Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I love all the armchair analysts on this forum, poking holes and making fun of this set of predictions (and criticising the whole analyst industry, knowing absolutely nothing about what an analyst actually does), the flip side ridiculous predictions from the other crazy camp, and then there are the harsh criticisms aimed at Apple (for doing/not doing something) when they've done/said nothing at this point.

It's pure comedy, and now my bowl of popcorn is empty.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
They will not redesign the iPhone 5. That's tantamount to admitting there's a design flaw.

Not really. Apple is kind of the only phone maker who recycles design for 2 years. No one else does this. No one. In fact, most phone makers usually put out new designs a few times in one year.... not two.

-----
Okay, maybe RIM is the exception.... wait, no... they just keep the same hardware for years. Hey, weren't they supposed to launch the new phone this fall, then this month, and when are they doing that again?

Last edited:

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I'm most excited about skipping these "updates" and continuing to fatten my savings account! I say this because I've been throwing money at Apple since 2007!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If Apple was to release new iPads in March, because of logistics, all suppliers will be already contracted to produce or prepare new parts, there will be leaks, already there will be test prototypes (its just 45 days before March!) and new builds of iOS geared toward new hardware, containing new drivers for newer chips, would be leaking. Since there is NOTHING, tells that industrial scale preparation for new iPads has not moved that far. Indeed, iPad 4 was released just 60 days ago.

So we'd better forget about March release for iPads/new mini.

Also don't forget that newer builds of iOS should already be iOS 7 builds and its been just few weeks ago that Ive took charge. I think beta of iOS7 will be ready by May; therefore June WWDC will be a bombastic conference on new iOS, new iPads, iPads mini, iPhone 6/5S and all other stuff. Its going to be an eruption (of stock too)

Release everything at once at WWDC? I can't see that. Look at their history, Apple likes to make one major announcement / product release at a time so that product gets max publicity. Why would they change that. They also like to have one major announcement each quarter to keep the Apple buzz going in the press.

I could see them moving the iPad to June but if they do they won't release the next iPhone at the same time.

Assuming your right then what are they going to release between now and June? There is nothing left. All the Macs are not due for update yet. Maybe a new Mac Pro? That would get us lot excited but would do nothing for the general public. 6 months of nothing! The share price would sink like a stone unless the iPhone/iPad numbers are better than expected in their earnings call next week.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
the problem with this roadmap

O.K., so I'll admit that I glanced at the roadmap, feverishly looking for any news on the MacPro, so badly in need of up update. Like many of you, my heart sank. I have been waiting to get a Mac Pro since late 2010, when I thought I'd just wait until the next upgrade.

Then I remembered that there is basically one Apple product that the CEO of Apple has announced an upgrade for this year... the Mac Pro. Even if they decided the economics of updating the Pro didn't make sense, just for the sake of saving face, there's no way Apple is not going to come in with an update for the pro market this year. Ignore this guy's timeline post. It's all guesses, and ignores the one product for which Apple HAS announced an update.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
That's an iPhone "mini" I agree with. Not cheap crap for 99$ off contract that can never be built with anything close to an iPhone standard.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A cheaper iPod Touch with no rear camera? Dream on. If anything, it will be the current 5th generation and simply at 8 or 16GB for $199. This is just a bunch of guessing. I highly doubt Apple would save almost every update for one quarter. How is that even feasible logistically?

I agree. Apple will never sell a Touch with 8GB or without a rear camera. If they do anything like they have done in the past, the update will not be until the fall and it will consist of replacing the low end model with a 16GB version of the current model (most likely for $199).

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
If they don't upgrade the Mac Pro in 2013, I will be buying a desktop PC.

I love Apple, but this is really getting insane.

I have work to do, Apple, and I'm not upgrading to the current Mac Pro.

The current Mac Pro comes with 12 cores. If an iMac can do most power computing tasks these days, I am sure this 12-core beast can do it.

The thing is, anyone doing "work" will buy these things in a heartbeat. These desktop computers have a much longer shelf life than consumer products. You can't think like a consumer when buying true pro products. If you are producing, think like a producer and get the computer you need. Don't let Apple hold up the great things you are doing (or trying to do but can't because of waiting on an update?).

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The fact that a Retina MBP was coming was the "obvious" part, but keeping the existing non-Retina MBP line was the unusual detail people didn't believe at the time. Kuo was the first to say, and people said it was stupid:

Read that thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1381818/

arn
And there I am, at the bottom of the wrong list.

I bet this guy is trying to tank the stock. There is NO WAY Apple doesn't have something new in March/April...something is coming then and it's not Apple TV.
They could have an iOS 7 and 10.9 preview.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And that's partly because they wanted to. For example, around 2006 and 2007 I saw an incredible increase of Mac desktops at my university. Most professors and secretaries wanted a Mac as their new computer, in such an amount that the workplace image changed drastically, with an abrupt change in the Mac/PC ratio. Apple could have decided to continue introducing the Mac in more places (in order to have a more diversified income), but instead they chose to go the iOS way and focus on iOS.

The Mac/PC ratio has remained constant at my university, but it's quite likely to decline in the near future because Apple has neglected the Mac.

Apple's Mac business is still outgrowing the PC market (which has shown some signs of retraction in the last few years).

The thing is, Apple didn't really "want to". It just happened. The smartphone sector showed tremendous growth since 2007 and Apple has been riding it. They could not ever have done so with the Mac, no matter what they tried. The PC market was mature and growth was minimal.

The Mac business is being run very efficiently by Apple and the proof is in the pudding : they are growing more than the market is growing and have been doing it for years. What more did you expect out of Macs ?

I didn't say iOS cannot be autonomous, but that Apple decided so. So I don't understand if you're saying the same with different words, or if you're arguing that iOS apps will be developed on iOS on the future.

I'm saying iOS already is a full modern operating system. That Apple doesn't ship a development IDE that runs under it does not mean it isn't.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
It would definitely be interesting to see what a new Apple TV brings to the table. It's not one of those devices that they can update with better internals for better performance like a Mac or iPhone as it performs very well (for me anyway). It also wouldn't make sense to update its guts without having a redeeming new feature that they can be used for.

I would really like to see a much larger selection of 'apps' on it, but seeing as how Apple can add these on the fly, I don't know if a new model with an app store would be required.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
Apple is an appliance company now. They're alright at designing phones, tablets, and very thin laptops. But their desktop line is hopeless. :cool:

My next laptop might be an Air. I will, however, definitely be building my own desktop when I feel like I need to upgrade.

Sounds about right. I love Apple laptops and keep a Macbook Pro for portable needs, work, and school stuff mostly. It was my main machine but I wanted a desktop for gaming, working at home, and music making. I got tired of waiting for a new Mac Pro and built a desktop that's probably as powerful if not more powerful than the latest Mac Pro for a 1/3rd the cost. I would've saved up and bought a Mac Pro had they updated it.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
If there is a nice update to the Apple TV, and it stays $100, I might get it. I've got three already, all AppleTV2s, but one is fairly old and it doesn't quite perform as well as the more recent one. I'd like to get the 1080p upgrade on that one and perhaps upgrade the very old TV it is connected to as well.

Though I wonder if the fact that the second generation can be jailbreaked makes it more valuable and useful. Maybe I will jailbreak it just to see what happens.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This analyst is so full of sh-- I can smell it from here.

This is the sloppiest dart-throw prediction I ever saw on here. And there were some real wacko predictions by "noted analysts" in the past.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Please stop posting anything from this guy.

He has NEVER come out with a single original thing.

Every of one his analyst/sources are AFTER numerous other blogs have put out things.

He culls together numerous rumors and ignores the ridiculous/far fetched stuff.

Iphone 5s? Cheaper model? really where have we heard these before.
Wow, I was surprised to see your post when I instantly thought he had made some bold predictions here, and started to wonder whether he has some good sources at Apple.

I mean, we saw rumors on a Q3 launch for the iPhone 5S just yesterday and he's already finished this roadmap. I have a feeling he thought this before that report. And back then, most people guessed at a surprisingly early launch, especially due to the recent reports of less orders for iPhone 5 hardware. The idea has often been Q2 or so.

Also, Apple TV refresh? Rumors have been essentially silent about the Apple TV, and here he's predicting something new very soon.

Of all his predictions, the only ones I recognize in his given timeframe are those for the forthcoming laptop refreshes, which I guess were "easy".

An iPad refresh along with the iPhone refresh is also kind of surprising, with these often being separate.

We'll see soon, starting with Apple TV, whether these are just pure guesses or if there is more to it.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
I'm not saying he's not spot on.

I'm saying he does not issue anything original. It is culled together rumors from various other sources. Toss out far fetched stuff.

9to5mac wrote about a retina macbook nearly a month before.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/14/apple...lay-ultra-thin-design-and-super-fast-usb-3-3/

As an analyst, isn't that his job? Listen to the rumors, do some investigating into back channels himself and then issue a report so that his investors can get a better idea on how to invest their money?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If there is a nice update to the Apple TV, and it stays $100, I might get it. I've got three already, all AppleTV2s, but one is fairly old and it doesn't quite perform as well as the more recent one. I'd like to get the 1080p upgrade on that one and perhaps upgrade the very old TV it is connected to as well.

Though I wonder if the fact that the second generation can be jailbreaked makes it more valuable and useful. Maybe I will jailbreak it just to see what happens.

My mother had an ATV2, and I got her to sell hers on eBay and immediately buy an ATV3, since she's not into jailbreaking hers (as I have done), she got the 1080p version and pocketed the difference - what a deal, she was quite happy.

If another ATV, though, is coming out, it'd have to be a big change to the device, such as what? I'm not sure, but it's already got 1080p, it does the job it's supposed to do, so it'd mean something like App Store functionality, which the previous models might not support?? That'd be upsetting. Easy tie in with remote or gaming controller, which might not be supported on the older ATVs?? It seems like a lot of the things they could do in a new box could be rolled back into the older versions through software updates, so what would require a new box? Can't wait to see, and would love to see them do more with the ATV, I've been a loyal fan of it since my ATV gen1 allowed me to cut the cable cord all those years ago.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This analyst is so full of sh-- I can smell it from here.

This is the sloppiest dart-throw prediction I ever saw on here. And there were some real wacko predictions by "noted analysts" in the past.

Missed the post arn did that outlined how this analyst is very often right about Apple's product roadmaps and has quite a few true predictions under his belt ? ;)

It's funny how people read rumors like this, then when it's not what they want, they say the Analyst is full of crap, even though his track record says otherwise.

Toadstall

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Essex UK
Hope so

Here's hoping, got a MBP this year but travelling I also have to carry a 17" Dell (which I believe to be the heaviest laptop ever produced & its current so not an age thing) - so I want the retina Ipad Mini, they shouldve called it Ipad Air - perfect for travel. But has to be retina for plane seat proximity & films. And seeing as this is a wish list - 128gig please.

Also hope the iPhone rumours are true - not interested in the price drop or colours, or screen size particularly. I have an itch for more memory and Im hoping the thicker iphone is a 3.5 screen with a monster battery......... then Id return to launch day purchases. My 4S gets donated to daughter - hey we're all happy.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
There's a positive side of these predictions, though: A lot of people talking about the Mac Pro. The "iPhone 5 demand below expectations" rumor caused new rumors negating it... maybe the lack of the Mac Pro in this article causes more Mac Pro rumors to happen in the near future... that would be a positive consequence of these predictions...

rps1972

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
Cologne
OMG... he gets paid for that??!!

I don't get it... there's absolutely nothing in there that could not be predicted by any numbskull apple fan on the street. Why is this here? This is not news!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.