Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbiemazing

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Philippines
i hope it helps

Choosing the right time management software for your business is important. You have to have guidelines and carefully do some research. Some of the software has flaws. An example of a flaw is the tracked time is not allocated to a specific block of time. On some of the web based time tracking software, workers can theoretically divide themselves into 2 people and work on 2 different tasks at the same time. Either you're on the matrix, it is just impossible on the real world.
This blog will hopefully give you more information and will help you decide what tool to get.
:)

funkahdafi

Suspended
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
Disgusting, folk!

I find it rather disgusting how owners/creators of project management software jump on this thread to advertise themselves. Get lost, spammers.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I find it rather disgusting how owners/creators of project management software jump on this thread to advertise themselves. Get lost, spammers.

I'd agree, I wouldn't mind but they are posting absolute junk software....

Still the best project management software IMHO is what Atlassian has to offer, it's both cost effective and scalable.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
so1o
http://www.thrivesolo.com/

Seems like the most beautiful project management software ever. I mean to try it sometime this month.

14-Day Free Trial. $10/month after.

(Just to be clear, I'm not affiliated with so1o in any way. I've just had them bookmarked for months and now that I'm freelance I plan to give them a try based on looks alone :))

Designercreate

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Job management software creatives

Hi everyone I've been using a software called briefcase site is http://www.briefcase.net.au and I have to tell you it's amazing piece of software Im a graphic designer and print management and this suits me to a tee.

Price wise its value, support pretty good, and it's easy stress free.

I previously worked for other studios and agencies that used steam time, basecamp, traffic and those are all bull **** when you compare to briefcase.

wrexual

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
I rarely post, but this is a topic that I've been doing a lot of research on lately. I currently working a web design studio of 5 people, and a few sub contractors. Our current software is Streamtime.

Streamtime
I hate it. We all hate it. We all do, but we're yet to find any other software that offers as many features as this software does. I think my greatest reason against it is how annoying the UI is to work with. We're all Mac based and it really doesn't tie into the beautiful UIs that we're used to working with. It's damn expensive too. At the moment, we're paying $50AU per user per month. The larger your business, the more expensive it gets. You have the option of buying it outright at the start, then paying for upgrades, but even then, you're up for an expensive purchase.

The only reason we're still on this software is that we don't have time to migrate to another system, and my boss wants all the extra reports/options, but for the designers/developers, there are so many annoyances that seem so simple that it's unbelievable that they haven't fixed them yet.

so1o
I gave this software a crack last week, and visually, it's amazing. Web based, which is very important (to me at least). Quite a bit more limited, and suitable to individuals rather than teams. They have a multi-user version on the way in the coming months, which I'm keen to see. At the moment, it doesn't quite have the right features/customisability required for me (as a freelancer) but I'd recommend all freelancers have a look at it.

Pancake
Web based software. It's a one-off $49 purchase which you then install it on your own PHP/MySQL server. I purchased this a couple of days ago and am in the process of setting it up. I've noticed a couple of minor issues/questions that I'm not too sure about, but it looks quite good. Two decisions led me to purchasing this app:
It's built using CodeIgniter, so at the end of the day, I can customise it to do anything that (I think) it lacks; and
Their developers seem quite open to suggestions on their forums and the pace at which new features are being added seems quite good. Anything this software doesn't do right now, I'm sure it will in the coming months.

At the end of the day, which software you choose really depends on the individual and their needs, so I think your best bet is to try as many options out as possible and you'll eventually find the one app that suits you best.

Last edited:

Designercreate

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
To the last poster I get what your saying about streamtime I have used them too and agree with how bad the system is they are fading out of the Australian market I can't believe studios are still using them.
Get your boss to check out Briefcase.net.au
Like I said amazing we integrated from another program and it was quick and easy plus started saving heaps of money.
I can't speak more highly about them they did custom reports, calendars spreadsheets Everything everything

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
May I suggest trying Bento (personal database from FileMaker) to track your projects, this has the advantage of easy customization to better serve your needs. Combine this with iCal schedule management and I think you have a winner...

Just an example: here, a goofy one, I know, but still, an example. :rolleyes:

Does Bento sync with iCal (iCloud)?

----------

OK, I see that it does along with Address Book. That makes Bento an attractive option for me.

JackieMB

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Recommend FastTrack Schedule

I recommend FastTrack Schedule. It is made by a small business and it wins more awards than MS Project. AEC Software has been making it since 1987 and it is used in all industries, including Film (a couple of big box office ones used it), the Olympic Games, etc.

You can add images to it very easily, resources, task lists, and it has Gantt chart functionality... among many other things. It does a lot, and it looks beautiful at the same time.

It is also compatible with quite a few project management programs, so you can share with other people easily. (including MS Project).

They have a Mac and Win version (cross-system compatible) and an iPad app.

http://www.aecsoftware.com

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
+1 for Omniplan as project management solution, and +1 for OmniFocus as a GTD based task management app.

If the OP's issue is largely tracking tasks for various projects, I'd go with Omnifocus (and read Getting Things Done by David Allen. OF is great across iPhone, iPad and Mac (not a small investment), of the three, the iPad version is probably the best stand-alone app.

If the issue is more the flow of an overall project(s) - managing timing, mapping out stages, presenting a gantt chart to clients, assigning resources, then I'd recommend OmniPlan.

annabella

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
VMproject

The best software for management project I know is VMproject. It's very easy to use and very pleasant :)

Mavenlink

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Hi

It's simple. If you want to get control, if you want a bright clever and efficient assistant to help you, a project management software is a good idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.