Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Again, the choices that they don't about are simply ignored. I have seen this phenomenon happen all the time. Most people on Android (and iOS) just text, call, and maybe surf the web. These people aren't concerned about Android Beam, S beam etc.

Even people who only do those things will occasionally need to do something else.

The more options and features a device has, the more you will potentially have to learn about it. That's logical. With regards to options, it will be easier to find the one you're looking for if there are only ten options, than if there were fifty. Again, logical.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
This is incorrect. All you have to do is scroll up until it says release to update, and then release it.

Correct, that's the case both on Android and iOS

But the ease of use comes from the ecosystem. iCloud syncs everything over to all apple devices, Mac and iOS.

Agree, even though Android is getting closer with cloud/PC backup, they still have a bit to go until they get to iOS backups.

And then, you have the Genius Bar, helping with the device when your stuck.

If you have an Apple store close by. Until late last year there were only one in the whole of Sweden. They have now opened up two more I think, but they are still only in two of the largest cities.

Maybe the Apple stores are more widespread in every other country.

Plus with the iOS App Store, everything is supported, you don't need to check if it fits the screen size or the requirements.
You don't have to check that in the Google Play Store either. You will only be shown/be able to install apps that are compatible with your Android device.

Plus you need to watch out for any sort of malware/virus on Android, even if they aren't in extreme abundance.
If you just take a glance on the reviews it's no problem whatsoever. I have until my present iPhone 5 used several Android devices for the past years and have friends and family with Android devices. I haven't once experienced malware/virus on my Android phones and neither have any of my friends and family. This malware/virus rumor about Android apps are extremely exaggerated.

Plus all OS updates come right when they are out, not after a year or two. It's just easy.

That's because it's the same maker of both hardware and software on iOS. If you have a Google Android device (Nexus) you will also get the updates as soon as they are released.

However, on Android, the phone makers have the option of making their own version of Android by "theming"/"skinning" and adding their own apps and tweaks. A way of making their Android version special.

The drawback with this is that when a new Android version come out they have to put a large amount of time to update their version to the new Android version. However, even here it's greatly exaggerated that it takes 1-2 years to get a new OS version (it the phone makers decides to upgrade their version for that phone).

I agree it would be much better if the Android phone makers would give their consumers the choice of using their "themed" Android version or the "stock/vanilla" version straight from Google, which would give them faster updates.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
It isn't bashing, just a serious question.

Android is so simple my 15minth old son picks up my phone and knows how to look through y pictures or take new ones of his own

As far as pulling down to update, that's IF it works. There are many times I've had to do that over and over to get it working.

And sync is debatable.

Want to put music on an iphone?

Open iTunes which takes forever to open, then add the music, then if you added a whole album, you have to unchecked any songs you don't want.

It's easier to simply drag it all over and have it run rather than using special software.

Just out of curiosity. Do you own a Mac?

----------

"In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject. Actually, he keeps chiselling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Thus, contrary to other styles, being wise in Jeet Kune-Do doesn't mean adding more; it means to minimize, in other words to hack away the unessential.
It is not daily increase but daily decrease; hack away the unessential."

~ Bruce Lee

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Want to turn off wifi because it's holding onto a weak connection? On the iphone you have to go through your settings, then turn it off. On the GS3 you simply pull down the notification bar and tap the toggle for that, gps, Bluetooth, flashlight, hotspot, airplane mode, auto rotation and even adjust brightness.

Much easier on this phone than the iphone.

Jailbreak + NCSettings and you can do the exact same on IOS. Job done.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I hear that all the time about iphone.

What about it is so simple compared to a galaxy s III?

Want to make a call? Press the phone button

Want to take a picture? Click the camera button.

Want to send a text? Press the button

For basic features this phone is just as simple as an iphone and even simpler setting up the app market, copying music (can be a real headache on an iphone) closing all open apps, and a couple other tasks.

Then using the Facebook app, if you want to refresh you can't just press menu then refresh. You have to close it then create open it

Want to turn off wifi because it's holding onto a weak connection? On the iphone you have to go through your settings, then turn it off. On the GS3 you simply pull down the notification bar and tap the toggle for that, gps, Bluetooth, flashlight, hotspot, airplane mode, auto rotation and even adjust brightness.

Much easier on this phone than the iphone.

You don't want to tinker around under the hood? Then don't.

You don't have to because the OS just works, right out of the box at that.

So where did the whole "iphone is just so much easier" stuff come from?

And no, the point of this thread is not to bash apple (I'm a former iphone 4 and current ipod touch user myself) but just wondering where this idea came from?

While most of the basic features are now considered standard across the board in the smartphone world, remember that they were once not. Back in 2007 when the iPhone was first launched, it was simpler if you compared it to existing "smartphones" or what would grow to be smartphones.

Nowadays, it's the norm. Other than the basic features, though, I would still say other tasks are what I, personally, would believe to be simpler. Things like syncing music through iTunes, once iCloud is setup it really is simple, etc.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
While most of the basic features are now considered standard across the board in the smartphone world, remember that they were once not. Back in 2007 when the iPhone was first launched, it was simpler if you compared it to existing "smartphones" or what would grow to be smartphones.

Nowadays, it's the norm. Other than the basic features, though, I would still say other tasks are what I, personally, would believe to be simpler. Things like syncing music through iTunes, once iCloud is setup it really is simple, etc.

I can see that.

I'm not big on syncing because I like to know what's going where and my music library is huge (3 tb) and will never fit on a phone.

----------

Just out of curiosity. Do you own a Mac?

----------

"In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject. Actually, he keeps chiselling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Thus, contrary to other styles, being wise in Jeet Kune-Do doesn't mean adding more; it means to minimize, in other words to hack away the unessential.

~ Bruce Lee

Not until next month.

I'm still lusting over the sexy imac.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
It's not even that badly designed for a low end, plastic tablet.

It's just the app optimisation and lack of native apps which I was expecting to be a lot better tbh.

The bezels are also too large.

The back felt nice in the hands though.

I also found many apps and features of the UI didn't allow for landscape mode. Irritating is spelled with two R's, is all I could think before returning my Nexus.

~ Bruce Lee

Thank you.

I fear that too many fanboys, even Apple's, want more and more features for a phone, when a phone should be keeping things simple and functions at a minimum but well-done. It's still a handset after, not a laptop or a desktop. As Dieter Rams says:

"We need less, but better."

At the present course the iPhone will actually have too many features within a couple years. Freedom is not about choice. It may be hard to understand that, but real freedom is freedom from, not freedom to.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Want to remove pre-installed carrier bloatware? Just root your phone and uninstall. Want to kill apps that magically launch by themselves and run in the background, just run App Killer every couple hours.

These were two "simple" things about the Android device that I used to own that drove me nuts. I shouldn't ever have to do either of these things. Rooting your phone and manually removing apps might be simple for some people, but it is a confusing and dangerous (could easily brick your phone) process for others. And running "app killer" apps is simple enough, but I shouldn't have to install an app in order to stop other apps from running all the time. And I shouldn't have to use an "app killer" app all the time to stop apps that keep launching on their own.

Having said that, I owned an HTC Desire and I actually enjoyed the time I spent with it. :)

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
If it's so easy why do you need a "genius bar?"

Go in an apple store and notice how most people there are there with a problem
o

The Genius Bar is not just for iPhones as you used for your OP. Apple supports all their products. ;) The Genius Bar is one of the greatest things about Apple. It's called customer service. It's the one thing that mad me drop windows and Best Buys Geek Squad was a joke. I've owned every iPhone and ipad and can't seem to kill my old MacBook Pro. Only been to see a Genius three times in all these years. All 3 times was my fault. Not the products. Just knowing that "if" I have a problem I can get it fixed fast is perfect for my business needs. I travel around the world and would pay double for an Apple product just knowing the Genius Bar is there. Insurance is never a bad thing to have just in case.

Show me that with Android and Windows? You can't.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
The thing is Android whether it's from you're direct experience or not, has more problems. Every single one of my friends every other day or so is complaining about their phone glitching up or having ****** battery life. iOS is the more polished simplistic form that is more attractive. What you're saying is that standard necessary features of the phone are the same, and yeah no **** they are. That's like saying a lambo and a chevy are the same because they both have radios, keyholes, steering wheels, seats. And even though the radio, keyhole, steering wheel, and seats on each of these cars both "work" like basic features on a phone, they still look and feel very different.

droidapple

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
I'm a long time android fan & user and recently had to upgrade to a new phone for work.... and guess what i got the iphone5, WHY???? Cause the damn androids are glitchy. My brother, father, and girlfriend are all android users and all experience different problems... ranging from music player pausing while plugged into auxillary, cameras not loading or taking pictures that are corrupt files, phantom phone calls.... my girlfriends galaxy II had her camera stop working completely, my dads touchscreen on his incredible II stopped working, my Droid X was the biggest glitchy POS ever, my brothers Droid ONE happens to be the best of them all... and he hates it.

End of day i realized that I have a tablet (nexus 7) and its nice for any sort of media, movies, games, reading, etc... and that in a phone I want a phone that does 3 things and 3 things PERFECT!

1: makes calls and handles contacts, texts, emails.
2: has a nice media player, sounds good.
3: takes nice picture.

MY DECISION:

the only other phones i was looking at wa the nexus 4 (was unavailable) and the SG3... my problems were the size of these beasts... WTF there is no good android phone that is slim and not a damn half tablet... The iphone is straight up faster!! YES ITS FASTER THAN ALL ITS COMPETITORS.. my phone jams loading web pages and just using it! I'll tell you this though... ITUNES SUCKS BALLS! Music works flawlessly and its the best quality player BUT Android has apple beat on the whole "Music downloading" yes apple fans you can download music for free on android directly into your music folders... no need for iTUNES or a secondary music manager. BATTERY LIFE.. kinda sucks on the iphone compared to my old DROID X. I could get two days easy out of my old phone... The camera ROCKS on the Iphone5 hands down.

Anyways I wanted a phone to be a phone.. not a computer, not a tablet. I wanted it to fit in my pocket, make phone calls, play music, and take pictures.. AND MOST OF ALL WORK EVERY TIME! Apple makes a qualty product and some things about it are stupid (Like itunes). I'm not convinced the ipone5 is any better quality than the iphone4s though... just saying. I've also heard the GSIII screen is easy to break! I also would of purchased the nexus 4 if it was available.. supply and demand. After owning the iphone5 i think i would sincerely miss it if I had to give it up

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I have an iPhone and my girlfriend has a Samsung SIII. I never have issues with mine. She always does. Right at this very moment, she can turn her sound up, but the rocker switch on the side won't turn it back down. She's been plagued with problems like this every since she's had her SIII. As soon as she figures something out, a new problem crops up. And before that she had similar issues with her SII and her original Galaxy S before that. She's very tech savvy (as am I) and has installed custom ROMs and the like. So this isn't a dummy that just keeps screwing things up.

I don't think you can so easily generalize like you're trying to do here. But in my own particular case, my iPhone actually is just simpler than her Android device.

Her daughter switched from Android to the iPhone a few months ago and she agrees too. Her iPhone is simpler than her previous Android devices.

I'm not trying to generalize here, but I can't think of a single person I know who claims their Android device is just simpler than anything else.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
It takes me 32 minutes for my computer to recognize my SGS3 when I plug it into my computer (far longer than any other phone).

It hurts my eyes having that AMOLED screen.

People always complain they can't hear me when I'm talking to them on it.

It's too big for my pockets and too small for my case.

It hurts to hold for long periods of time.

The phone smells funny.

It's really slow to open up apps.

The battery only lasts an hour.

(just working on BS I'm going to go post on the SGS3 forums with my first post)

LMAO...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.