Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:37 AM   #1
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular

Recommend me a tablet

I'd like to purchase a tablet. I have a Note 2 so I'd like something in the 8"+ range. I've been looking at the Note 10.1, the asus transformer tf201, and the nexus 10. But I'm open to any suggestions.

It'll be used for media consumption (Netflix, Google music, etc), check email, pull up my class roll to take attendance, email, PowerPoint stuff and word document stuff, work on class assignments for my graduate degree.

The chromebook looks like it would fit the bill for this but I'd also like to play games I've purchased from the play store and this why i want a tablet.

Thanks in advance
kiltedthrower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:44 AM   #2
MF878
macrumors regular

The Note 10.1 will give you the closest experience to your Note 2 (similar performance, S Pen, TouchWiz, etc.), but if that doesn't matter to you, I would probably say Nexus 10 (although it does have latency issues due to the high resolution).
iPhone 5 32GB White and Silver
MF878 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:13 AM   #3
hyteckit

I really want a 7.9" Galaxy Note. Have a Note 2 right now, but really want something bigger. Note 10.1" seems to big.

Maybe a Windows RT tablet?
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:51 AM   #4
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
The platform is pretty much dead in the water.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:54 AM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I have a iPad Mini and a Nexus 4 and love the combination of the 2 OS's.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Gaugerer
macrumors member

I would get the Nexus 10 or Note 10.1for scientific use and avoid 7 inch tablets which are not big enough for serious use and are not that much better than a 5+ inch 1080p phone.
Gaugerer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:07 AM   #7
taedouni
macrumors 65816

I have a Note 2. Get an iPad 3 from an apple store. More than likely it will have iOS 5.1.1 which can be jailbroken. Get the best of both worlds.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:11 AM   #8
maflynn

I like the nexus 7 as its smaller then the Galaxy 10 which means its more holdable and mobile. I also like for iOS the Mini but you'll be paying a premium for that. I have no regrets over the purchasing the mini, but I think I'll be taking the plunge on the N7 once I get some Amex gift cards (trading in my amex points for gift cards).
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by taedouni View Post
I have a Note 2. Get an iPad 3 from an apple store. More than likely it will have iOS 5.1.1 which can be jailbroken. Get the best of both worlds.
I don't think Apple sales the 3rd gen iPad anymore. Their site only lists the mini, iPad 2, and iPad (4) with Retina Display.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I really want a 7.9" Galaxy Note. Have a Note 2 right now, but really want something bigger. Note 10.1" seems to big.

I don't think Windows RT tablets are made in that size range (7-8"), I think they're all around the 9-10"+ mark. I could be wrong though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
There's around 40,000 Windows 8 apps now, it'll pick up steam. It's definitely not dead yet.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:25 AM   #11
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

Honestly I still really love my iPad. There aren't nearly enough apps to get me to look at Android in the tablet space just yet.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:56 AM   #12
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular

I appreciate all the replies.

My bought my son a Nexus 7 and use it fairly often. So while I do like the Nexus 7, the tablet I'm wanting to buy will essentially be used in place of my laptop. I have a work issued Dell that weighs about 900 pounds. When they remodeled the school, they jacked up the net connectivity somehow so in the room I teach, I can't connect to wifi. I realize the Nexus 10 is a wifi only device, which is okay since I can get a wifi hotspot plan.

The hesitation I have towards an iPad is that I use Google Music frequently, the games I like that I bought off the Play Store won't be available to me, and I'm not sure how well google calendar integrates with the iPad.
kiltedthrower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:14 AM   #13
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedthrower View Post

My bought my son a Nexus 7 and use it fairly often. So while I do like the Nexus 7, the tablet I'm wanting to buy will essentially be used in place of my laptop. I have a work issued Dell that weighs about 900 pounds. When they remodeled the school, they jacked up the net connectivity somehow so in the room I teach, I can't connect to wifi. I realize the Nexus 10 is a wifi only device, which is okay since I can get a wifi hotspot plan.

The hesitation I have towards an iPad is that I use Google Music frequently, the games I like that I bought off the Play Store won't be available to me, and I'm not sure how well google calendar integrates with the iPad.
I would recommend a Nexus 10, but they have yet to optimize Chrome for that high of a resolution yet. It scrolls smoothly on Mobile sites but full websites it is laggy to scroll. On my Nexus 10 I use Dolphin and it is much smoother. Until they get that hammered down I cannot in good faith tell someone to buy a Nexus 10 unless that is not a thing that would bother someone. It was honestly a big deal and would make me pass but since my GF doesn't seem to mind and Google seems to be aware as the latest Chrome build improves it by a margin.

Last edited by TheHateMachine; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:19 AM   #14
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedthrower View Post

Google music runs great on iPad, as for a calendar I use CalenGoo which syncs very well with my Google Calander and is excellent, Im not a gamer so can't really comment on the games.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 AM   #15
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular

Aside from the Google Play games, it sounds like you want a Surface or at least should look into it. Maybe Im just not a fan of Android anymore, but I would not be getting an Android tablet over Surface or iPad if those fit your needs.

Does Office, Google Music (gMusic), Netflix, and a nice IE experience which also runs Flash well if you want.

Lastly you could get a Windows 8/RT tablet with an active digitizer and do handwriting stuff if that works for you.
MuffCabbage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:43 PM   #16
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

iPad Mini

iPad Mini for sure don't even bother thinking about buying it if it isn't Apple
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:47 PM   #17
Sensamic
macrumors 68000

I really like the nexus 10, but the aspect ratio is killing me...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:49 PM   #18
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Pad Mini for sure don't even bother thinking about buying it if it isn't Apple
Intel Core i7-2600k | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X | Asus P8P67-M Pro | Samsung 8GB DDR3-2133 | Samsung 830 256GB | WD 1.5TB + 1TB | Dell U2412M
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.66GHz | Samsung Galaxy SIII | iPod Touch
ArchAndroid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
don't even bother thinking about buying it if it isn't Apple
Are you lost?

Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:45 PM   #20
hyteckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
I don't think Windows RT tablets are made in that size range (7-8"), I think they're all around the 9-10"+ mark. I could be wrong though.
It was 2 separate comments.

One comment was about the Galaxy Note.

The 2nd and separate comment was about the recommendation for a tablet. For his needs, I'm thinking a Windows RT tablet would be a best fit. All the Windows RT tablets I've seen are around 10" and larger.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:54 PM   #21
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

If its replacing your laptop, you should probably look into getting a surface pro when it comes out. It's a bit more expensive but you'll still have all of your laptop capabilities since its running a full version of windows.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:46 AM   #22
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
I used to think the same, and then I tried it out.

It's got a load of bad press, but I'm not sure its substantiated.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:00 AM   #23
VFC
macrumors 6502

If you want a laptop replacement and a touch screen tablet; I recommend the Lenovo Yoga 13. I purchased one a month ago, and since then have not used my iPad 3, laptop, and PC. I added a 128GB SD card and copied my camera images (~ 25,000 pics) and music library (~ 1,400 songs) and installed all my Microsoft programs. I purchased a number of my favorite touch screen apps and am really enjoying playing games and watching movies on a large (relative) screen. Best technology purchase I made in my life.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:09 AM   #24
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
If you want a laptop replacement and a touch screen tablet; I recommend the Lenovo Yoga 13. I purchased one a month ago, and since then have not used my iPad 3, laptop, and PC. I added a 128GB SD card and copied my camera images (~ 25,000 pics) and music library (~ 1,400 songs) and installed all my Microsoft programs. I purchased a number of my favorite touch screen apps and am really enjoying playing games and watching movies on a large (relative) screen. Best technology purchase I made in my life.
For pretty close to the same price you can get this...much better screen.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+U...book&cp=1&lp=1
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:36 AM   #25
VFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
For pretty close to the same price you can get this...much better screen.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+U...book&cp=1&lp=1
The Yoga screen does fold back into tablet and tent modes. I find I use those two positions very often and the main reason I recommended the Yoga.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices