Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:31 PM   #51
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Did they fix the issue of Notes deselecting itself within iCloud settings at random?
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:52 PM   #52
ultraspiracle
macrumors member

no ML for me (again) till the shutdown time is brought under control to something reasonable. This kills solid state and retina MBPs. I went back to Lion - solid, stable.
ultraspiracle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:06 PM   #53
ssblakemac25
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
My 10.8.2 issues:

1) SLOW SHUTDOWNS

2) Poor battery life (2-3 hours, max, on MacBook Pro w/ 92% of original battery capacity)

3) iCal randomly gives errors with Google calendars.

I've seen no changelog (anywhere) that mentions those being addressed.
1) I was experiencing the slow shutdown on my MBP. Searched everywhere for a solution. After booting in verbose mode, I saw a process was hanging. Followed instructions here (3 terminal commands) and now have two second shutdowns.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1448304&page=5
ssblakemac25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:38 PM   #54
koban4max
macrumors 65816

You guys should send feedback to apple... if apple didn't fix it..that's because it's your fault of not report... sounds like unreported rape.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 PM   #55
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
I really don't get why they started calling it OS X and not, like, Mac OS. Because Mac OS will apply even when they introduce System 11, but OS X won't.

They started calling Mac OS X because it is the Tenth version of Mac OS. Before it was Mac OS X, it was Mac OS 9.
cmChimera is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:52 PM   #56
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

I'm a super happy ML user.

The only thing that still bugs me is the occational blue-colour-tint when switching graphics cards (on my almost brand new non-retina but hires 15" MacBook Pro). Hopefully, this will be fixed with a new set of updated graphics-drivers.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:57 PM   #57
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post

The only thing that still bugs me is the occational blue-colour-tint when switching graphics cards (on my almost brand new non-retina but hires 15" MacBook Pro). Hopefully, this will be fixed with a new set of updated graphics-drivers.
I have that same MBP and I don't see that in 10.8.3
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:35 AM   #58
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post

I thought they fixed that with 10.8.2...? It was an issue with 10.8 and 10.8.1 that sometimes it gotten me distorted graphics until I had to reboot my MBP... It returned, and I stick back in SL...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:06 AM   #59
marshy82
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
No it is not?
For me it is, before it was very random. sometimes it would take 20 seconds other times it would take 2 seconds. Now the shutdown time is always 2 seconds. Safari seems to be a bit more laggy in this build
marshy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:17 AM   #60
daneoni
macrumors G4

I'm happy with ML and going back to SL is just laughable at this point. To me anyway...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:21 AM   #61
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssblakemac25 View Post
1) I was experiencing the slow shutdown on my MBP. Searched everywhere for a solution. After booting in verbose mode, I saw a process was hanging. Followed instructions here (3 terminal commands) and now have two second shutdowns.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1448304&page=5
Fixed the appleevents plist then internetsharing started to hang, fixed that one and now it's securityd.

Seems the issue is in the code and can't be fixed by just adding some options to the plist file.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I'm happy with ML and going back to SL is just laughable at this point. To me anyway...
I'm very happy with ML too.
The Bulge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:41 AM   #62
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Hopefully, 10.8.3 will fix the crashes when switching graphic cards
This bug exists since (Mac) OS X 10.6.0. Why do you think they fix this kernel bug in 10.8.3?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoFan View Post
It kinda feels like this is the last update (or second to last) before 10.9.
10.8.3 supports the new Thunderbolt Displays and/or the new Mac Pro. Hints are the new Fresco Logic PCIe to USB 3.0 bridge drivers and new AMD drivers.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
I can't help but think the live release of 10.8.3, and maybe iOS 6.1, coming around the earnings call next week.
OS X updates come always after the printer driver updates (usually 2-4 weeks later). See:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:54 AM   #63
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
With every new build, the hope for big improvements becomes stronger!
Such as?

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:30 AM   #64
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
You guys should send feedback to apple... if apple didn't fix it..that's because it's your fault of not report... sounds like unreported rape.
That's the strongest analogy I've ever heard.
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:37 AM   #65
81Steven
macrumors regular

No shutdown issue here with both imac 2009 and imac late 2012

Happy ML user here
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:49 AM   #66
MacHiavelli
macrumors 6502a

I've had my iMac and MBP for the best part of 5 years now and I have only turned the iMac off a couple of times when I have changed rooms, and the MBP when it has had a change of battery.

Do most people actually turn off their Macs rather than just use sleep? Why? Sleep uses very little power and makes the machines so easy to use.

Re the name and what come after OS X … I've always assumed that any step change would be OS XI (a continuation of Apple's use of Roman numerals) rather than 11.
MacHiavelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 AM   #67
Schranke
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
I believe that may just be the rather underpowered onboard GPU powering that massive resolution w/ desktop animations than Mountain Lion..

Aren't the rMBP pretty twitchy, anyway?
It dos not feel like something from the onboard GPU, but do not know for sure.
Think the EFI update have a little role in it to.
I would love to see 10.8.3 and rMBP EFI roll out at that same time soon.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:29 AM   #68
Pegamush
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
Still don't like it? Don't use it then. But this completely unconstructive whining has to end.
well i might want to buy a new mac sooner or later, but since i cannot install SL on new machines i won't. call me crazy but i'm tempted to look over to win or ubuntu for my next pc.
Pegamush is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:19 AM   #69
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

I find iMessage, Notes, AirPlay, Notifications to be powerful additions to OS X. I for one am not complaining that these features happen to be brought over from iOS. It's so convenient to just type down a shopping list on the laptop and its real keyboard, and then just go shopping with the phone, with the list already there. And Notifications made me instantly ditch anything related to Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter notification apps/browser extensions, as well as Growl.

Last edited by Northgrove; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
Northgrove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:51 AM   #70
koen
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
My 10.8.2 issues:

1) SLOW SHUTDOWNS

2) Poor battery life (2-3 hours, max, on MacBook Pro w/ 92% of original battery capacity)

3) iCal randomly gives errors with Google calendars.

I've seen no changelog (anywhere) that mentions those being addressed.
If you (or others) haven't reported them to Apple, chances that they will be fixed are small. Discussing problems on a public forum has no use, you better use the official Apple feedback page at http://apple.com/feedback/
koen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:29 AM   #71
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
I find iMessage, Notes, AirPlay, Notifications to be powerful additions to OS X. I for one am not complaining that these features happen to be brought over from iOS. It's so convenient to just type down a shopping list on the laptop and its real keyboard, and then just go shopping with the phone, with the list already there. And Notifications made me instantly ditch anything related to Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter notification apps/browser extensions, as well as Growl.
I'm just about 100% in agreement with you. My single favourite feature has to be the ability to send/receive iMessages to/from my phone number on my mac.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:37 AM   #72
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
They started calling Mac OS X because it is the tenth version of Mac OS. Before it was Mac OS X, it was Mac OS 9.
When they actually called it Mac OS X, that made sense. But now they're just calling it "OS X".
Thumb resize.
sazivad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:38 AM   #73
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

You've probably not seen expose in ML, and you probably don't remember the hate-flame-war over expose in Mac forums when SL came out; I'm guessing.

Here is expose in ML:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...0504at948.png/

Here is expose in SL:
http://www.macintouch.com/specialrep...expose-all.jpg

Here is expose in L:
http://pcmcourseware.com/blog/wp-con.../12/expose.png

Look back at forum posts from Fall of 2009. People hated expose in SL, about as much as they hate ML today. Some things never change.

I don't "love" ML, and really hate the fact that Apple refuses to allow backwards compatibility on newer Macs. I'm just trying to prevent misinformation. (1) Expose in ML is better than Lion; and for those who have been around OSX for a while, recognize that it's back to proper Leopard behavior from when it was best., and (2) not all the extras are bloat, just some of them :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithanius View Post
Then don't read it... First of all, though "all the social cr@p" is completely optional, its processes are not, and thus cannot be turned off whether you use it or not. It's a bloatware to say the least. Secondly, Leopard has the "proper" exposè, SL is the refinement of it. It looks a lot cleaner than some random windows thrown at your screen. I just don't understand why would Apple want to reverse it with Lion and Mountain Lion. I guess that's the very sign that Apple is going BACKWARDS hence the lack of innovation after SJ got beaten back to his grave.

Still don't like it? Don't read it then, don't even bother to quote. Because this I-hate-SL-buggers-ML-being-latest-and-greatest-wannabe whining has to end.
oneMadRssn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:46 AM   #74
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You've probably not seen expose in ML, and you probably don't remember the hate-flame-war over expose in Mac forums when SL came out; I'm guessing.

Here is expose in ML:

Here is expose in SL:

Here is expose in L:

Look back at forum posts from Fall of 2009. People hated expose in SL, about as much as they hate ML today. Some things never change.

I don't "love" ML, and really hate the fact that Apple refuses to allow backwards compatibility on newer Macs. I'm just trying to prevent misinformation. (1) Expose in ML is better than Lion; and for those who have been around OSX for a while, recognize that it's back to proper Leopard behavior from when it was best., and (2) not all the extras are bloat, just some of them :-)
I didn't mind Snow Leopard Exposé and I don't mind Mountain Lion's either. But I do want the labels that Snow Leopard had. I like having a little text indicator of what window is what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
When they actually called it Mac OS X, that made sense. But now they're just calling it "OS X".
Thumb resize.
Oh ok gotcha. I thought you meant as a whole.

Last edited by cmChimera; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:33 AM   #75
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Here is expose in ML:

Here is expose in SL:

Here is expose in L:

You guessed it wrong. I came from the Tiger era where Expose had already been introduced on Panther. Leopard came and went, but because Apple introduced a bunch of new features that bloated it, I skipped and went straight to Snow Leopard. Boy how happy was I when Expose (complete with captions) was refined grid-style. Most importantly, Snow Leopard got rid of support for PowerPC-based Macs, I guess that was what made it lightweight and stable...? Apple did emphasised that Snow Leopard was to be an under-the-hood refinement of Leopard. And yes, I was aware of how people would hate SL Expose that they would hack it to revert to the old-style Leopard Expose...

Lion came, Expose and Spaces (another PITA feature devolution) were unified. I guess I don't need to explain further on Expose as it was a total mess just like Leopard, and groped (yes you read it right - groped!)...! Mountain Lion came to reverse some of those mistakes, but unfortunately it still retains the mess of Leopard.

Expose aside, Mountain Lion is as much as bloated as Leopard, though it supposed to carry some refinements over Lion, but it does not come close in performance and stability of Snow Leopard. People have been saying, and thus proving for instance, graphical performance is superior in ML than SL. No doubt it's true. But at what cost...? Instabilities...? Graphical choppiness...? Why the iOS fanciness with unnecessary resource-hogging windows animations...? I BOINC my science project every now and then, SL does one WU by 1h 50m, ML does in 1h 49m...? I wouldn't trade 1 minute of performance over such aforementioned problems.

SL starts up with less than 400 process threads, while ML starts with over 600... They stay there whether or not you utilise the iOSified features. Bloated isn't it...? Expose is just one of the many screw ups on L/ML.

Now we're seeing an annual cycle update of OS X, which means more features will be introduced, more resources will be needed, consumer will have to upgrade more often, maybe 2 to 3 years once as opposed to 4 to 5 years during the PowerPC era...?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion