Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I wish Apple would allow downloading MP3s from websites/apps to integrate into iOS's Music app.

I buy music from Amazon all the time and I can't put it into my Music app without using my Mac. How can I use an iPad as a computer replacement if it can't even do that!

Use Amazon's cloud player, allows you to download or stream all your Amazon library. Your call

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I love how I can shop around for digital music these days and am not locked into buying music from whoever I bought my "mp3 player" from. Great days for digital music these are.

Now, if only the movie industry would take notice and follow. I think they need to realize that pirates are going to be pirates, so you might as well make the best possible experience for the paying customers.

mikefj2004

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Amazon MP3 is better

Make no mistake about it, while iTunes still has a relatively larger library than Amazon (keyword: "relatively"), Amazon easily outpaces iTunes in terms of song/album deals. I never really understood why people buy iTunes songs/albums while the majority of time, those same songs/albums are much cheaper on Amazon. I can't begin to tell you how many times I was about to buy a $9.99 album on iTunes but checked on Amazon and the exact same album at the exact same bit rate was only $4.99. I don't know how Amazon does it nor do I care but Amazon is easily the better option of the two and now with the new rip feature and better integration into the iOS system, I'm in all the way with Amazon.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Use Amazon's cloud player, allows you to download or stream all your Amazon library. Your call

I get that - hence my original post. If Apple just allowed iOS to save things (besides Photos), it would solve having multiple music apps.

I use Dropbox a lot to exchange demo songs with my band. However, I need to remember to go into Dropbox to play those songs. Basically, Apple forces users to remember where each files (songs) are saved; did I have that song in Dropbox or in the Music app on my iPhone? It doesn't seem intuitive.

Plus, you can't sure Siri to access songs stored on Amazon's Cloud player. Siri is awesome when I'm driving and want to hear a song but doesn't work with third-party apps that way.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
When Amazon released its Auto-Rip feature this week, I was thrilled. Now I have access to much of the music that I purchased, yet cannot play on my iOS devices.

Why can't I play those songs on my iOS devices?

Because Apple has limited the storage size for years now, with 64GBs being the largest you can get on your iPod or iPad. So I had to make choices about what I carry on my iOS device, and that means chopping down severely on the video and music.

I remember the iPod Classic had a 256GB capacity, but those days seem to be long gone. Apple just doesn't seem interested in giving us more storage, instead wanting to encourage iCloud storage it seems. Well I don't always have access to a Wi-Fi signal and certainly don't want to use expensive cellular access for downloading music, so downloading/streaming isn't always practical.

Apple, give us more storage capacity!!!

I had the same dilemma until iTunes Match was introduced. iTM may not be the solution for everyone, but it's awesome to be able to listen to any and everything in my collection on the go without having to carefully consider what to put on my phone ahead of time. Plus I can log into iTunes on any computer and stream my own music! I love it (usually).

Annnnyway, it's about time Amazon made its MP3 store more accessible. Before I had to wait to get home to buy, so this is much better.

New albums at $2.99? Win. The Apple ecosystem is a better experiance, but it's hard to ignore the fire sales Amazon has been having when you're saving 8, 9, 10 bucks per album.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Make no mistake about it, while iTunes still has a relatively larger library than Amazon (keyword: "relatively"), Amazon easily outpaces iTunes in terms of song/album deals. I never really understood why people buy iTunes songs/albums while the majority of time, those same songs/albums are much cheaper on Amazon. I can't begin to tell you how many times I was about to buy a $9.99 album on iTunes but checked on Amazon and the exact same album at the exact same bit rate was only $4.99. I don't know how Amazon does it nor do I care but Amazon is easily the better option of the two and now with the new rip feature and better integration into the iOS system, I'm in all the way with Amazon.

I am there with you. Over the holidays Amazon had the $2.99 per hot album deal. And throughout the years you get insane deals. Just this past year I got Frank Sinatra's greatest hits for 99 cents, the whole 18 track album. Now I am not a huge fan of Old Blue Eyes but for 99 cents I bought it, and discovered actually that I know most if not all of his songs.

Same with the Bee Gees, 99 cents one day deal.

Whenever I buy a CD (rarely, only for specific artists), I use Amazon too. So the most recent AutoRip was a great surprise.

Dont' underestimate Amazon! They are here to stay

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
It does work well, but it's still a bit of a hassle compared to browsing and buying directly from iTunes. The biggest problem I have with Amazon though is their use of MP3 instead of AAC which is noticeably inferior.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
US only? Hmm, itunes just launch to other 50 countries last december. Try to expand the market amazon!

agreed, they have to expand... I'm not sure if it's applicable anymore, but on Amazon forums, there are discussions about US customers travelling (outside of US) and, of course, unable to access their music/video/movies due to international copyrights and distribution rights.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
"The Amazon MP3 mobile website for iPhone and iPod touches is built on HTML5"

Bleh. I hate HTML-based "apps". They always feel so clunky compared to native apps.

well that is the problem with Apple 100% BS block on requiring everyone to go through them and give apple a 30% cut for being a payment processor. They have to do stupid workarounds.

Go bitch at Apple for this one.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
As many have noted here, the AAC files available in iTunes are far superior to Amazon's MP3 file format. Although practically speaking most will not notice any difference.

Since many people routinely blast their poor ears with extremely loud music while mindlessly strolling down the street, many people have poor hearing. So MP3 is just as good to those folks.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
It does work well, but it's still a bit of a hassle compared to browsing and buying directly from iTunes. The biggest problem I have with Amazon though is their use of MP3 instead of AAC which is noticeably inferior.

Ha! At high bit rates it sounds the same to me, but I remember trying to convince people 10 years ago that AAC at 128 Kbps was way cleaner than MP3 at the same bit rate. Now that storage is so cheap, I rip everything at double that now, but to be honest I have a hard time distinguishing between 128 and 256 Kbps when it's encoded in AAC.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I get that - hence my original post. If Apple just allowed iOS to save things (besides Photos), it would solve having multiple music apps.

I use Dropbox a lot to exchange demo songs with my band. However, I need to remember to go into Dropbox to play those songs. Basically, Apple forces users to remember where each files (songs) are saved; did I have that song in Dropbox or in the Music app on my iPhone? It doesn't seem intuitive.

Plus, you can't sure Siri to access songs stored on Amazon's Cloud player. Siri is awesome when I'm driving and want to hear a song but doesn't work with third-party apps that way.

Yeah Apple acts like their is no file system in iOS but in reality there is one and it is crap. Life would be a lot easier for users and developers alike if we where allowed to dump/save files in other basic location like media.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I don't know how Amazon does it nor do I care

Simple. Amazon takes it in the shorts every time they sell you something at such a bargain price. Enjoy it while it lasts; eventually investors will demand that Amazon have a sustainable profit margin. I'm sure my much-loved Prime service's days are numbered.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Given that MP3 is usable in far more devices, I'm not sure they would switch. Perhaps offer a choice.

Based on what selection of devices? Actually look into it and you'll find out you're utterly wrong.

It's been 10 years of AAC. Its everywhere.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Simple. Amazon takes it in the shorts every time they sell you something at such a bargain price. Enjoy it while it lasts; eventually investors will demand that Amazon have a sustainable profit margin. I'm sure my much-loved Prime service's days are numbered.

They've certainly done well enough for several years with their current model. And I'm sure your prime days aren't numbered. Amazon loves Prime memberships - it's another way to lock you into their ecosystem. In fact - so much so - they keep expanding benefits/content to prime members.

----------

Based on what selection of devices? Actually look into it and you'll find out you're utterly wrong.

It's been 10 years of AAC. Its everywhere.

I stand corrected. After doing some searching it does seem that AAC is pretty ubiquitous. More so than I originally thought.

ETA: But I do find it amusing that people talk about the audio quality between AAC and MP3 as if there's a huge difference and yet have no problem sacrificing quality when it comes to video. I guess I'm more of a visual person as I would sacrifice some audio quality well before I would sacrifice video quality.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I remember the iPod Classic had a 256GB capacity, but those days seem to be long gone.
I thought at first that you were exaggerating but I checked again and sure enough there was a 250GB model before the 160GB model that's been available for the last 6 years. When was the 250GB model launched? It looks like it's been completely revisioned out of history from Apple's website.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
I am one who still buys CD because I want lossless. I use iTunes as my player but rarely buy downloads. I have about 70,000 songs so far in my iTunes library, 90% from my own CD collection. I just tried amazon's new autorip feature using their player on my iPad. SInce I've bought so many CDs from them (since 1998), I have over 7500 songs at disposal for me to play in the cloud or download. Even CDs I bought others as gifts. Now they are not lossless if I download to my library (only downloading those that I gave to others and I don't have or some albums from CDs I no longer have) but I'll use this only when Im on the road with my iPad. It is a good idea to have that much music with me. And music I originally purchased anyway.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Switch to AAC, Amazon, and we'll talk.

MP3 is so 1999.

I don't really care. I download music from Amazon (if it is cheaper than the same music on iTunes), it downloads, goes into iTunes automatically, goes into iTunes Match automatically, and then I download again from iTunes Match on my Mac if I want to. It's available automatically on the iPad as well through iTunes Match (as 256 KBit AAC).

I stand corrected. After doing some searching it does seem that AAC is pretty ubiquitous. More so than I originally thought.

My wife's £30 Nokia phone plays AAC no problem. I think loading it with music was as simple as taking a memory card, plugging it into the Mac, dragging folders with music over, and putting the card in the phone.

Usually it is about 240 KBit VBR. Which to my ears using Grado headphones is not noticeably inferior. It's not even noticeably different. And iTunes Match fixes this anyway.

I am there with you. Over the holidays Amazon had the $2.99 per hot album deal. And throughout the years you get insane deals. Just this past year I got Frank Sinatra's greatest hits for 99 cents, the whole 18 track album. Now I am not a huge fan of Old Blue Eyes but for 99 cents I bought it, and discovered actually that I know most if not all of his songs.

That's nothing compared to the best iTunes deals I ever got: 100 songs by some 50's musician for £2.99. Turned out that six of the songs were actually defective, so I got six song credits, worth more than I paid!

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think a lot of people still by from iTunes because of convenience (it's an app right on the device)

Also - No doubt iTunes Gift Cards are easy purchases for people with iDevices.

Not that Amazon Gift Cards aren't great (and I know Google Play has gift cards now too)

But -

When/if I get Amazon gift cards - I don't use them for consumables. I use them for merchandise

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I love how I can shop around for digital music these days and am not locked into buying music from whoever I bought my "mp3 player" from. Great days for digital music these are.

Now, if only the movie industry would take notice and follow. I think they need to realize that pirates are going to be pirates, so you might as well make the best possible experience for the paying customers.

Movies will never become DRM free. Here is why:

Songs are cheap to buy. It's sometimes easier to buy a song then download it for free. Also helps to avoid potential viruses.

However, movies costs anywhere from $10-$20. Most people would 'share' or find a 'free' copy instead of buying. Or you can get a group of friends who each buy one movie, then share their movie with everyone else. If you have 4 friends, you now have 5 HD movies that you each only paid $20 for.

This is why the movie industry is reluctant.

I don't mind buying from iTunes because I'm supporting a company that I like, the ease of use of re-downloading if needed, and the ecosystem it has. I do worry what would happen if iTunes would shut down considering I spent well over $600 in movies and tv shows. Would I ever be able to watch them again? At that point, I think Apple would be required to release some type of conversion software to another company like Amazon or allow burning to DVD once.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
"The Amazon MP3 mobile website for iPhone and iPod touches is built on HTML5"

Bleh. I hate HTML-based "apps". They always feel so clunky compared to native apps.

Most 'native' apps use webviews (which load up html) for a lot of content.

The Appstore and iTunes store are prime examples - everything except the top and bottom bars is a web view.

If there is a slowdown when loading them up in Safari, that'll be down to Safari - not the webapp.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Love Amazon MP3. Cheaper prices and best of all they are in MP3 format and not that M4a crap.

Once downloaded, I can do whatever the heck I want with the file. Again, love amazon MP3.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
for serious music listening I use Amazon for buying vinyl, but for my iPhone its spotify and for my old skool 2004 iPod its iTunes, just because of convenience.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
What would be awesome is if they would "optimize" their Amazon Prime/Instant Video iOS app to support video over AirPlay.

Or if they'd fix the wish list functionality they broke in the latest version of their Amazon store iOS app.

Or if Cloud Player for iOS (or the website) had even a halfarsed decent UX design.

But, hey, why not work on their crappy MP3 mobile website instead? /sarcasm

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.