Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:40 AM   #126
FlexPen76
macrumors regular

I got in my order on 7th Dec and got the 6-7 week lead time. Thought about it and tried to cancel, but couldn't as I was outside the hour window. So I thought I'd wait it out. Reading all these got me hyped for device and up until today delivery was estimated for 23rd Jan. woke to a mail this morning that my order has been cancelled. Really peeved now!
FlexPen76 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:59 AM   #127
tjl3
macrumors 6502a

Just noticed this head scratcher and thought i was seeing things, Nexus 4 now $549 retail price at t-mo... up from $499 a week ago...

Saw this yesterday at the store, assumed it was due to the $50 monthly 4G plan...
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:03 AM   #128
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
Do you really believe that Google wants people to buy the Nexus 4?
They would have spent a decent amount in developing the product and marketing it, so yes.

Quote:
They are losing money on each device sold.
Source? Everything i've read estimates either they are breaking even or making a small profit.

Also, your statement demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge regarding Google's history with hardware launches. Even on devices where they have been making significant profits they've managed to turn it into a farce. It's almost a tradition now.

Your statement also contradicts LG which has stated that Google massively underestimated demand (you know - the logical, non-conspiracy theory explanation) but that they are now massively ramping up production.
SlCKB0Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:21 AM   #129
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
They would have spent a decent amount in developing the product and marketing it, so yes.

Source? Everything i've read estimates either they are breaking even or making a small profit.

Also, your statement demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge regarding Google's history with hardware launches. Even on devices where they have been making significant profits they've managed to turn it into a farce. It's almost a tradition now.

Your statement also contradicts LG which has stated that Google massively underestimated demand (you know - the logical, non-conspiracy theory explanation) but that they are now massively ramping up production.
I would like to see that too...there is no way they are taking a loss on each device.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 AM   #130
tjl3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
We've all watched The Verge's video on Google's insight to the Nexus 4. But honestly I question how much of it Google actually developed. Sure it has wireless charging, and they dictated the back being made of glass, the chamfered edge, a 16:10 screen, and no physical home button... but its a rehashed Optimus G. They weren't designing it from scratch.

That said, LG can't be thrilled of a device selling w/o their interface, but its win-win for them. I won't even guess how Google goes about contracting a Nexus device. But is it Google that determines how many to ship to other vendors? I can buy that Google dropped the ball on the lack of stock on the playstore, but what about other outlets like T-mo?
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:46 PM   #131
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl3 View Post
But is it Google that determines how many to ship to other vendors? I can buy that Google dropped the ball on the lack of stock on the playstore, but what about other outlets like T-mo?
I would suggest that Google retains absolute control over that stuff, including the total number of units to be produced. This in turn would obviously affect stock levels to all vendors.
SlCKB0Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:57 PM   #132
maflynn

Looks like the Nexus 4 is now available to order with a ship date of 1 to 2 weeks
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...n-the-u.s-too/
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 PM   #133
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Just put in my order for a 16GB! 1-2 weeks shipping, but I'm hoping it'll be sooner than that.....

Will update when I have shipped confirmation!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:57 AM   #134
FlexPen76
macrumors regular

Got my order back in just after UK store got restocked yesterday. Confirmation received today its been shipped. Yay! No sign of the bumper yet though. Boo!
FlexPen76 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 AM   #135
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl3 View Post
We've all watched The Verge's video on Google's insight to the Nexus 4. But honestly I question how much of it Google actually developed. Sure it has wireless charging, and they dictated the back being made of glass, the chamfered edge, a 16:10 screen, and no physical home button... but its a rehashed Optimus G. They weren't designing it from scratch.

That said, LG can't be thrilled of a device selling w/o their interface, but its win-win for them. I won't even guess how Google goes about contracting a Nexus device. But is it Google that determines how many to ship to other vendors? I can buy that Google dropped the ball on the lack of stock on the playstore, but what about other outlets like T-mo?
Where the hell is that little device....seems like the nexus 5 will be out before that orb.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:54 PM   #136
Fed
macrumors 6502

Good news to everyone who ordered their Nexus 4 when they were restocked the other day. I ordered mine at 15:03 in the UK and it's just been shipped. So much for 1-2 weeks!
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:01 PM   #137
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Good news to everyone who ordered their Nexus 4 when they were restocked the other day. I ordered mine at 15:03 in the UK and it's just been shipped. So much for 1-2 weeks!
Hoping that means the US isn't as far behind....maybe shipping confirmation in a few days?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:58 PM   #138
Twixt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig Bitties View Post
I am shocked at how the Nexus 4 release has been handled. We are almost into the third month since release, and since last month, it has been sold out, and no longer available to order. I could see it being out of stock, with maybe a 2 - 3 week lead time, but there has been no news whatsoever from Google as to when it will be fully back in stock and for sale again ? Both Google and LG have been very silent in the new year about the Nexus 4.

Some say, it has a 8 - 9 week lead time from order, that's ***** crazy

What's the real story here ? Is LG to blame for not producing enough ? Is Google to blame, for not ordering enough from LG to start off with, thinking it would be a low volume seller ? Does Google not even care it's not available for sale anymore, because they don't make much money off such a low and cheap seller ?

Maybe Google have an all new Nexus 5 coming sooner, after Google I/O in Summer, with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie ?
google is loosing 150 to 200 usd on each device, do you really think they wanna ship 50 million of Nexus 4 ? I highly doubt it...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:34 PM   #139
onthecouchagain
Banned

Charging orb for $59.99.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01...ile-for-59-99/

Nooooo thank you.

My desire to keep the Nexus 4 dims day by day.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:19 AM   #140
Fed
macrumors 6502

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Hoping that means the US isn't as far behind....maybe shipping confirmation in a few days?
I'd hope so, waited long enough!

It's 'Out for delivery' according to tracking! Excellent

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Charging orb for $59.99.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/01...ile-for-59-99/

Nooooo thank you.

My desire to keep the Nexus 4 dims day by day.
If its the same as the charging dock that came with the Palm Pre, no thanks.

It was a damn fiddle and very gimmicky.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:09 AM   #141
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I'd hope so, waited long enough!

It's 'Out for delivery' according to tracking! Excellent [COLOR="#808080"]
Mine too! I guess they overestimated the shipping time so they didn't piss a ton of people off again.....

Also have a feeling the wait killed a lot of the desire for the phone.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:38 AM   #142
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Just ordered an 8GB!
tensiondeadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:28 PM   #143
Cole Slaw
macrumors 6502

I ordered a 16 gb Nexus 4 yesterday (Feb 05) and at the time it said "ships 2-3 weeks".
I just now got an email from Google saying it has shipped.
Less than 24 hours after I placed my order.
Can't wait.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices