Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalJunior

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
UK
iPad Mini seems to be in stock in most places in UK now and some retailers even lowering the price to £249.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
9.7 inch iPad is soon history.

I doubt it. The iPad and iPad Mini address different use cases. I just bought a full-size iPad for the kitchen, since I wanted the larger screen. I'll probably buy a Mini for reading e-books when Apple adds Retina support.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Guess we will see what happens when the iPad mini have retina displays.

Looks like they might be more popular (largely based on price I would assume.)

Its not just price.
I've developed left wrist problems over the past 2 months, with only one change in my behavior... over that period I've started using iBooks regularly, using that hand while lying on the couch.
I'm looking forward to making the mini switch once it has retina.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Here We Go Again

In today's world (more than ever) the stock market feeds off "perception". Media stories shape perception. So what if people trying to manipulate stock determine which stories get "headlined" and "when"?

Nah...what a thought....geez that would NEVER happen.;)

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
It's not so much that Windows is a closed environment, but MS's monopoly creates that type of environment.

No. When we're talking about "open" vs. "closed", single-provider platforms like Windows and OS X are closed. Open-source platforms (multiple contributor) platforms like Linux and FreeBSD are open.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm using the definitions of open/closed as used in this industry. It's not a case of opinions.

Single vendor, proprietary = closed. The Cathedral.
Multi vendor, documented standard = open. The Bazaar.

Why do people feel "Closed" is an insult and absolutely must defend so kind of twisted notion that "Windows is open!". Windows is a closed operating system, it uses a different development model than an open operating system. No wrong about that. Closed or Open is not inherently Bad vs Good.

You didn't follow my original post which is what your problem is. I don't and didn't need you to pull up definitions of what a closed system is in the industry. I know exactly what it is. My original post wasn't trying to put out the actual information of a what the industry considers to be a closed system. Your problem is you don't READ and then you make up lies and refuse to own up to it, such as you saying that I said MS uses Windows to push their other products. I never said any of the such, so you either lied or you misread my post entirely, which one? Are you big enough to admit YOU were wrong?

I guess when I attend Macworld at the end of the month and come back here with info on new products you'll tell me I was wrong about what I saw too right?:rolleyes:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
No. When we're talking about "open" vs. "closed", single-provider platforms like Windows and OS X are closed. Open-source platforms (multiple contributor) platforms like Linux and FreeBSD are open.

Yes, I know that and after being so brow beaten here I should've worded my post properly.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
Doesn't surprise me. My wife has an iPad 2 and I just got a Mini. After 2 weeks with the Mini i FAR prefer it to the iPad. It is such a better weight and overall more usable device.

I can see why the majority of new buys would gravitate to the Mini.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Patently Apple calls all these reports "fluffy nothing" - which is a turn of phrase I rather like.

What other company invites such powerful link-baiting controversy on rumors of slowing component orders after the holiday rush?

Actual evidence of slowing sales would be a real indication of a problem for Apple, which so far we do not have (although certainly not outside of the realm of possibility!).

Anyone else eyeing Apple's knee-jerk dropping stock price for a potential buy these days?

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
No, you're completely wrong, see my post on page 1. What he said was that 10 inch was the minimum size to make great tablet apps :

That means he would find the iPad Mini to not be a platform where its possible to make great tablet apps.

People are always so quick to rewrite what Steve said. Good thing the Internet remembers quotes. Don't rewrite history, Steve wasn't always right about everything! Steve is allowed to be wrong.

Didn't you know Steve is God and Apple is always right?:rolleyes:;)

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think what might be happening is that Sharp is now switching over to IGZO touchscreen panels for the next-generation iPad (the 9.7" model that will now look like an iPad mini writ large) and the nex-generation iPad mini (now with true Retina Display quality).

And it may be a sign that Apple's much-rumored TV set will use IGZO flat panels from Sharp, since Sharp has to ramp up production of the larger IGZO display screens.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Didn't you know Steve is God and Apple is always right?:rolleyes:;)

A moment of silence, please.

flickering-candle-gif.21745

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Steve chose his words very carefully. The aspect ratio and larger diagonal together mean the mini has about 40% more screen space than the android 7" tablets he was talking about.

At it's current size, the standard iOS on screen interface elements are a shade over the minimum touch target size Apple recommends as usable, based on their usability research. That's not true of the Android tablets.

Steve knew his stuff.

Simon Hibbs

Carefully? "7-Inch tablets are dead on arrival"

But of course this is a really bad thing: iPad Mini has a considerable lower margin than the 10-inch iPad. I'll say it again: if Apple is not releasing a break through product in 2013 I indeed think they are doomed. Competition will have caught up copying their products or even innovated to put Apple's products to shame.

----------

Doesn't surprise me. My wife has an iPad 2 and I just got a Mini. After 2 weeks with the Mini i FAR prefer it to the iPad. It is such a better weight and overall more usable device.

I can see why the majority of new buys would gravitate to the Mini.

Agreed, for most people and especially kids the Mini format is much preferable. Nevertheless in a professional audio environment I would really like to see Apple release a 27" tablet to use as a controller/ mixing desk.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I would have to say that I was rather taken by the iPad Mini. I've always considered my iPad to be too heavy and too big at times. It begs to be taken everywhere, but it's just big enough to need a dedicated bag when I do take it out of my office.

My Note 2 has since replaced the iPad for most of the mobile work I do, but I've been eyeballing a more up-to-date Mini to fill in the need for an actual tablet.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
WSJ is a respected institution in financial journalism. Reuters is just a news aggregator. Again, credibility counts for a lot in these stories. Just the fact that the WSJ was reporting the iPhone 5 made it more credible that some random Reuteurs piece.

WSJ was a well respected institution. Reuters is not just a news aggregator. In fact, most of the respected news outlets be they print or broadcast subscribe to Reuters either in the form of wires or original video content.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Saturated market?

Yeap. When you introduce two ipad updates each year, the market will eventually saturate. I suppose you can avoid market saturation by introducing disposable iPads, keeping production of new models as the same pace as they are now.:rolleyes:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
The iPad Mini is a sweet piece of hardware. I'll be getting it the next time I purchase a personal, non-employer-owned, iPad.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
And investors will overreact once again.

The anal-ists and shorts still manipulate this stock, seemingly more than that of other companies. Maybe Apple should buy back a lot of it now.

90% of people are happy enough with the actual power of devices, leaving it up to screen technology and style and price to sell. And it seems short product cycles are the rule now as Apple is starting to compete with the product cycles of competitors and possibly even on price in the future.

Last edited:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I still find it funny that the product Jobs said nobody wanted it stealing the tablet show at Apple by most accounts. Even though Mini is not for me at this point, I'm still happy that Apple is giving the customer the choice. Now if they could only do the same with the iPhone...

They're potentially leaving a bunch of money on the table, which is snapped by Samsung who offers their customers a choice regarding their smartphones. Hopefully Tim will realize one day what's going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.