Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
How do I name my AppleTVs?

I've got an AppleTV in my living room, one in my basement and one in my bedroom. When I'm listening to music and want to use multiple speakers, all that shows up in the box where you can choose what speakers to send the sound to is "Apple TV" three times...I've got no idea which one is which. Can I name the AppleTVs like "AppleTV - Bedroom"?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I've got an AppleTV in my living room, one in my basement and one in my bedroom. When I'm listening to music and want to use multiple speakers, all that shows up in the box where you can choose what speakers to send the sound to is "Apple TV" three times...I've got no idea which one is which. Can I name the AppleTVs like "AppleTV - Bedroom"?

Yes you can name them. I forget exactly where, but go into Settings and it should be fairly easy to find where to do that.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009

Within the naming section of settings in the AppleTV menu you have some options for pre-filled names - things like Bedroom, Living Room...that sort of thing. You can also use your own unique names by using the on screen keyboard or the remote app.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Thanks. But how do you do it for the old style ones...you know, the ones that aren't a hockey puck? ;)

When you go to Settings > General > About there doesn't seem to be a way to change the info there.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I'm guessing in iTunes for the Apple TV 1. And btw- the "hockey pucks" are great devices! ;)

I've got 2 hockey pucks and one old style one. :D

If naming them are in iTunes itself, I can't find it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you have two "hockey puck" Apple TV's then I would change the name of those two in the settings menu as other people have pointed out. Then the remaining 1st Gen Apple TV will be the only one in the list that shows up as "Apple TV".

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
If you have two "hockey puck" Apple TV's then I would change the name of those two in the settings menu as other people have pointed out. Then the remaining 1st Gen Apple TV will be the only one in the list that shows up as "Apple TV".

Oh sure, take the easy road :D

I thought about doing that too, but I thought it would be a lot nice to name everything appropriately.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Can't you just open iTunes, click on the old Apple TV and then when you're in the device menu, either click or double click (try both) and then you should be able to change it. It's pretty much an iPod that hooks up to a TV, so I figured it works similarly in iTunes...

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
For the old atv1s, when you hook them into iTunes, don't choose the streaming option, so that it wants to actually put the shows on the device. Then click on the name in the iTunes column list of devices...you can then rename it.

Once done, you can then reconnect it in streaming mode and it will retain the name you gave it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.