also have very deep roots in broadcast TV and aren't ready for that shift to happen (the content industry, be it music, movies, TV is veeeeeeery conservative).

No, the rumors around an Apple TV set (the actual monitor with the logic integrated) is not about a new way to deliver content. Apple is thinking something else, something again that was hinted by Tim Cook.

The Jetsons

The content revolution ? Expect it to come to both an Apple TV set and an Apple TV set top box to reach as wide an audience as possible (those Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/Sharp/LG TV owners). The Apple TV set ? It's about Facetime.
Yes, I expect apps and games and FaceTime, but I wish they would fix the content model too.

Yes they could do it with a box, but Apple is about integrated systems. I don't care which one they do, but just do it already.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Correction to article heading

May I suggest;
Apple's 2013 Product Roadmap Guesswork: Multiple iPhones, Retina iPad Mini, All-Retina MacBook Pros

Seriously, a 10 year old with a calendar and a pen could do better.

There are too many products in a short time span, which would not happen.

It also looks like serious guesswork as to what the products will be.

These analysts obviously have too much time on their hands!

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Robert.Walter
Due to trying to stifle their competitors aspirations to be inside a thunderbolt equipped box?
If true, could this be reason for slow uptake of the thunderbolt standard by non apple OEMs?
I was tossing that iDea around a little yesterday, but didn't quite know how to deal with thoughts of Upgrading current gear in the future -
Then seeing this Line - Thunderbolt will fail in everything, Sparked an idea.
Simply Search the idea. Wow- Hot 125f Cables, and More.

FWIW: Thunderbolt doesn't require an Intel CPU or Bridge architecture. It requires a Thunderbolt controller chipset [certified 3rd party will do] that bridges with the PCI-E bus. Nothing is stopping AMD from adopting it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

The Jetsons he said :

jetsonstv.jpg

I could not agree with you more. They are definitely going to make it something that can be added to any current TV you own. People do not just buy TV's left and right....but an add on for $100-$200, people would be all over. I cannot imagine the apple stores having these massive stocks of 50"-55" TV's in the back.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Every single one of these predictions is obvious, but the big question is about software. What's next? AI, computer vision, payments? Apple needs to double-down on software

----------

I could not agree with you more. They are definitely going to make it something that can be added to any current TV you own. People do not just buy TV's left and right....but an add on for $100-$200, people would be all over. I cannot imagine the apple stores having these massive stocks of 50"-55" TV's in the back.

I agree but I always imagine Steve Jobs in a announcement picking up one of those ridiculous remotes and throwing it in a garbage can

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Every single one of these predictions is obvious, but the big question is about software. What's next? AI, computer vision, payments? Apple needs to double-down on software

THIS is what I was just thinking!

From my point of view, the iDevices are really good devices as is. I don't care about NFC, or fingerprint security, but give me some goodies in software and that would be great!

Also... I suspect more in the TV side... I think Apple needs to show they really can still do something new, fresh and market rocking sans-Jobs.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yes, I expect apps and games and FaceTime, but I wish they would fix the content model too.

Yes they could do it with a box, but Apple is about integrated systems. I don't care which one they do, but just do it already.

Games, apps, all work with a set top box. Selling a webcam to put somewhere in your living room ? Tacky. Not Apple's style. That's why I think an actual Apple TV set would simply integrate the Apple TV set top box and be a portal to FaceTime and iMessage, done well.

Apple is about integrated systems, but they will sell you monitors as an option. The Mac Mini and the Mac Pro don't force you to use an Apple monitor.

At the end of the day, people need to realise that is all a TV is, a monitor. Any logic or content delivery is not tied to this monitor at all. You can record a show off cable or the airwaves without owning a TV (like explained in City Slickers), you just can't watch it.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland

That's exactly what I've been thinking while reading the article. Although OS X as an OS feels quite modern when using it, iOS on the other hand feels "old". My main beef is the tasks switcher you get with the double-press of the home button. There's loads of room for improvement...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
hmmm perhaps no iPads in march after all..

maybe not march, but like someone else pointed out, I doubt they will release all of those products in Q3. I see them spreading things out through the year.

I just cannot seem them going from now until August and only release an appleTV update

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models.

Good plan, with their stock already in free-fall drop one of their best-selling non-iToy product lines?

You're losing your 2 drive bays, replacable memory, replacable battery, and some IO. For a few more screen pixels. Even if they dropped the retrina to the same price as the classic, there is no way I would buy one. It's not so much a computer as a disposable iToy running macOS.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I still don't see the purpose of a retina display on the iMac... but this battle never bodes well because there are too many people stuck on the buzz word "retina" and it's as ugly as the 720P vs 1080P debate that always springs. Now if I were going to mount my iMac to my body and put it smack in my face...

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
All of us who have Mac pro are in the same boat, the issue is we the people who use Mac pro are no longer relevant to Apple and a lot now have jumped to PC, as like you say its insane and rude they have done this. You never know Tim Cook may throw a bone later this year but dont hold your breath!

Also even if he does it will be another 3-4 years before that aso gets updated as its not a consumer item. Consumers want everything now and the latests look, we just want reliability, functionality and the best possible speed for our workflow as well as to be able to update and easy connectivity to a multitude of storage devices etc.

Apple have silently stopped supporting editors, photographers, film makers over the last few years, yes there are the odd update here or there but most have been left to wither on the vine, I mean how long does it take to update aperture for god sake and the FCPx debacle was just silly and a punch in the face.

Lets face it Adobe has the edge for digital workflow and although not perfect and doesn't have Apple on the box at least its updated regular and works perfectly with a PC. Just use it for that and that alone and keep away from the internet unless updating. This way you prevent viruses although not entirely.

So Apple you were just that, the Apple of my eye for many many years, but for pro work its sad but I have to let you go. I will still be using your MackBook for consumer rubbish tho :)

Hate to jump on the negativity bandwagon but this post really rung home to me. Been thinking a lot about Apple as a company today, particularly after hearing Leo Laporte, Rene Ritchie, Adam Engst and Andy Ihnatko's very, very apt comments on MacBreak Weekly. The thing is, the mobile space is absolutely not a certainty for Apple. At all. Yes, right now they have two very popular products, the iPad and the iPhone. They are killer. No doubt about it. Problem is, it might (and probably won't) always be that way. Samsung and other companies may continue to eat into market share until Apple is but a smaller (but probably still profitable) player once again.

For a long time I was cool with that. I thought, it's ok if Apple slide back into being a niche (wrong word, but can't think of another) company so long as they supply incredible products and really cater to their user base. Hell, BMW doesn't have a dominant market share, but they make brilliant products! Think Apple circa 2001 - 2007. Oh, and there'll always be the prosumers. The music industry, the film industry, the design industry. They'll always be Apple won't they? Well maybe (probably) not! This is the sad part to this whole story for me. It's these professional users that literally got Apple through the wilderness after Steve Jobs return to the company and its these customers that Apple's modern legacy is built on! I mean seriously, even if 95% of Apple profits are from iOS devices, how much would it COST to offer consistently updated Mac Pro's and Final Cut / Logic software?

So what happens if Apple loses its grip on the mobile space? Previously I was always comfortable, knowing that if THAT day ever came, at least they'd still be offering great products, particularly to the pro end. Well it seems like their eggs are all in one basket at the moment and that's the iOS basket. I just hate to see a company of Apple's stature quietly ignoring the very kinds of customers that made the company what it is today. There was always something magical about Apple knowing that they had the consumers covered with the iPod and iPhone and then the high end covered like no other company. It's very uncool, and very unapple.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Apple have become highly dependant on the iPhone's success in the last few years, so much so that its failure would probably mean very hard times for Apple.

And that's partly because they wanted to. For example, around 2006 and 2007 I saw an incredible increase of Mac desktops at my university. Most professors and secretaries wanted a Mac as their new computer, in such an amount that the workplace image changed drastically, with an abrupt change in the Mac/PC ratio. Apple could have decided to continue introducing the Mac in more places (in order to have a more diversified income), but instead they chose to go the iOS way and focus on iOS.

The Mac/PC ratio has remained constant at my university, but it's quite likely to decline in the near future because Apple has neglected the Mac.

iOS is Darwin with the Springboard UI on top instead of Finder. It can very much run LLVM or GCC to build apps or build itself. The issue is Apple doesn't ship a LLVM port for iOS and doesn't really allow anyone to do so (without jailbreaking).

The OS itself is capable of it, Darwin is really a modern operating system. The fact that Springboard exposes no way for the user to make it happen is not a limitation of the actual underlying OS, it's an artificial limitation imposed by the vendor.

And that can be lifted at anytime. Apple could turn around at WWDC this year and present XCode for iOS, nothing technical actually prevents it.

I didn't say iOS cannot be autonomous, but that Apple decided so. So I don't understand if you're saying the same with different words, or if you're arguing that iOS apps will be developed on iOS on the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.