Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joesph Lee

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
home
Previous Setup

Current Setup!

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 GHZ Intel Core i7
16GB 1600 MHz DD
Fusion SSD 1.1TB
Operating System Mac OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion

Asus VE278Q 27-Inch LED, HDMI LCD 2ms, IPS with speakers
Apple wireless keyboard, magic trackpad and Microsoft Sculpt touch Mouse
Wacom intuos 4
WD 500GB external Hard Drive

Full restored Macintosh Color Classic running Mac OS 7.6
Apple Design Speakers and Apple Adjustable keyboard
Apple External CD-Caddy drive
hey, I have the same chair as you , the lane staples racing chair!!! but mine has cracks and rips everywhere T_T

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
So I have a quick question. I've noticed a few of you using MacBook/Pro stands. What's the advantage of doing that over leaving the notebook open and using it as a second display? Most of you have enough desk real estate to do so.

Just curious. I feel like I'm trapped in a box if I don't have dual monitors (at least when I'm 'sitting down' to get some work done), and I look at that and that looks to me like a dual monitor setup with one monitor shut off, like a car with three tires! lol.

Just curious.

-John

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Not the OP, but no, a hard drive can run in any orientation no problem.

It was an issue years ago (a principle and cited reason for the iMac G4 having a 'base' as opposed to a sideways mounted drive behind the LCD). But absolutely, anymore the drives are designed to and can easily handle it.

You'll be hard pressed to find a data center that doesn't have a few hundred or a few thousand sideways mounted hard drives operating faster than 7200rpm!

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I don't like sitting behind a desk in a separate room :)

6097023.jpeg

6060637.jpeg

7209932.jpeg

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Nice setup! But why didn't you just buy a laptop?

I used to be on a Win laptop, because I didn't want a noisy bulky computer in the room, but when I switched to Mac I could have a big screen without bulk or noise

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Just added the Herman Miller chair to my Amazon wish list. One was purchased for me by my office manager a few months ago and I absolutely love it! Must have for home, with all the ergonomic adjustments!! :)

Here's a snap of my setup in London (Barbican).

IMG_0992.jpg

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Here's a snap of my setup in London (Barbican).

I love how even your chair is worth more than your mbp, and then there's those crazy speakers. How do they sound? they look way more awesome than those boxy monitors everyone has around here xD

sweet room.

DJ Racing

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Thank you. Is it not bad to have the Mini on its side? With the HD and all?

Others have already answered but no I didn't have any issues with the HDD being sideways. I currently have two SSDs in it now and also have not had an issue. It's a nice way to save space on my cramped desk

zwodubber

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
PA
Relaxin room with ATV2, PS3, Macbook for browsing, pioneer 521-k receiver with onkyo rear surround, front towers and center.

photo1-120_zps808a0e05.jpg

Main work desk at home

20120708_234558-2_zps87ee5b4c.jpg

20120708_234539-1_zpsa3b28008.jpg

J.Appleseed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2012
The Netherlands
So I have a quick question. I've noticed a few of you using MacBook/Pro stands. What's the advantage of doing that over leaving the notebook open and using it as a second display? Most of you have enough desk real estate to do so.

Just curious. I feel like I'm trapped in a box if I don't have dual monitors (at least when I'm 'sitting down' to get some work done), and I look at that and that looks to me like a dual monitor setup with one monitor shut off, like a car with three tires! lol.

Just curious.

-John

I just want to have a clutter-free desk, and my computer being open doesn't really help then. It takes up a lot of space and even though I have the space (I have a large L-shaped desk) I just want to work at a clean and empty desk.

That said, if I need to use multiple "windows" I just add a Mission Control desktop. Unless you want to look at two things at once you really don't need to have two displays nowadays.

I cleaned up my desk just now (yay for cable management!) so here's a pic to stay OT.

I'd recommend the TwelveSouth BookArc and BassJump to everyone that uses a MacBook. They're absolutely great accessoires.

original%20002.png

Attachments

• original 001.jpg
    original 001.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Gary86

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I just want to have a clutter-free desk, and my computer being open doesn't really help then. It takes up a lot of space and even though I have the space (I have a large L-shaped desk) I just want to work at a clean and empty desk.

That said, if I need to use multiple "windows" I just add a Mission Control desktop. Unless you want to look at two things at once you really don't need to have two displays nowadays.

I cleaned up my desk just now (yay for cable management!) so here's a pic to stay OT.

I'd recommend the TwelveSouth BookArc and BassJump to everyone that uses a MacBook. They're absolutely great accessoires.

Clean setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.