Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Lens (barrel/pincushion) and chromatic aberration correction are, in my opinion, the two features that are sorely missing from Aperture at the moment. I would also like better integration with Flickr, as others have already stated. The ability to re-upload is one thing I'd like to see in that regard. What's also missing, I think, is selective RAW adjustments. Sometimes I don't want to adjust the exposure for the entire image, but only for a part of it. The best way to tackle this would be to add and Exposure brick. That way, we would be able to have multiple adjusted exposure levels in a single image. Lastly, speed and stability are two things I would really like to see improved.

Add those features and improvements and I won't care one bit if Apple calls the update adding those version 3 or 4.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Lens (barrel/pincushion) and chromatic aberration correction are, in my opinion, the two features that are sorely missing from Aperture at the moment. I would also like better integration with Flickr, as others have already stated. The ability to re-upload is one thing I'd like to see in that regard. What's also missing, I think, is selective RAW adjustments. Sometimes I don't want to adjust the exposure for the entire image, but only for a part of it. The best way to tackle this would be to add and Exposure brick. That way, we would be able to have multiple adjusted exposure levels in a single image. Lastly, speed and stability are two things I would really like to see improved.

Add those features and improvements and I won't care one bit if Apple calls the update adding those version 3 or 4.

Chromatic aberration adjust is already there. It's under "add adjustment".

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The image processing is the least important part.

The big thing is better integration with professional workflows.

There are exporters for various publishing tools, but we also need exporters for other destinations, including social media. (the current Facebook/Flickr integration is pretty horrible).

Normally a pro workflow would write a custom plugin for export, but guess what? The plugin API doesn't exist anymore in the developer site, and the previous export APIs don't even work in newer XCode!

There needs to be better metadata input and usability. I'd like to be able to catalog a whole series of fashion items based around price, color, style, etc..

I'd like to be able to publish a blog post directly from Aperture, for example, without having to go through the filesystem. This should be done in a custom export API plugin that connects directly to our own web CMS, the way it does for Getty/Flickr/etc..

Also right now the Aperture database can't be shared concurrently among multiple computers and users, which is bad in a newsroom with lots of photographers. How is an editor supposed to pick a photo among all the shots of the day, for example? Does every photographer have to edit his own photos and export them to the editor? Where does a retoucher/art director fit in the workflow? And so on..

Right now Aperture's workflow integration is in its infancy.

+1 for this. I'm of the same opinion. There is a lot missing in Aperture when it comes to workflow. This is Apple's Pro Photography app. Where's iOS integration? True integration. Here we have this amazing portable device with a beautiful screen but using it with our photos is nearly impossible.

I want to see a companion app made available that links Aperture 4 with iOS devices. Let me import my photos into Aperture and then open Aperture on iPad and be able to review my shots, pick my selects and add star ratings. Have those changes reflect on the Aperture library.

In another scenario, let me import my previews off a CF or SD card in the field directly into the iPad, again pick selects and star ratings then when back at the studio, allow me to import the RAW images into Aperture 4 and sync up the changes made to the previews on the iPad.

Yet another big missing feature: hardware integration. Video and Audio professionals are able to use editing tables with knobs and slider buttons to edit their work. Photographers cannot do this. We're stuck to virtual HUDs on the screen. At least Lightroom offers a way to do this though it doesn't explicitly support it.

Aperture has reached a maturity level in performance. It's fast and works as expected. It now needs to improve (a lot) on workflow.

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
+1 for this. I'm of the same opinion. There is a lot missing in Aperture when it comes to workflow. This is Apple's Pro Photography app. Where's iOS integration? True integration. Here we have this amazing portable device with a beautiful screen but using it with our photos is nearly impossible.

I want to see a companion app made available that links Aperture 4 with iOS devices. Let me import my photos into Aperture and then open Aperture on iPad and be able to review my shots, pick my selects and add star ratings. Have those changes reflect on the Aperture library.

In another scenario, let me import my previews off a CF or SD card in the field directly into the iPad, again pick selects and star ratings then when back at the studio, allow me to import the RAW images into Aperture 4 and sync up the changes made to the previews on the iPad.

Yet another big missing feature: hardware integration. Video and Audio professionals are able to use editing tables with knobs and slider buttons to edit their work. Photographers cannot do this. We're stuck to virtual HUDs on the screen. At least Lightroom offers a way to do this though it doesn't explicitly support it.

Aperture has reached a maturity level in performance. It's fast and works as expected. It now needs to improve (a lot) on workflow.

Regarding iOS integration. I suggest you investigate Photo Stream. It's killer...

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
People have stated what they feel is lacking in Aperture. Have you told Apple by giving them feedback? Telling Apple what you would like to see doesn't guarantee it will happen, but it does give them something to think about, especially if a lot of people are asking for the same feature(s).

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Most of the time. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Most of the time. :D

I wonder how many people used the feedback for aperture and/or any other apple product that's seemingly withering on the vine such as iWork.

There's a lot I like about aperture but if Apple isn't going to dedicate resources to extend and improve it, I question whether I should dedicate my resources to using it. It works now but there's no guarantee that it will in the near future and that's why people are probably moving away from it.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
My Aperture 4 wish list:

Metadata
  • Find and replace
  • Export file names based on 'headline', 'title', or even custom EXIF/IPTC data

Image Manipulation
  • Lens correction
  • Better RAW processing adjustments
  • Better sharpening tools
  • Custom crop size presets
  • Diptych/Tiptych/ntych creation

Database
  • Multi-user/LAN-friendly library
  • Better support for Photoshop layers in file previews

Failing the above: Lightroom export support.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My Aperture 4 wish list:
Failing the above: Lightroom export support.
The list you suggest looks pretty good. Have you given feedback to Apple? If not, when you do so, provide more details, especially when you say you want better something.

As for Lightroom, ask for "Importing from Lightroom" as Apple adding this feature will probably trip Adobe into making an "Import From Aperture" feature. Of course you could always suggest that feature to Adobe.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
A lot of the features that people want are solved by plug-ins. If you want decent results using Aperture, and even Lightroom and Photoshop for that matter, plugins are the way to go. I realize they are expensive, but compared to pretty much every editing feature offered by Aperture they blow it away and give professional results.

I recommend Nik Software for some incredible plugins.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
A lot of the features that people want are solved by plug-ins. If you want decent results using Aperture, and even Lightroom and Photoshop for that matter, plugins are the way to go. I realize they are expensive, but compared to pretty much every editing feature offered by Aperture they blow it away and give professional results.

I recommend Nik Software for some incredible plugins.

I'm not a fan of plugins because they usually require the creation of a TIFF version. Built in features are non-destructive.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
What features do you want? No offense, but one of my pet peeves is people saying "We need a new version/system/product!" without saying why. Is there a specific problem you want fixed, a certain feature you want that Aperture 3 doesn't have, or just a change for the sake of change?

Okay... Here goes.
(And these may not be relevant for aperture 4, but maybe for v. 6)

The thing is, that many photographers and some ex-photographers (I include myself in this category) are feeling an immense pain with the whole step of post-production. Compared to the days of film, we take 10 times more frames and the workload of prost-processing a photo-shoot are becoming hideously arduous.

I specifically remember a wedding gig I had some years ago (the circumstances were challenging), which I'll use as example:
1 hr - discussions with bride and fiancée
1,5 hr - scouting the place, seeking the angles
1,25 hr - actual shooting
1,5 hr - image selection
29 hr - post processing (aperture and PS)

I admit it's an extreme example, but I regularly had to use 3 to 4 times the time on PP than on all other gig-related activities.

To be quite frank, a central reason for me to stop doing gigs was the amount of time spent on (basically) unbillable PP. I've even stopped shooting RAW.

So what would I (have) really needed?
1) A all-in-one software. Lightroom has PS around the corner, and in Aperture I regularly have to go into PS to do some final touch-ups (especially regarding "unwanted artefacts"). Apple should/could aim for a one-stop solution.
2) A "smart" solution. Say you import a gig into Aperture, aperture would start identifying the different settings (different lighting, different faces) and use some time to analyze the material and different subsections. With face recognition aperture could also suggest some automatic discards (lemons), shots with blur or OOF-problems. The remaining shots would then get a number (selectable) of automated settings (user-defined or automatic) treatments (preview-level), while at the same time trying to enhance the pictures, trying to keep the overall look&feel of the shoot in line with each other. Most of the processing here should be done in background.

I guess what I', trying to say is that I'd really appreciate a workflow, which would be based on:
1# import
2# automatic preselection
3# automatic application of settings
4# user selection of desired preset-set
5# user selection of images and touch-ups (in software)
6# export(s)

IMHO, the amount of time a photographer should spend actively tweaking an average image is no more than 20s. The computer could do a lot of the work for the photographer, but current software does not cater to this.

RGDS,

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I specifically remember a wedding gig I had some years ago (the circumstances were challenging), which I'll use as example:
1 hr - discussions with bride and fiancée
1,5 hr - scouting the place, seeking the angles
1,25 hr - actual shooting
1,5 hr - image selection
29 hr - post processing (aperture and PS)

Sorry for being a little off topic, but if I ever get into photography seriously, I don't ever want to do a wedding gig. I just don't want to deal with bridezillas and risk messing up. Nothing like messing up a girl's (arguably) most important day in her life. Besides, I'm just too shy to go around taking pictures of people I don't know.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry for being a little off topic, but if I ever get into photography seriously, I don't ever want to do a wedding gig. I just don't want to deal with bridezillas and risk messing up. Nothing like messing up a girl's (arguably) most important day in her life. Besides, I'm just too shy to go around taking pictures of people I don't know.

I hear you! Was not my specialty either, but I had to fill in for a friend (whom I often cooperated with), who had taken a gig to shoot some skydivers and ended up with his rear-end in a cast.

Nevertheless, I have real respect for wedding photo pro's. For most people shooting weddings, it's about feeding the kids (how many other times does the regular Joanne ever need a photo pro?).

RGDS,

calerouxz

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
Here's my own wish list for Aperture 4:

-FullScreen UI improvements (I need an import button somewhere, I like fullscreen view).
-Panorama Stitching Software (preferably in cooperation with Kolor, it's autopano giga software is really amazing).
-HDR creation (I don't use it all that much, but it would be nice to have).
-Gradient adjustments (I know Adobe's Camera Raw has this, and it is something I would genuinely use all the time).
-A better "retouch" brush, aperture's sucks in comparison to photoshop's offering.
-Better tethered support, it's a feature I like to use, but in some ways I can't be productive with Aperture's, because I cant change my camera exposure settings, nor can I view LiveView from my Canon camera (Canon's proprietary software does this, but having it in aperture would speed things up).
-Faster exports (not sure if it's possible, but I guess I can dream).
-Comparison view between shots, not sure if it's there or not, but if it's there, its certainly pretty well hidden.
-LAN/Wired Sync between computers would be a VERY VERY welcomed addition.
-Faster image load times (I shoot pretty heavy images, some of my panoramas are 1-2GB/file, and aperture need about 10 mins to load the full image, let alone export).

I guess I could make a larger list, but these are what I have on top of my head at the moment, I hope Apple will listen, after my MacBook Pro died last week I'm not too fond of Apple, but I hope they can patch things up with these updates to Aperture. :)

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
The list you suggest looks pretty good. Have you given feedback to Apple? If not, when you do so, provide more details, especially when you say you want better something.

As for Lightroom, ask for "Importing from Lightroom" as Apple adding this feature will probably trip Adobe into making an "Import From Aperture" feature. Of course you could always suggest that feature to Adobe.

Trust me when I say that Apple knows how I feel about Aperture's shortcomings.

Vampyro

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
I would love profile integration in aperture.
So I could use Colorchecker passport and custom camera profiles.

I would also like a better Clarity/definition slider. Like the one in Capture One 7.

Lens correction would ble great. And gradient tools like the ones in lightroom.

I realy love working in aperture. But I realy miss those features. And one more. Beeing able to open images as smart objects in photoshop would be great!

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
The exporter really needs more web CMS exports, including Wordpress, Blogger, Joomla, Drupal, etc..

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Distortion & Perspective

Lens correction would be my top feature (for convenience I use a 'super-zoom' a lot of the time, which is ordinarily great, but does suffer from visible pin-cushioning at wide angles).

Once you get into the swing of doing lens correction (I did it quite a lot on Lightroom), you really do notice when photos that need correction haven't been adjusted.

Also...

Next time you're out and about and take a photo of the front of a building or a row of buildings, notice how the windows show up as distorted trapezoids. Lightroom has a simple perspective adjustment, that can make photos like that look great.

As someone above mentioned, there are plug-ins to do this kind of thing, but you have to pay for them and - more importantly - they work with intermediate files. In-edit non-destructive adjustments for this kind of thing is the way forward.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Aperture's alright, y'know.

OK, it's getting close to 3 years (I think) since the last version jump, but Aperture's been running fine for me.
As with every software, there are improvements needed, and yes, some of them are painfully overdue, but I wouldn't give up on Apple just yet.
They're likely not wanting to release another lame upgrade like the Final Cut Pro fiasco. For all we know, Aperture X was scrapped at the eleventh hour and has since been in re-development.

This isn't the first thread on the subject, either (I even started one back in 2010) - An Aperture "wishlist" thread. It inevitably turned into a Thread of lists of what people wanted, including wanting Nik Plugins, lens correction, layers, better noise reduction, and so on. Then obviously a lot of chat about how Lightroom does it better, and how Apple is turning it's back on "us Pros" and how those frustrated users would threaten jumping ship if Apple didn't throw them a line.

So there's a couple of things here:

Aperture will get an update. It's probably being worked on right now. They've already added native retina compatibility, and a couple of features. The software is being worked on.

Aperture is actually excellent as it is, especially from a logistical workflow point of view. As ever, it's a RAM hog and needs some performance updates. It could do with being a bit leaner, and focus more on it's core processing, but generally it's a pretty decent 'under one roof' solution for photographers.

There could be any or all of the requested features included in this (and other) thread(s), but these things could well bloat the software further. This is why user chosen plugins are a good idea - you only use what you need that way. And if you don't like paying a few £$ for the things you need, then how can you justify the value of them? Aperture is incredible value at it's current price.

Lastly, MacRumors is probably not the best place to vent off about this stuff. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but f you really want to affect change there is no better way than sending reports and feedback to Apple through their feedback system. 99.9 times out 100 they won't get back to you, but I'll bet that the Aperture team aren't scanning angry MacRumors threads for tips and ideas for the next iteration of their advanced pro software.

Email Apple, think through your workflow, and what you think is 'missing' from the software and then carry on with your day.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I honestly have trouble understanding Apple when it comes to some of their products. It is as if they tease people into buying or depend on fanboy loyalty then drop the ball or rather drop the egg and crack it. Aperture is no different. There is no reason it cannot be the premiere front end tool for photographers and the like with both tools and catalogue-ability.

As much as I have tried, I cannot find for myself a reason to stay with Aperture and have gone to the other camp - Lightroom.

All the comments on what is wrong with Aperture in this forum thread are right on for the most part and all very addressable if Apple desires to do so. Seems Apple's handling of Aperture, film editing tools and the Mac Pro are (sorry to say) a real disgrace. I'll remain with Macs but far more wary of Apple software.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm wondering what's going on with Apple software in general. If they have teams working on any software besides the next version of iOS, they must be working on something truly amazing because we haven't seen much of anything at all in the last two years. Aperture isn't the only neglected Mac app that Apple makes. It's really rather bizarre.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I'm wondering what's going on with Apple software in general. If they have teams working on any software besides the next version of iOS, they must be working on something truly amazing because we haven't seen much of anything at all in the last two years. Aperture isn't the only neglected Mac app that Apple makes. It's really rather bizarre.

iWork comes to mind...
'09 still in 2013? Really Apple? How much bigger do you plan the sign of "we don't actually care about productivity" to get?

Aperture, iWork and the very slowly progressing, actually almost stagnating (in quality) iOS are the prime examples of Apple slacking in the software department.

I really hope there is betterment around the corner, because it's almost unbearable to see how much Apple neglects the stuff that so many people are screaming for a better version and bug fixing for.

Where are all those hours of work going to?

And then you look at Patently Apple and the likes and see what amazing ideas they actually have, but don't care to put out there.

Another look to the other side, namely Google and you really start to ponder whether Apple is in it for a late but very big bang or just counting on the fan advantage. (hint: that's risky, even the fans are losing their patience and when you hear Tim Cook talk about how unique Apple is because you can **** up and the fans will still love you, well... that's worrying. Does he take that for granted?)

Glassed Silver:mac

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I'm just switching from my 2008 iMac to a new mini and it suddenly dawned on me that I bought Aperture on disk so I don't want to pull the trigger on buying from the App store if a version 4 is released and needs to be purchased again!

I'd like to see an iPad companion app that fully integrates with the OS X version, maybe even works in tandem like some of the Adobe apps.

Given that Tim Cook indicated that a new Mac Pro is coming this year I wonder whether we'll see a refresh of Aperture to go with it?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I'm just switching from my 2008 iMac to a new mini and it suddenly dawned on me that I bought Aperture on disk so I don't want to pull the trigger on buying from the App store if a version 4 is released and needs to be purchased again!

I'd like to see an iPad companion app that fully integrates with the OS X version, maybe even works in tandem like some of the Adobe apps.

Given that Tim Cook indicated that a new Mac Pro is coming this year I wonder whether we'll see a refresh of Aperture to go with it?

That'd be a wonderful timing!
(Actually, any day earlier is appreciated, but at least your suggestion makes enough sense to sound plausible even for the longly awaited Aperture 4 :p)

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.