Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R-T-B

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I know about ebay of course, but the deal I'd be making would be two lump payments layaway style... Kinda hard to do on ebay.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I'm as big of a PPC fan as anyone, but my PowerBook 1.67 needed to be superseded by a MacBook yesterday. What surprised me was that it didn't involve CPU intensive programs, just little bugs and general slow-ness that made me switch up.

I'm a marketing intern doing SEO, blogging, and a lot of social media riffraff. Unfortunately, the websites I need to do this are either flash based, or hit me with an "Unresponsive Script" error when I try to use them. (Google AdWords) With Excel and Word open, and 5-6 tabs in TenFourFox, the computer had no problem "Beach-Balling" me numerous times, and I had to Force Quit a lot of things.

I was really hoping this computer would get me through my internship, but it looks like what is commonplace in the 2013 World Wide Web has finally killed it for me. :( If it weren't for the poor internet performance (due to the graphic/animated nature of most websites today) I feel as if this computer would be very viable for what I do, which isn't that intensive of work.

Computer Specs: 15" 1.67 Hi-Res PBG4, 2GB Ram, 250GB 5400rpm WD Blue (Fastest possible PATA HDD, right under the 320GB version), Leopard 10.5

For now, it's back to borrowing my girlfriend's old 2.4 C2D 15" MBP. It works great, but as many of us know, just doesn't have that PPC "feel" to it. :(

Sorry about that.

Funny thing is that I develop web apps using my iBook G4 (php, jquery,)

You know I was about to give up on the iBook when I had to make this video tutorial in HD, fortunately Windows Movie Maker died on me, so I had to use iMovie 6 HD. Man the videos look outstanding!! The most funny part is that I can make HD videos but I cannot watch them!!! LOL

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Sorry about that.

Funny thing is that I develop web apps using my iBook G4 (php, jquery,)

You know I was about to give up on the iBook when I had to make this video tutorial in HD, fortunately Windows Movie Maker died on me, so I had to use iMovie 6 HD. Man the videos look outstanding!! The most funny part is that I can make HD videos but I cannot watch them!!! LOL

Lol, I know! So you'll be continuing using your iBook for work then?

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
It is a good feeling! Still my favorite laptop in the house, just wish I could use it on a daily basis.

I will definitely check that out sometime next week.

It must be "broken" right? ;)

----------

I wish I had time to get into tweaking things now, but with a MacBoook at my disposal it really doesn't make sense anymore since it isn't costing me anything.

While simple sites like FaceBook and LinkedIn *work* on PPC, and I can't work using the mobile versions, they load almost instantly on my Intel Macs. It just doesn't make sense to stick with PPC in this case when I'm more productive on Intel. Hate it but that's life!

I am going to consider selling the 15" somewhat shortly I think, while the 12" I will be keeping as a couch laptop. <3 it.

Oh you still have it? I must have read it wrong, good that you wanna keep it.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
There is no G4 Pismo, this is the Pismo, a G3 500 was the max.(without setting the Max to higher Freq. or a 3rd party upgrade)Nitpicking;)

A beautiful piece of art and technology. And a great rig in its time. Steve Jobs was right when he said that form makes function all the more pleasing. That's why we're here.

The problem is, even though many PowerPCs can handle current needs, they're now at least ~8 years old. Things become degraded, break or just stop working over time. I've written elsewhere that I would no longer pay the premium price typically asked for these rigs, unless I wanted something as a collector's item and/or something to play with.

----------

Lol, I know! So you'll be continuing using your iBook for work then?

Re: The quote in your sig. <!WHAT IF WE'RE SIMS AND WE'RE THE ONES BEING PLAYED!>

You may have read that scientists recently reported that what your quote suggests is possible. What's difficult is replicating it in a lab.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
A beautiful piece of art and technology. And a great rig in its time. Steve Jobs was right when he said that form makes function all the more pleasing. That's why we're here.

The problem is, even though many PowerPCs can handle current needs, they're now at least ~8 years old. Things become degraded, break or just stop working over time. I've written elsewhere that I would no longer pay the premium price typically asked for these rigs, unless I wanted something as a collector's item and/or something to play with.

----------

Re: The quote in your sig. <!WHAT IF WE'RE SIMS AND WE'RE THE ONES BEING PLAYED!>

You may have read that scientists recently reported that what your quote suggests is possible. What's difficult is replicating it in a lab.

lol! I saw it on a picture The Sims Studio/The Sims 3 posted on twitter! :p

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
While there aren't many of us who choose to solely use PPC, though certainly some do, what's remarkable is that these relatively ancient computers are still *usable*. Maybe not great performance, but they are adequate for many (most?) things. I can't think of a PC that's 7+ years old that would work AND be in a state that would be semi-enjoyable (or at least not painfully frustrating) to use.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
My thought on PPC usefulness going forward - Are we truly doomed?

Here is one thought to ponder upon.. While yes, currently for most stuff a high end G4, such as the 1.67 PowerBook DLSD, MDD G4 Dual 1.25/1.42 and Dual Core G5's + Quad CAN indeed handle internet and most websites, there will come a time when the internet will no longer run at all on our machines..

I don't anticipate this to happen for quite some time.. a Quad_G5 can certainly handle heavy internet usage and even some flash as can a high end dual G4. But when the time DOES come that we can no longer do productive, everyday activities on our machines then it will be time to retire them.. The analogy, "so long as the machine can do what you want it to , it will never be obsolete".

While this is true in many ways, the day WILL come when PowerPC machines will not be able to access the internet and do the things we currently do on them now. There is still plenty of power left in a 1.67 PowerBook G4 DLSD, G5 Dual Core, and Quad, and MDD G4 - all these machines have the impressive power to continue to work for us, but as I mentioned... a time will come when our machines will TRULY not do what we are doing with them now.

If there are some developers out there who believe in SAVING this architecture from oblivion, speak and come forward.. I don't want to see PowerPC die.. It can still have plenty of life before the inevitable does happen.

Again, some food for thought and pondering..

PPCMM
:apple:

Last edited:

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Here is one thought to ponder upon.. While yes, currently for most stuff a high end G4, such as the 1.67 PowerBook DLSD, MDD G4 Dual 1.25/1.42 and Dual Core G5's + Quad CAN indeed handle internet and most websites, there will come a time when the internet will no longer run at all on our machines..

I don't anticipate this to happen for quite some time.. a Quad_G5 can certainly handle heavy internet usage and even some flash as can a high end dual G4. But when the time DOES come that we can no longer do productive, everyday activities on our machines then it will be time to retire them.. The analogy, "so long as the machine can do what you want it to , it will never be obsolete".

While this is true in many ways, the day WILL come when PowerPC machines will not be able to access the internet and do the things we currently do on them now. There is still plenty of power left in a 1.67 PowerBook G4 DLSD, G5 Dual Core, and Quad, and MDD G4 - all these machines have the impressive power to continue to work for us, but as I mentioned... a time will come when our machines will TRULY not do what we are doing with them now.

If there are some developers out there who believe in SAVING this architecture from oblivion, speak and come forward.. I don't want to see PowerPC die.. It can still have plenty of life before the inevitable does happen.

Again, some food for thought and pondering..

PPCMM
:apple:

I mean ultimately, this architecture in its current implementation cannot be saved no matter what. It's not an issue of software support so much as it is hardware -- there aren't any competitive recent PPC computers and haven't been for years of real-time, so eons in computer time.

As for the internet, I think that won't be a problem so much as just the general age of the hardware. With something like Aurorafox, it's still pretty darn speedy, the only thing you have to deprecate out of your life is Flash, but I've gotten rid of that completely on my Intel Mac as well because unless you absolutely need to use it, it's rubbish. Plus there will always be the mobile versions of sites.

The obsoletion of PPC kind of depends on your use for it. If you are a developer or need computational power, then PPC is already dead to you. My Air is probably 5x more powerful for running simulations and calculations, likely much more for threaded tasks. The PowerBook can't even run the latest versions of things as simple as pyMol let alone mathematical software and packages. But I only use my PPC Mac for novelty's sake and to run PPC only apps, like certain games, so in this sense, it will never be obsolete as long as it continues to function.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Ok, so if the whole computer community decided to dump flash for html5, do you think this will be a better move to prolong the presence of using PowerPC machines on the internet? Personally, I vehemently hate Adobe for what they did by not allowing updates to PowerPC for its stupid flash plugin.. I am for the end of flash even on PC and Intel.. its a resource hog and its too damn slow and corrupt no matter what platform it runs on.

If we, meaning Intel Mac, PC, and PPC can make our voices loud and clear, yelling "DOWN WITH FLASH!!!", then Adobe will have no choice but to abandon it and allow other, more productive schemes, like html5 to take shape.

If we can destroy flash and its presence on the net, then things will run much more smoothly on all platforms, esp PowerPC.

I mean ultimately, this architecture in its current implementation cannot be saved no matter what. It's not an issue of software support so much as it is hardware -- there aren't any competitive recent PPC computers and haven't been for years of real-time, so eons in computer time.

As for the internet, I think that won't be a problem so much as just the general age of the hardware. With something like Aurorafox, it's still pretty darn speedy, the only thing you have to deprecate out of your life is Flash, but I've gotten rid of that completely on my Intel Mac as well because unless you absolutely need to use it, it's rubbish. Plus there will always be the mobile versions of sites.

The obsoletion of PPC kind of depends on your use for it. If you are a developer or need computational power, then PPC is already dead to you. My Air is probably 5x more powerful for running simulations and calculations, likely much more for threaded tasks. The PowerBook can't even run the latest versions of things as simple as pyMol let alone mathematical software and packages. But I only use my PPC Mac for novelty's sake and to run PPC only apps, like certain games, so in this sense, it will never be obsolete as long as it continues to function.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Ok, so if the whole computer community decided to dump flash for html5, do you think this will be a better move to prolong the presence of using PowerPC machines on the internet? Personally, I vehemently hate Adobe for what they did by not allowing updates to PowerPC for its stupid flash plugin.. I am for the end of flash even on PC and Intel.. its a resource hog and its too damn slow and corrupt no matter what platform it runs on.

If we, meaning Intel Mac, PC, and PPC can make our voices loud and clear, yelling "DOWN WITH FLASH!!!", then Adobe will have no choice but to abandon it and allow other, more productive schemes, like html5 to take shape.

If we can destroy flash and its presence on the net, then things will run much more smoothly on all platforms, esp PowerPC.

This is already happening anyway. Many developers & websites are prioritising HTML5 over Flash. The majority of people hate Flash - regardless of the platform. And it'd days are definitely numbered.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

Well, we can't do much of anything even if the whole Mac community did, since at best, we account for 10% of the computers active, but this is already happening. Flash is basically deprecated on Mac OS already anyway, and even on Windows, Adobe is aware of its imminent demise so they've wisely done one of the most successful transitions in product strategy. Flash exists now only because a lot of existing content uses it, but very, very little new Flash content is being produced; in five years (maybe less than three?), I think Flash will be pretty much dead.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Exactly my point!

I can't wait for flash to be finally dead. I hate flash, even though I have no problem with it on my G5 Quad.. on my PowerBook G4 even with all the crazy mods I did to it, flash is still terrible on it. But for the Quad, it doesn't phase it one bit.

Well, we can't do much of anything even if the whole Mac community did, since at best, we account for 10% of the computers active, but this is already happening. Flash is basically deprecated on Mac OS already anyway, and even on Windows, Adobe is aware of its imminent demise so they've wisely done one of the most successful transitions in product strategy. Flash exists now only because a lot of existing content uses it, but very, very little new Flash content is being produced; in five years (maybe less than three?), I think Flash will be pretty much dead.

Falstaff

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Arizona

This is very well said and what I have "preached" for years. Any computer will still run very well and quickly if it is using software that was designed to run on it, as long as the computer is well maintained. The thing is, while we are constantly bombarded with the "need" to upgrade software to take advantage of the latest features, in reality most users will never "need" those lauded new features. We have all heard the example of how 95% of MS Word users only use 10% of all it's fat, bloated features. Most people just do not need all the nifty little do-dads MS pushes off on them in order to generate profit.
Yes the day may come when our PPC computers may not be able to access the internet. But computers have been around long before there was an internet. It's really a very new phenomenon in it's present form. It's the hot thing now. But a day may come when something else takes it's place. In either case, many of us will still needs computers capable for other tasks and running appropriate software, ppc machines can do those tasks.
My main concern is the day in which replacement parts become scarce and unavailable. What will we do then?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I can't wait for flash to be finally dead. I hate flash, even though I have no problem with it on my G5 Quad.. on my PowerBook G4 even with all the crazy mods I did to it, flash is still terrible on it. But for the Quad, it doesn't phase it one bit.

Same here but we can already use HTML 5 in Safari can't we, I have it enabled in Youtube and it does a better job than flash.
problem here with my Powerbook is that I only have 1 GB so it still eats my RAM and gets slower over time.

---------

Oh, I asked you before about Plex, you know which version I can download, is it fairly big, I am on a limited capped internet so don't want it to be to huge and not working again.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Cool, thanks for the tips. I think I might have seem some of their advertising on craigslist. If that was them they have a cool shop I think.

----------

You can use the UserAgent extension with TenFourFox/Aurorafox to do the same. But this extension also allows you to roll your own UA and use that.

The mobile browser thing is the idea behind Classilla, the cousin to TenFourFox for OS9/early versions of OSX.

In those browsers, does this add-on permanently set the UA to what you want? I'm asking because Safari defaults to "automatic" and I get tired of switching it every time. It's nice to have websites load faster so I think I'm going to stick with using mobile sites as opposed to desktop versions.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In those browsers, does this add-on permanently set the UA to what you want? I'm asking because Safari defaults to "automatic" and I get tired of switching it every time. It's nice to have websites load faster so I think I'm going to stick with using mobile sites as opposed to desktop versions.

Just to answer your question, all Developer settings in the debug develop Menu in safari are reset to defaults after a relaunch.(AFAIK)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Just to answer your question, all Developer settings in the debug develop Menu in safari are reset to defaults after a relaunch.(AFAIK)

I noticed that in Safari, but I was hoping to either find a browser that allowed the change to be permanent(until I decide to change it again) or if there was a way to change the Safari system settings to make it permanent.

And for me in Safari, I have to change the UserAgent settings for each tab I open; every time. For some reason the UA doesn't stay changed after the first tab.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I noticed that in Safari, but I was hoping to either find a browser that allowed the change to be permanent(until I decide to change it again) or if there was a way to change the Safari system settings to make it permanent.

And for me in Safari, I have to change the UserAgent settings for each tab I open; every time. For some reason the UA doesn't stay changed after the first tab.

I found a UserAgent.plist file in:
/Applications/Internet/Browsers/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/UserAgents.plist

Might be possible to delete all entries except the default one but changing it to the mobile one.
Open .plist with Property List Editor if you have developer tools installed.

My Safari just crashed, first time since forever, didn't change anything, just coincidence, but something odd is going on, no UserAgents in Develop Menu, might be Glims crash protection though.

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 64

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have a g4 1.67 I will sell, upper ram slot will not recognize ram and 6 and left shift key are unattached, think I have original box

If you want to sell you need to post in Marketplace section, also I think it is most likely the lower slot since this was common, it is not broken but Apple refused to update the firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.