Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I agree with all you said. I don't think there will be an S this time around. I also like the idea of the mid-range phone being 3.5 inches HSPA+, high end one being 4 inches LTE, and of course different processor.

Yeah, if Apple wants to increase market share they need to do it this way. Yes, Apple sells free iphones (4) and discounted (4S) but its an 'older' phone. By releasing newer models with two entry price point levels, I think that will help them.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
You think apple maps are better? Google Maps also provides turn by turn which I prefer. The main benefit of siri is I can perform handless operations whilst driving, which is somewhat limited on my current iPhone 4.

I was referring to the old Google Maps prior to Apple releasing their own app. I have not used (or even downloaded) the new Google Maps app, since Apple's Maps has done the job (and I don't rely on it too much anyway).

"Mapgate" did not affect me at all.. :)

Still, I want a larger iPhone but I'll put up with whatever Apple releases because I still don't like the "feel" of other phones. I just think they're still not as smooth (or as secure) as Apple's.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
I have the 4S and also had the 3S....but Apple has failed to include major, obvious enhancements to iOS over the past few years. I may switch to a Droid.

Here are my beefs with iOS...especially as a dad:

-inability to keep photos/videos from being deleted. There should be a switch in Settings do disable the delete/trashcan function. This would help when kids grab your phone or a malicious attack.

-can't send emails with over 4MB of attachments. What year is it now? Oh yea, 2013 where Gmail and Yahoo and Hotmail have 25MB limits while most ISPs have 10-20MB limits. Ridiculous, Apple.

-can't get the videos off the iPhone...well, not via iTunes anyway. Terrible! I have to hook it up TO A COMPUTER. Or I can buy an App that will *wirelessly* send them to another iOS device or computer.

-videos recorded at the wonderful hi-def on the iPhone get pushed to cruddy quality when pushed to Youtube or an email attachment. Um....why?!!? It's 2013...a 50MB video file is nothing. And regardless if it's WIFI or cell carrier, it's my data plan...let me worry about my data usage. So all these 1080 vids are essentially stuck on my camera at full quality. Therefore, WHAT'S THE POINT of having 1080 if I can't show it 1080 somewhere else?!

-video clips sent via email are limited to 40 seconds if I remember correctly. Lovely.

-browser still has major caching problems. Why does it do a full refresh of the page when I come back to my phone 2 minutes later?

-when a big web page is taking awhile to load, I want to open a new tab and go somewhere else while the other tab loads. Impossible on the iPhone...as soon as move away from the tab, the loading stops.

-still tied to iTunes...talk about lock-in

-Can only sync wirelessly with iTunes if the phone is plugged into the electrical outlet...um....why?!

-The only way to see just the videos is to go through the Camera app, click on the little left bottom corner icon, then select Videos. Why the heck can't I just go to Photos and see the same VIDEOS tab at the top?! It has been this way for YEARS! So I need to go through all these extra finger clicks to get there.

-No parental controls for websites...Apple, in their let's-censor-everything-in-App-Store can't even provide a simple black-list of 10,000 websites my kids can't visit. Or a password to access Safari.

-No parental controls for youtube...something should be available here. What about a password to access Youtube?

-Only shows last ~10 days worth of calls...WHAAAT?!

-Safari History isn't so great...stuff is always missing from 3-4 days ago. And the type-ahead feature of the URL bar is nice, but again, 3-4 days later the history. It should be more like 30-60 days or have a user setting.

-Email attachments (especially Office and PDF) cannot be saved to my iPhone...I am forced to always go back to the email. That's about as unhandy as can be.

So although I have liked the iPhone for the past 4+ years, it's annoying that Apple hasn't addressed any of the above problems that I and others have made very public as well as have sent to Apple for inclusion in updates.

Remember, iOS is not just for the phones...it's also on the billions of iPods Apple has sold the past few years that are in hands of kids and adults.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I don't remember the last time I needed to use an optical drive.

I just used one last night.

Sure people may use optical drives less but there's no reason to exclude them on desktop computers. I can see why Apple dumped them off of some laptops, it reduces size and weight making carrying it around easier. And it improves battery life. But a stationary desktop? I want every feature possible in a powerhouse desktop computer. It's not going anywhere, why sacrifice features to make it lighter/thinner??

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Can't wait for the 5S to be released so I can start getting excited for the next one. I have to wait for the iPhone 6 because my contract expires September 2014. I will have skipped three generations! I'm on an iPhone 4 still and I still like it. I'll still be excited about the 6 though.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Here's the thing, though, that speaks for my family, and might speak for others. We currently have two phones on $30 grandfathered plans, one iPhone on the old $25 2GB plan, and a feature phone, which has been doing silly things for my pops, so he's gonna be getting a Lumia soon, which would raise the bill by another $20 with the 300MB plan, all on the 700 minute plan with a 17% FAN discount. With our bill sitting at around $200/month now (which I'm trying to figure out how we can lower it, hopefully with removing the $30 texting plan as we all will have smartphones soon and utilize IM apps like Whatsapp, etc., a surplus of rollover minutes, and utilization of talkatone on our iPhones). With mobile share, which will be tiered, the next available to fit our needs is the 4GB plan. With potentially 4 smartphones, that'll put the bill upward of $230 plus taxes. Then, with everyone is allotted a GB or so, a data rationing system is created. All for what? To give more money to AT&T to be able to see each other's face on our screens for a couple of minutes? The tradeoff's ridiculous. Keeping our plans as is, adding my pop's smartphone, then doing away with texting would supplant us at around where our bill is now.

Long story short, for us, the feature set of the new tiered plans isn't enticing or cost-effective enough to warrant families who do use data or work, school, and leisure and who are knowledgable enough about their needs and their bill. The news of a feature addition that leaves long-term customers out who base doing so on costs is a money grab to the worst degree. Contracts are ending in March, pops Lumia will be off contract, phones are being unlocked, and we will be going month-to-month and awaiting T-Mobile's rollout.

----------

Whoops, wrong thread posting, my bad y'all! Ridiculous mobile safari reloading on this mini that opened the previous thread!! *shakes fists*

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
If there's no innovation this stock will continue to nose dive.

I love my Apple products but I'm hatting AAPL as a stock right now :(

Yup. There has been nothing 'innovative' to come out of Apple since the Retina display in the iPhone 4.

----------

Can't wait for the 5S to be released so I can start getting excited for the next one. I have to wait for the iPhone 6 because my contract expires September 2014. I will have skipped three generations! I'm on an iPhone 4 still and I still like it. I'll still be excited about the 6 though.

Ditto. My 4 is still going strong. The only thing I would like however is LTE, since the 3G speeds in NYC are abysmal.

Shlooky

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
iOS needs a radical change, make it more Mac OS like, with a file management and new features. Multiple desktops, widgets etc. More gestures and so on!

If iOS 7.0 is not updated in a major way, they will experience less and less people buying their phones.
I have an iPhone 5 (upgraded from 3GS) and it's great. it need a great looking OS.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Here's hoping it'll have NFC and some funky new features to go with it :D

Not going to happen. Just like BluRay and USB3 in Macs. People prefer sharing data over iCloud.

----------

Yay, a slightly faster iPhone 5 with a slightly improved camera. Can't wait to upgrade so soon!

...Not.

PS. I really want Apple to prove me wrong.

Samsung (Android in general) as Apple never bundled a decent camera in their devices. Nokia N95, launched at the time of the first iPhone still is a competitor of recent iOS and Android cameras. Sad but true.

Nokia N8 has a better camera than iPhone 5 (and all Android cameras). 808 Pureview is years ahead.

Lumia 920 smaller sensor camera means that Nokia is retreating its imaging efforts to what market is prepared to assimilate, that is, consumers are accustomed to use toy cameras, so a barely decent imaging device will be the best by far.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I just used one last night.

Sure people may use optical drives less but there's no reason to exclude them on desktop computers. I can see why Apple dumped them off of some laptops, it reduces size and weight making carrying it around easier. And it improves battery life. But a stationary desktop? I want every feature possible in a powerhouse desktop computer. It's not going anywhere, why sacrifice features to make it lighter/thinner??

I personally haven't used the optical drive in a long long time so not really an issue nowit's gone on the new imacs, can always buy an external one if it's really needed.

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
Key improvement will hopefully be better 4G support. The iPhone 5 doesn't support many of the frequency ranges in operation or being planned in Europe and I imagine sales will suffer if they miss the boat there. Presume its still too early for faster wifi
Yep you are 100% right, lack of LTE (proper name for what carriers sell as 4G*) was my reason for not getting The iPhone5 and if Apple drops the LTE ball again with the 5S I am seriously thinking about going for an android phone (I dont't know which, I'll need to do some research if t comes to this)
Am I the only one that was dissapointed at the somewhat lacking LYE support on the iPhone5 :)?

* for the ITU definition of 4G see Wikipedia

Genetheninja

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Personally I'll stick with my 5 until they give the option of a wider screen. I'd like to at least try it with an iPhone without having to get some crappy Android phone. Getting sick of people whipping out their phone and saying "Look how big mine is compared to yours... DUUUH!"

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
When the iPhone 4S was announced with the same design and still no LTE... people said Apple missed the boat.

Now that the iPhone 5 has a new design after 2 years and finally has LTE... and people are saying "meh... it's not a big enough upgrade"
OK I'm repeating myself a bit. The iPhone LTE chip is useless in most of Europe because of lacking sopport for the frequencies actually used for LTE here. The "meh... " reaction you refer to is probably the result of people thinking "Great I finaly get LTE on an iPhone" and then reading that in all probability their carier won't sopport it

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Personally I'll stick with my 5 until they give the option of a wider screen. I'd like to at least try it with an iPhone without having to get some crappy Android phone. Getting sick of people whipping out their phone and saying "Look how big mine is compared to yours... DUUUH!"

I read a rumor that the note 3 is going to have a 6.3 inch screen and am eight core processor!

Lol, can you imagine how silly someone will look holding that to their face? And eight cores? Wow.

There is such a thing as too much...I think Apple needs to do a wider screen like you said, but thankfully I know they would never consider something that big!

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Apple is stupid to release more than once a year. Doing it on a yearly basis allows them to maximize revenue by having the die hards upgrade with every hardware release. Multiple hardware release in less than a year means a lot of those diehards will pass and wait for the next iteration of the device like the majority of users already do. It also decreases the window they have to improve the product on a release by release basis. I doubt they'll be anything in the 5S that makes a iPhone 5 user want to upgrade. Plus the release itself becomes less of an event and there's less buzz associated with it. The only thing that makes sense is that they want to get a version of the 5 with an LTE chip that supports the frequencies used in more countries.

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I read a rumor that the note 3 is going to have a 6.3 inch screen and am eight core processor!

Lol, can you imagine how silly someone will look holding that to their face? And eight cores? Wow.

There is such a thing as too much...I think Apple needs to do a wider screen like you said, but thankfully I know they would never consider something that big!

Getting rid of bezels and physical buttons, the Note 3 can probably reach a 6.3" screen without any increasing in the overal size. Personally, I think a 1280x720 screen in a 5.5" screen is not enough for reading e-books. I'd like a cell phone which could give e-reader comfort in a slightly bigger screen size (e.g. 6" with fullHD resolution, no bezels, same dimensions of the Note 2).

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
I doubt it - not only would a 4.8 inch display be ridiculous looking and ridiculously awkward to use, but it would completely contradict apple's "thumbs" ad campaign.

I also find it very irritating how, for example, Samsung advertise their Galaxy S III screen to be "true hd" and using it as an excuse to slam apple, completely ignoring the fact that the iPhone's retina display in ppi is superior. :rolleyes:

If you knew what you actully where talking about I would care more. As "superior" is a 20ppi advandge for the iphone, but, the larger and with a higher resolution amoled is the superrior choice. Dont fool yourself, if Apple could go amoled instead of ips led they would.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I personally haven't used the optical drive in a long long time so not really an issue nowit's gone on the new imacs, can always buy an external one if it's really needed.

A great way to make more money for Apple. Leave out key features on a desktop computer then sell you the key feature extra.

Really excited about this - just in time for my birthday!

I did not bother to update the 4S as 4G is currently monopolised by EE and their extortionate price pans! :mad:

I like to buy my phones outright from apple, and cop a cheap sim-only deal

I have to say am very impressed with the 5, i for one did not want a larger screen since i detest the samsung 3s/nexus monstrosities, however the 5 is sleek, sexy, and suave bit of kit!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Leave out key features on a desktop computer then sell you the key feature extra.

I believe the point of the commenter you quoted is that an optical drive is no longer a key feature of a desktop computer as most people rarely have a need for them anymore.

----------

Lol, can you imagine how silly someone will look holding that to their face?

About as silly as someone looks holding the Note 2 to their face. (Very silly.)

pego99

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008

I think a wider screen will not happen.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I am beginning to think more and more that the next iPhone will be an iPhone 5, but slightly thicker to accommodate an NFC radio and antenna system. And the NFC will be compatible with the Sony-developed FeliCa NFC system (which is widely used for mobile payments in Japan) and the upcoming ISIS mobile payment system in the USA.

If Apple does this, they would wipe out all the competition in no time flat even with the advantage of larger screen sizes on Android phones.

kolizion

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Sigh

I'm going to call this as I see it with technology.

July - announcing apples new line
New airport extreme router featuring AC

iPhone 5s, featuring camera, AC wifi, better battery, colors.

Apple TV with AC / 1080p, possible 4k or full frame.

Causing everyone to upgrade everything for faster stuff and longer battery life off wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.